Dennis Scott Jersey Retirement

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Interesting note on Scott - he wore #4 his first 2 seasons but wore #3 his last season.

I have no problem with the degree requirement. If we make it purely about athletic achievement then we forget why we give scholarships in the first place.
From the GT MBB press guide on uniform numbers.
1718395838413.png

MISSOURIJACKET

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting note on Scott - he wore #4 his first 2 seasons but wore #3 his last season.

I have no problem with the degree requirement. If we make it purely about athletic achievement then we forget why we give scholarships in the first place.
He wore #4 all three years at GT. He wore #3 with the Magic.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer

Huh, I never realized he wore #3, I just remember him in that #4 jersey.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I was there. It was unbelievably loud. I couldn't hear the guy screaming next to me. (but he only needed a 2, showoff)
I was there, too. Between that and the NCAAT games, that year was an amazing time to be a young fan.

On another note, something interesting occurred to me -

With football and basketball teams now having players jockey for the lowest number, it seems to follow that the best players will have a single-digit number. Apparently that's the desirable thing to today's player. So...will we reach a point when all the low numbers for some teams have been retired?

(Obviously won't happen in GT football, or in basketball anytime soon, but interesting to think a few steps into the future.)

BraveandBold

Georgia Tech Fan
As I recall at the McCamish grand opening, most all the legends of Georgia Tech basketball were recognized by name and uniform number, at least for those played after the SEC withdrawal.. I think they were painted over during the last refresh of the Zelnak gym. I don't think today there is that much interest in display of the the history of GT Men's basketball, except in the season press guide.

BraveandBold

Georgia Tech Fan
Scott could very well be the last player ever to have his jersey in the rafters, unless the graduation requirement is modified. I doubt any great players will stick around for more than one or two years.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Steph’s jersey should be retired by Georgia Tech University
I have always maintained, Steph made me a fan, BJ made me a lunatic. Now…haha…I’m sorry. JJ deserves his name on 3 in the rafters. I dont know graduation status, idgaf. BJ’s number 1 belongs in the rafters. He may not have been a national name but if you watched the games, $h*tfire, hot damn, whatever, that guy was smooth and amazing. He made me a superfan. My favorite player over players that are considered greats. Sorry, not considered, legitimate greats

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
I have always maintained, Steph made me a fan, BJ made me a lunatic. Now…haha…I’m sorry. JJ deserves his name on 3 in the rafters. I dont know graduation status, idgaf. BJ’s number 1 belongs in the rafters. He may not have been a national name but if you watched the games, $h*tfire, hot damn, whatever, that guy was smooth and amazing. He made me a superfan. My favorite player over players that are considered greats. Sorry, not considered, legitimate greats
Barry was easy to pull for as you could see him get better each year he was at Tech. Tech is hanging a natty banner up if he doesn't hurt his ankle. I remember watching him give up good shots and scream at the TV for him to shoot. His stroke was smooth as was his game. He should have had the John Berry syndrome.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Scott could very well be the last player ever to have his jersey in the rafters, unless the graduation requirement is modified. I doubt any great players will stick around for more than one or two years.
It takes a great player on a great team to be eligible for for a retired number. That is why there are only seven numbers retired in 105 years. the requirements are at https://ramblinwreck.com/jersey-retirement/.

I wish there was a way for GT men's basketball to better publicize the history of Tech basketball. They produce a really good media guide each year with the history. But I don't think that makes it's way to the fans. Maybe give out at the first home game each year to all attendees. It has every player by number and all letterwinners, all honors, etc. An example is at https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/2008-09-GTMBB-Info-Guide.pdf