Demetrius Knight listed as LB

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Dedrick Mills - recruited by everyone but Tech as an LB - says hello.

Paul knew pretty much exactly where to put his players to maximize the talent he had available. I'm guessing this is more sour grapes about TaQuon. It's worth remembering that the two QBs ahead of him were both sidelined by injury, Ratliff permanently and then Jordan after an attempted comeback. Too bad, that.
I'm glad someone else is aware of the QB situation that lead to TaQuon starting at QB. In my opinion, he never should have been a QB at Tech. He turned out to be a good place holder and played hard every game, but he should have been an Aback. We were really unlucky with the QBs ahead of him.

I made a spreadsheet a while ago looking at our strings of "misses" at QB and BB, and it's surprising the amount of time we lost on those positions.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad someone else is aware of the QB situation that lead to TaQuon starting at QB. In my opinion, he never should have been a QB at Tech. He turned out to be a good place holder and played hard every game, but he should have been an Aback. We were really unlucky with the QBs ahead of him.

We also lost Damon Mitchell to Arkansas right before signing day as well. They promised him a shot at QB, but he ended being moved around on offense and defense. He would have been in line to be the starter after JeT. That kid was big, fast, and an above a good passer. Would have been amazing in CPJ's offense. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck

I made a spreadsheet a while ago looking at our strings of "misses" at QB and BB, and it's surprising the amount of time we lost on those positions.

Embedding the spreadsheet didn't work, so here's a messy table.

Quarterbacks Post-2012
Name Freshman Year Senior Year RS-Senior Year Year Left Time lost
Ty Griffin 2013 2016 2017 2014 -3
Matthew Jordan 2014 2017 2018 2017 -1
Christian Campbell 2015 2018 2019 2015 -4
Taquon Marshall 2015 2018 2019 2018 -1
Jaylend Ratliffe 2015 2018 2019 2015 -4
Jay Jones 2016 2019 2020 2017 -3
Lucas Johnson 2016 2019 2020 2020 0
Tobias Oliver 2017 2020 2021 2021 0

B-backs Post-2012
Name Freshman Year Senior Year RS-Senior Year Year Left Time lost
Travis Custis 2013 2017 2018 2013 -5
Donovan Wilson 2013 2017 2018 2013 -5
CJ Leggit 2014 2018 2019 2015 -4
Marcus Marshall 2015 2019 2020 2016 -4
Quaide Weimerskirch 2015 2019 2020 2017 -3
Kirvonte Benson 2015 2019 2020 2019 -1
Dedrick Mills 2016 2020 2021 2017 -4
Jerry Howard 2017 2021 2022 2022 0
Jordan Mason 2017 2021 2022 2022 0

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was really looking forward to Jordan as a QB. He wasn't flashy, but man he was competent. Reminded me a lot of TW.
As I have said before, a team with Matthew at QB and Dedrick at BB would have been a team to fear. It would have been Navy in the Will Wirth days with a really good BB to go with it. We would have run the ball on anyone and only bad luck kept us from that. Too bad, that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I've always been a TW fan. He was technically brilliant and probably had the best grasp of the offense of any QB under CPJ. He just wasn't as athletic as Nesbitt or JeT.
2012 ACC Championship game vs FSU. Watch the TW pass at the 10:18 point. One of the best passes you'll ever see, a sideline Aback wheel route in triple coverage where only the receiver can get it. Of course, we later have the comeback door sealed shut on a TW int, but we weren't supposed to be riding his arm anyway.

ps. check out one of the best int's you'll ever see at the 11:30 mark. I sure miss ipod.

Last edited:

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
2012 ACC Championship game vs FSU. Watch the TW pass at the 10:18 point. One of the best passes you'll ever see, a sideline Aback wheel route in triple coverage where only the receiver can get it. Of course, we later have the comeback door sealed shut on a TW int, but we weren't supposed to be riding his arm anyway.

ps. check out one of the best int's you'll ever see at the 11:30 mark. I sure miss ipod.

And shotgun formation

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As I have said before, a team with Matthew at QB and Dedrick at BB would have been a team to fear. It would have been Navy in the Will Wirth days with a really good BB to go with it. We would have run the ball on anyone and only bad luck kept us from that. Too bad, that.
I could post what mathew s dad said about reasons to move on. Andrew

Yet Marshall took redshirt and returned.

In the ol the leave w years left are way bad as well.

The good knews for the players - if it didnt work out w the assistant coach, they always could leave early w gt degree. Note: tutoring has greatly improved.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is a great discussion. TaQuon Marshall played well for us. Yet he should not have been our first option. Ratliff, Jordan, Johnson, and yes Campbell were all better quarterback prospects, imo.

Outside of the Georgia Tech bubble, fans talk about the QB. With Marshall, we were below the line, imo, but, if you look at the other signed QBs in light of injury, you gain some perspective. I don't think it can be reduced simply to recruiting.

I think the pressure was amped up. This was true for position coaches and especially for the defensive coordinator. It was an unnatural environment.

So let's put the past behind us. Let's look forward to Collins future. Gojackets.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I could post what mathew s dad said about reasons to move on. Andrew

Yet Marshall took redshirt and returned.

In the ol the leave w years left are way bad as well.

The good knews for the players - if it didnt work out w the assistant coach, they always could leave early w gt degree. Note: tutoring has greatly improved.

Are you using talk-to-text while trying to see how many marshmallows you can stuff in your mouth?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Dedrick Mills - recruited by everyone but Tech as an LB - says hello.

Paul knew pretty much exactly where to put his players to maximize the talent he had available. I'm guessing this is more sour grapes about TaQuon. It's worth remembering that the two QBs ahead of him were both sidelined by injury, Ratliff permanently and then Jordan after an attempted comeback. Too bad, that.

Mills wasn't a position change. He came to Tech a RB and played RB in high school. I'm speaking when they got on campus. Example Days never sees the field if not for laskey injury. Marcus Marshall getting limited touches. Just night and day from the early Paul who would bring Lucas cox in at a back and have a jumbo backfield.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Mills wasn't a position change. He came to Tech a RB and played RB in high school. I'm speaking when they got on campus. Example Days never sees the field if not for laskey injury. Marcus Marshall getting limited touches. Just night and day from the early Paul who would bring Lucas cox in at a back and have a jumbo backfield.
Tell that to everybody else who was recruiting Mills. Paul was the only one who saw what he could do.

As for Lucas: Paul had him penciled in as #2 BB, but he worked himself on the field as an AB. Good for him. I fail to see why this reflects on Paul's later judgment on Marshall - he was an AB out of position, but was the best we had to back up Mills - or Days - he was already sharing BB with Laskey. Also, I doubt if there would have been much difference in the overall performance of the combo if Laskey got most of the playing time. He was averaging around 100 yards a game when he got hurt.