Demetrius Knight is a budding star

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
This kid has the build of a senior, as a freshman. He played fast and has a nose for the ball at linebacker. By the way, hes a true freshman and ran with the 2s at linebacker after being recruited as a QB.

If he can progress he may be one of the best linebackers we've had in a while. This is all potential, but his potential is THROUGH THE ROOF.

Last play of practice he went up for a ball and snagged it out of the air for an interception. Covered maybe 10-15 yards once he read the QB to go get the ball.

One last CRAZY fact. Miamis fastest players were corners at 170-190lbs. With the catapult system they were clocked at 22.5 mph.

Knight was clocked with the same system at 22.97mph at 230-240lbs... when I say upside potential I mean 1st rounder. This kid is CRAZY fast for a linebacker

From Ken's AJC article on fan day ---
"The last play of the practice was among the most eye-catching. Freshman linebacker Demetrius Knight made a leaping interception on the sideline over the intended receiver, prompting cheers from his defensive teammates. Knight signed as a quarterback, but was moved to linebacker and is steadily learning the position."

This is the link to the entire article --- https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...tech-fan-day-practice/FHS8v9m7hqJ0iQ145fvD1O/

bos

Helluva Engineer
This kid definitely looks the part. He's looks like Jalen Camp, and even bigger.

LBer is a very strong position right now. Swilling and Curry have a load of experience and still 2 more years. Charlie Thomas is also coming back stronger.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'm just amazed that as a true freshman he was playing with the 2's. He went from a position less guy with a ton of QBs to taking control of the linebacker position and may make a home there as a stud

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Talk about a diamond in the rough. Was unrated coming out of a single A Christian school when we took his commitment. Obviously a great athlete. Smart move to have him switch positions right away. Get him on the field ASAP.
According to rivals his only other offer was Tenn Tech. Unbelievable! He committed early to us but still..., I didn’t think it was possible for athletes like this to go almost completely unnoticed anymore. Kudos to previous staff for fimding this one

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
With his speed he can get a body on runners and not just reach out to arm tackle by being a step faster. He must have been dominant at class A level.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
According to rivals his only other offer was Tenn Tech. Unbelievable! He committed early to us but still..., I didn’t think it was possible for athletes like this to go almost completely unnoticed anymore. Kudos to previous staff for fimding this one

I know he at least had an offer to Louisville once CPJ left and Satterfield came on board.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

If I am not mistaken, he got an offer based on a camp performance and jumped on it. Geoff Collins was also in touch with him while at Temple, but I dont guess he had offered.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's just a straight up athlete. His size, speed, athtleticism combination gives him so many opitions.

He was going to be a good player for us somewhere no matter which staff was coaching him.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the photo sequence of his interception-- - on that play this guy played LONG. I see his potential is great, but 4 years ago i said that about a freshman mlb that started the last 4 years.

Really glad to see him doing great in the s & c program. Great find.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Kelly Campbell says hello. When Tech recruited him he was all-nada and had attracted zero notice. Until we timed him and offered pretty much on the spot.

Same as with Knight.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I had always heard at MLB the ability to read plays was the biggest single factor in being really good, does anyone have a read on that ability with Knight since he seems to be so new at the position? I sure hope he turns out to be the real deal, we so need good LB play, seems to me to have been a long time since the last really good MLB for us or am I forgetting someone?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I had always heard at MLB the ability to read plays was the biggest single factor in being really good, does anyone have a read on that ability with Knight since he seems to be so new at the position? I sure hope he turns out to be the real deal, we so need good LB play, seems to me to have been a long time since the last really good MLB for us or am I forgetting someone?
I think DK s hs experience will be useful. He was qb and played defense(iirc) at a smaller school - so he had to know and do it all. Hs coaching son talked a small college into taking chance on qb who would transition to lb. Worked so well they call my son every year saying please send more like him.

Eye discipline and reads/ reacts are essentials at the college level.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All that is true. Reads and anticipation are really important, so is tackling form etc etc. With that said, there is no substitute for speed, or in his case, size and speed. Speed never slumps or makes mistakes, it can only help make up for those. When combined with good angles etc, it is lethal. Let's give him time to get the fundamentals down and then smile when we see him stringing plays out to the sideline!! The news is certainly encouraging although I haven't seen anything myself. We badly need speed at that position. It is starting to sound like we will finally have some with him and a couple others as well.