Deion Sanders On The Flats?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I just don’t think he is the man for our program right now. IMHO the team has stumbled the last few years in part because we had a HC who was very self-motivated. Deion is about Deion first, second and third. He also loves making noise (distractions) for his kids to have to drown out.

Seeing Brent bring the team back to a blue collar, do it for the guy to the left and right of you in the trench is the sort of psyche shakeup we needed. I fear Deion would have us regressing back to where we were under CGC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t think he is the man for our program right now. IMHO the team has stumbled the last few years in part because we had a HC who was very self-motivated. Deion is about Deion first, second and third. He also loves making noise (distractions) for his kids to have to drown out.

Seeing Brent bring the team back to a blue collar, do it for the guy to the left and right of you in the trench is the sort of psyche shakeup we needed. I fear Deion would have us regressing back to where we were under CGC.
Or Deion could be exactly what we were promised under CGC but this time delivering.

Not arguing for Deion to be the coach over Key, not at all. But even those of us who were skeptical of Collins liked the idea of branding, media hype and high value recruiting. Doubt seriously that Deion would turn out to be another Collins.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I would rather win football game don't care about having another show
I am still wondering why people think he wouldn’t win? Why because he is at a HBCU and we are in the mighty ACC? That is a bull crap argument. I bet you have never watched one of his games. His teams are well coached, and execute on both sides of the ball. It’s not just because of the talent that followed him, it’s also the coaching.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am still wondering why people think he wouldn’t win? Why because he is at a HBCU and we are in the mighty ACC? That is a bull crap argument. I bet you have never watched one of his games. His teams are well coached, and execute on both sides of the ball. It’s not just because of the talent that followed him, it’s also the coaching.
It’s also the fact that the competition is horrible. These SWAC teams are barely above high school level. Deion is winning because he has a much higher level of player than any team he plays. He may be a great coach but you can’t use his SWAC resume as any kind of indicator.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I personally don’t want anything vaguely resembling the recent Deion vs Eddie Robinson Jr. interaction around GT. Wasn’t Deion’s fault, but I hope his high profile doesn’t attract it. He’s apparently a great coach, working on legit personal agendas, which is fine.
One specific issue: I wonder if he’d be ok narrowing his recruitment targets to fit our athlete academic profile? For example, how many of his current players could he get into GT?
I don’t see it working for him or us, but maybe I’ll be proven wrong.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I have to say, I've cooled to the idea of Deion after giving it some thought mainly for the bolded reason. Nothing against him at all, but there just seems to be that aura about him and I don't think it suits us. Besides, although are a few reasons why he may want to return to Hotlanta I just don't think he's going to want to bring his fireball QB son here to play behind our offensive line. He'll find another P-5 gig somewhere else. But if I'm wrong and he's hired, I'm behind him all the way. He's certainly an intriguing possibility, even if he seems kind of a prima-donna.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If we were to finish 3-9 like before he would be the kind of hire to get a lot of attention on the team and a bump in recruiting -- maybe. I would not expect him to stay at GT more than 3 or 4 years but maybe that would have been enough to change the trajectory we were on. If Key keeps winning we are on the right path again .

JacketFan137

Banned
If we were to finish 3-9 like before he would be the kind of hire to get a lot of attention on the team and a bump in recruiting -- maybe. I would not expect him to stay at GT more than 3 or 4 years but maybe that would have been enough to change the trajectory we were on. If Key keeps winning we are on the right path again .
i think just about any coach we bring in should be looked at as 3 or 4 years tops. now that we are no longer an option team if any coach on our team does well they are gonna gain a lot of interest from people who will pay them a lot more than what we will.

4 years is starting to look like a long time in college football for any coach outside of truly exceptional coaches at high profile jobs like uga, bama, clemson, michigan etc.

chriscarter

Georgia Tech Fan
the only question i would need a firm answer on from deion is who could he get to be his OC and DC. if he was able to get two high profile coordinators then we have no choice but to hire him. i think that would be more important as i see deion as more of a ceo coach.
Deion is doing a fantastic job at JSU. He is great with recruiting and his players. He keeps the team pumped up while having fun at the same time. He could bring whatever coaches he wants imo

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan