Defensive Line

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
when we stood up the runner it seemed like the pile kept moving for several more yards. I am concerned that we have a young head coach and a neophyte DC that are still learning. I would think a new coach would want a seasoned OC and DC to help learn how to manage a P5 program. P-node is experienced and there were decent plays called but Sims missed open receivers. We had terrible field position and had to make long drives. defence seems to be pretty vanilla and our DL locks up against the OL rather than attack gaps. still soft in coverage at times. We left a lot of points on the field that would have won that game. We gained a lot of yards but not many points to show for it.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have a lot of players on defense who just are not that good. #1 and #2 are just not P5 level players. #3 is alright but he wouldn’t start on most ranked teams regardless of what his last name is. The young guys need to get reps this year so the next coach knows what he has. Watching #1 and #2 run around there lost is painful.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
SOWEGA, I have ruminated today on what satisfaction is possible in following Tech this year since it looks very unlikely the W-L record is gonna be any fun. What I have come up with is 1) watching to see if they can get better as the season progresses which would give us some hope for next year and 2) getting a good look at some of the newcomers to see which have potential.

JoJaTeck

Georgia Tech Fan
The D line concerns me the most. I Know they were packing it in with 8 personnel but not to have any sacks or many hurries is terrible with this level opponent. And then to let their running back to light us up like he did is unacceptable. To those that watched closely, were we missing gaps and assignments like the last couple years. It looked like we never got any penetration at the LOS on any play - I thought our S&C program was top notch.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
The D line concerns me the most. I Know they were packing it in with 8 personnel but not to have any sacks or many hurries is terrible with this level opponent. And then to let their running back to light us up like he did is unacceptable. To those that watched closely, were we missing gaps and assignments like the last couple years. It looked like we never got any penetration at the LOS on any play - I thought our S&C program was top notch.
Why? Cause DJ Jazzy Geoff told you that?

I think I found your source of confusion.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wait till we play the big boys. We better man up or we will get abused. I hate to say that, but it is the truth. Guys we have developed a reputation for being soft and our opponents know that. If you heard the NIU Coach last night he more or less said they knew who they were going up against and told his team that if they would come down here, play physical and take the fight to us for the full 60 minutes they would win. Conversely, I feel like we have a mindset of finding a way to lose rather than finding a way to win. We have to change that. Our opponents smell that and know that if they can apply some pressure we will fold.

It may be time to make some drastic changes and shake things up. Play some different people. Change our schemes. Move some coaches around. Do something!

Go Jackets!

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
What happened to Harris being so disruptive at that they had to take him out to get things done? Is it because it was against our OL that is still not very good?

I think our defense gets so much praise at practice because it’s going against our offense and our offense is very mediocre and inconsistent.

but back to our DL, I watched just the DL on 4-5 plays in a row and everytime they just get locked up and stalemated. No push, no getting off blocks. Just no impact on the play.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It was hit & miss. I would love to post vids but capitalism prevails.

Long story short. NIU did good job keeping more blockers than we had rushers. A few times we lost contain and on the 1st TD, we got quick hiked and our unblocked LB was slow getting over the top
And Juanyah took a bad angle.

I am interested more in our DL pairing than anything

What were your thoughts on the DBs? It seemed there were several instances of confusion out there. I know we were spared a TD because of a WRs foot out of bounds when Swilling pulled off his man.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
What happened to Harris being so disruptive at that they had to take him out to get things done? Is it because it was against our OL that is still not very good?

I think our defense gets so much praise at practice because it’s going against our offense and our offense is very mediocre and inconsistent.

but back to our DL, I watched just the DL on 4-5 plays in a row and everytime they just get locked up and stalemated. No push, no getting off blocks. Just no impact on the play.
Yeah that stunk of CGC BS biGTime

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
SOWEGA, I have ruminated today on what satisfaction is possible in following Tech this year since it looks very unlikely the W-L record is gonna be any fun. What I have come up with is 1) watching to see if they can get better as the season progresses which would give us some hope for next year and 2) getting a good look at some of the newcomers to see which have potential.
Unfortunately that’s what we did last year. And unfortunately we are in the same boat this year.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
From watching on television, our players didn't look to play with the energy and fire you would expect from an opening game, at home, under the lights. If you're a defensive lineman and you aren't playing with all the intensity you have, you are not going to get past the guy blocking you if he's any good at all. Maybe it didn't look that way to those at the game.

And yeah, I agree that when you are judging linemen by playing only within the team, you can't know how good either side is.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I expected our d-line to be in the backfield more than they were. I thought the play was inconsistent and losing contain on the 35 yd run was unfortunate. If that was our performance against Norte Dame or Georgia, I would be excited to have held them to 3.9 yds per rush but not against NIU. If the D had stepped up and made a couple more plays I would have been ok with their performance. I can’t recall completely but I think we held them to 7 punts, one downed knee at half, one turnover, and 3 scores. We just need to turn those TDs into FG attempts.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
That was my concern after the first few series. I didn’t see any punch mouth football.
Physicality doesn’t necessarily correlate with strength and conditioning. It’s apparent and obvious our guys are bigger and stronger now based off photos and such.
Coaching, however DIRECTLY correlates to punch mouth football and physicality. And that is majorly concerning

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What were your thoughts on the DBs? It seemed there were several instances of confusion out there. I know we were spared a TD because of a WRs foot out of bounds when Swilling pulled off his man.
A lot guys believing there own hype.

The pass on the game winning drive, NIU had 9 blockers in for 5 rushers. That mean it was 2 WR 6 defenders and we still have up a big completion bc our safety didn’t help underneath the outside route

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Wait till we play the big boys. We better man up or we will get abused. I hate to say that, but it is the truth. Guys we have developed a reputation for being soft and our opponents know that. If you heard the NIU Coach last night he more or less said they knew who they were going up against and told his team that if they would come down here, play physical and take the fight to us for the full 60 minutes they would win. Conversely, I feel like we have a mindset of finding a way to lose rather than finding a way to win. We have to change that. Our opponents smell that and know that if they can apply some pressure we will fold.

It may be time to make some drastic changes and shake things up. Play some different people. Change our schemes. Move some coaches around. Do something!

Go Jackets!
Jerry. IMO this is the most astute comment I have read in quite a while. I could tell from the 1st snap that we were surprised by NIU's fight and intensity. Their crisp blocking and gang tackling was impressive. They seemed to have spies on Gibbs and Sims , knowing we didn't have much else on offense, especially since we never even tried to throw to the TEs. To their credit, when NIU got the ball late in the 4th quarter, I KNEW they would score a TD and go for two. I was just hoping they wouldn't convert the extra points.
My summary of the game was that we:
1) Overlooked this game, as many GOOD teams can and still win......but at this point we are nowhere near GOOD. ( Fault- COACHING for putting the idea in the player's heads that they are already elite- without any results on the field to confirm that.)
2) We are mentally unprepared to start the game. When an opponent smacks us in the mouth, we tuck tail. ( Fault - Players with an assist from coaching. Where is the
leadership and the pride ? Is this how they played in high school ?
3) No in game adjustments. When you spot an overmatched ( supposedly) opponent 2 TDs in the first half you should be able to recover.....we ALMOST did. When we play superior teams , which almost all teams on our schedule have, they will BURY in the 1st half. ( Fault - COACHING, COACHING, COACHING )
4) Can't make FGs in your own half empty stadium with ideal weather conditions by an experienced FG kicker from makeable distance ( Fault -coaching and kicker)
5) Poor technique on OL in sustaining blocks and DL in shedding blocks......with experienced players- especially the OL. ( Fault- Players- Seniors and Juniors need help with basic technique at this point ? IMO, this was lack of effort and toughness.)
6) Poor clock and game management........again ! ( Fault - CGC. Wasting 2 TOs in the 3rd quarter in a close game was inexcusable).
Thanks for letting me vent. I still don't feel better though because I have very little confidence that anything I mentioned above will change with the current HC and staff.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I keep hearing we have a phenomenal S&C program but we just got whipped by smaller players. I’m not sure the defense had a TFL. I didn’t see any BpBuSp stuff. I’m really not sure what Coleman is doing or he’s just getting dragged down with the others.

We supposedly have an outstanding OL coach, but we can’t block worth a damn even after getting multiple “NFL caliber” OL from the SEC via the portal. I think everyone now understands what our OC is capable of.

The only coach that seems to me is doing his job is Choice. The RBs always come to play. Mason and Smith were true to form and Gibbs was saddled most of the game running sideways because he relies more on open holes to get him to the second level.

We can’t kick a FG in year 3.

So many areas going backwards, KO’s into the endzone has really been the only positive. I think it’s too many extracurriculars (dancing, twitter, WH, etc) and too little football practice/study/work. Too much praise, to little correction/discipline.