Defensive Line

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
When I looked at the final participation report, DBrooks had just 1 tackle and it was an assist. I don’t know what that means but it can’t be good.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
7B877F98-4CA2-478E-9557-E5EFA846C30C.jpeg

NIU did this for large part of the night. They max protect

They have 5OL, 2 TEs and 1RB vs our 5 rushers.

That means we 6 for 2 WR routes. Guess what happened here?

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll play. Based on what I've seen the most often, with that much protection, none of our linemen came close to bothering the quarterback. With no pressure at all, he stood back there until one of the two receivers came open. With no pressure, he threw a strike and completed the pass. How'd I do?

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
We don't have dudes up front. I'm talking about guys that are relentless and refuse to be blocked. Guys that are violent. Our guys for the most part are too easily blocked. If they are blocked initially they are typically unable to get off the block and make a play.just watching the UGA-CU and ND-FSU games, we are just not in the same ballpark along the dline. Hopefully, the guys we have in the 22 class, if we can keep them, start to turn that around. Also, to my untrained eye it does not seem we do enough up front to confuse the opponents oline. UGA was running all kinds of twists and stunts and blitz packages against Clemson.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll play. Based on what I've seen the most often, with that much protection, none of our linemen came close to bothering the quarterback. With no pressure at all, he stood back there until one of the two receivers came open. With no pressure, he threw a strike and completed the pass. How'd I do?
The RB picked up the blitz making it a 7 on 5 and with no pressure it was a completion.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
D was alright other than the final drive. Didn’t we force like 3, 3 and outs to open the game? And it was still 0-0 while we were giving NIU good field position.

Would have been nice to get up 7-0 or 14-0 and take some pressure off the D; or not let NIU start every ****ing drive on the 40. Defenses can play a lot more agrresively wit the lead, as you tend to force the opposition to open it up a little more. Once NIU got the lead they got very conservative, run heavy and max protect for 2-3 quarters. You aren’t going to force TFLs and sacks in that scenario, but we did manage to keep them off the scoreboard and set up an easy TD with a strip.

Not sure what happened on the final drive, and I don’t want to watch the replay to figure it out.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
when we stood up the runner it seemed like the pile kept moving for several more yards. I am concerned that we have a young head coach and a neophyte DC that are still learning. I would think a new coach would want a seasoned OC and DC to help learn how to manage a P5 program. P-node is experienced and there were decent plays called but Sims missed open receivers. We had terrible field position and had to make long drives. defence seems to be pretty vanilla and our DL locks up against the OL rather than attack gaps. still soft in coverage at times. We left a lot of points on the field that would have won that game. We gained a lot of yards but not many points to show for it.
Over 400 yards total offense and we damn near had two 100 yard rushers and a very respectable 16 out of 26 (?) completions. In fact we out gained them in both rushing and passing along with first downs and total yards 429 to 301. They held the ball for 54 seconds longer and managed 4 sacks to our zero. The two teams combined for a forgettable 0 out of 5 field goals. Just amazing. IIWII

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
" We don't have dudes up front. I'm talking about guys that are relentless and refuse to be blocked. Guys that are violent. Our guys for the most part are too easily blocked. If they are blocked initially they are typically unable to get off the block and make a play.just watching the UGA-CU and ND-FSU games, we are just not in the same ballpark along the dline. Hopefully, the guys we have in the 22 class, if we can keep them, start to turn that around. Also, to my untrained eye it does not seem we do enough up front to confuse the opponents oline. UGA was running all kinds of twists and stunts and blitz packages against Clemson."

Johnson used to assign an extra grade on effort, IIRC. I don't think our D linemen would have gotten a good "effort" grade Saturday night.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
View attachment 11116

NIU did this for large part of the night. They max protect

They have 5OL, 2 TEs and 1RB vs our 5 rushers.

That means we 6 for 2 WR routes. Guess what happened here?
I'll guess a 15+ yard completion.

I know literally nothing about Dline technique, but should our Dline all be standing straight up? Shouldn't they have their pads low trying to move the Oline back and collapse the pocket? Is there a reason our Boundary DEnd is not even engaged with the OL?