Defensive Line

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
Not trying to pour on top of what is already saturated, but as I have thought about the game I maybe least impressed with this unit. Maybe I had my hopes higher than I should have but didn't we bring in multiple transfers to compete at DE and DT? Didn't we have players returning that would should have showed out last night? What happened to Brooks, Clayton, and Chimedza? Anyone who knows more about our defense see anything they could say went wrong with the unit?

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
because we don’t have a coaching staff that knows how to coach them the basic techniques to be successful it seems like

stech81

Helluva Engineer
My understanding was we were supposed to get great pass rush and only need four lineman to do it. That didn't appear to be the case for most of last night.
They were not going against our OL reason one. If the OL and DL suck you can't tell what you got at practice other than if they said that our OL must be bad . Wait they did give up 4 sacks last night .

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If asked what I was most hoping to see before the game started, I would have said our D line pressuring the quarterback and our O line protecting the quarterback. Well, what I saw was exactly the opposite.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Would love to get someone’s breakdown of the film for the DLine. Feel like I just can’t understand what went so wrong with us. I’ll go back and rewatch (painful) but there are some posters on here who really know a lot more about the 4-3 scheme Thacker runs so would love to hear their take.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Would love to get someone’s breakdown of the film for the DLine. Feel like I just can’t understand what went so wrong with us. I’ll go back and rewatch (painful) but there are some posters on here who really know a lot more about the 4-3 scheme Thacker runs so would love to hear their take.
You mean 4-2-5 effort based (whatever that means)

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Their QB was getting rid of the ball quickly. Give him credit for making good reads. Give their WR credit for making some tough catches--something I was hoping to see from our WR, and haven't very much.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
Their QB was getting rid of the ball quickly. Give him credit for making good reads. Give their WR credit for making some tough catches--something I was hoping to see from our WR, and haven't very much.
You make it seem they were a Big 12 team running 17 bubble screens

Also, for your theory to be true, you’d have to tell us at what point you saw one of our DL beat his man and just not have time to get to the QB.

Neither of those are true so stop making stuff up.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
You make it seem they were a Big 12 team running 17 bubble screens

Also, for your theory to be true, you’d have to tell us at what point you saw one of our DL beat his man and just not have time to get to the QB.

Neither of those are true so stop making stuff up.
If you compare his snap to release time to Sims/Yates snap to release time, you will find my statement to be overall true. He wasn't just standing in the pocket a lot. So stop making stuff up.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
We continue to struggle against the run whether up the middle or on the edge. Based on that, the DBs cheat up to stop the run which makes them very vulnerable against the play action pass. That obviously shouldn't have made any difference on the last NI drive. My concern is if we can't stop the run against Northern Illinois, how in the world are we going to stop the rest of our schedule, including Kennesaw State? You can blame part of this on the coaching staff in teaching technique but you also need players who can beat a block.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
If you compare his snap to release time to Sims/Yates snap to release time, you will find my statement to be overall true. He wasn't just standing in the pocket a lot. So stop making stuff up.
Find me a time where anyone beat their man 1:1. I’m talking beat their man, but the ball was gone.

We had 0 sacks and exactly 1 TFL from a DB and 2 QB pressures against a team that won 0 games last year and recruits in the 90s and 100s every year.

Your take is crap and an excuse for terrible coaching.

Last edited:

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes they had better Jimmies and Joes. IIWII
Let’s give NIU credit they deserved to win and fought like hell to get the job done good for them although I’m not sure a win over Tech means s damn thing anymore I mean everyone else beats us so….

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

It was hit & miss. I would love to post vids but capitalism prevails.

Long story short. NIU did good job keeping more blockers than we had rushers. A few times we lost contain and on the 1st TD, we got quick hiked and our unblocked LB was slow getting over the top
And Juanyah took a bad angle.

I am interested more in our DL pairing than anything

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I, likewise, have to acknowledge several terrific catches by their WRs, the “TD” notwithstanding.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
It was a horrible comedy of errors. I went back and re-watched the game and we simply didn't get a push when we needed it, we shot the wrong gaps on critical downs, and we missed tackles that we had made the previous series. Ultimately it appeared to be mostly mental with our boys, I hate to say it but it looked like we cracked as a team on the last drive where they went 80 yards in 2 minutes.

I'm still shaking my head from all of it.