Defensive Counting Stats vs. Tulane

Who filled up their stat sheet in the most impressive manner?

• KeShun Freeman

• Adam Gotsis

• PJ Davis

• Tyler Marcordes

• Demond Smith

• DJ White

• Someone else because whoever wrote this did not allow adequate choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Below are the defensive stats from the Tulane game sorted by position group. Note that a sack is included in tackle for loss (TFL) category. Loss yards are not double counted. QB Hits are not tracked and QB Hurries seemed poorly tracked (we had none in the first 2 games):

D-Line
KeShun Freeman - 1 Solo Tackle, 1 Asst. Tackle, 1 TFL, 1 Sack, 5 Loss Yards
Pat Gamble - 2 Solo Tackles, 1 Asst. Tackle, 1 TFL, 1 Loss Yard
Adam Gotsis - 3 Solo Tackles, 3 Asst. Tackle, 2 TFL, 1 Sack, 3 Loss Yards
Jabari Hunt - 2 Solo Tackles
Francis Kallon - 1 Asst. Tackle
Rod R-C - 2 Solo Tackles
Anree S-A - 2 Solo Tackles, 1 Asst. Tackle, 1 Fumble Recovery
Antonio Simmons - 1 Solo Tackle, 1 Asst. Tackle

Linebackers
Vic Alexander - 4 Solo Tackles, 1 Asst. Tackle
Chase Alford - 1 Asst. Tackle
PJ Davis - 5 Solo Tackles, 1 Asst. Tackle
Beau Hankins - 1 Solo Tackle
Tyler Marcordes - 2 Solo Tackles, 1 Asst. Tackle, 1 TFL, 1 Sack, 9 Loss Yards
Brant Mitchell - 1 Asst. Tackle
Domonique Noble - 4 Solo Tackles, 1 Asst. Tackle

Secondary
Lance Austin - 1 Solo Tackle, 1 Pass Defended
Law Austin - 1 Solo Tackle
Jamal Golden - 1 Solo Tackle, 1 Pass Defended
AJ Gray - 3 Solo Tackles, 1 Asst. Tackle
Lynn Griffin - 1 Solo Tackle
Shaun Kagawa - 1 Asst. Tackle
Demond Smith - 3 Solo Tackles, 1 TFL, 4 Loss Yard
DJ White - 3 Solo Tackles, 1 INT

And, let's have a poll because why not.

Happy opining.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I was very happy with the play of our defensive line, specifically Freeman and Gotsis. Those guys were getting good push all day and keeping the QB uncomfortable.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For all of the concern with the DL, specifically in that they are not dominating, take a look at the distribution of tackles. Notice how light the secondary group is? Compare that to last year, when they had the majority of the tackles most of the time. That is the sign that the DL is doing their job. There were a lot of incomplete throws, which count as a down, but don't provide any tackles. This is a function of both DL and secondary. When I look at that spreadsheet and consider that it represents an entire game, I would say we played darned good defense.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
For all of the concern with the DL, specifically in that they are not dominating, take a look at the distribution of tackles. Notice how light the secondary group is? Compare that to last year, when they had the majority of the tackles most of the time. That is the sign that the DL is doing their job. There were a lot of incomplete throws, which count as a down, but don't provide any tackles. This is a function of both DL and secondary. When I look at that spreadsheet and consider that it represents an entire game, I would say we played darned good defense.

That was my thought too. Also, the secondary didn't have many assisted tackles, indicating that they finished their tackles when necessary.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Though they didn't get a ton of sacks, I liked what they did in collapsing the pocket. I definitely saw improvement in that and it was a game week point of emphasis leading up to it.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
we are playing a Penn State Ted Roof-style defense. Team defense with everyone executing their roles and making the plays they're in position to make. No one's trying to be a hero, just do the job you're in position to do and trust your teammates to do the same.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for the post, it's good to see the distribution of plays. I had to go with Gotsis based on the numbers, but as others have pointed out, that may because the plays were his responsibility to make. I really like our D this year and am actually more excited about seeing how they do this weekend than the O. The O suffers from higher expectations and the D is the key to the season (IMHO). (Even after STs :rolleyes:)

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the post, it's good to see the distribution of plays. I had to go with Gotsis based on the numbers, but as others have pointed out, that may because the plays were his responsibility to make. I really like our D this year and am actually more excited about seeing how they do this weekend than the O. The O suffers from higher expectations and the D is the key to the season (IMHO). (Even after STs :rolleyes:)
Not a problem. I think I may take up doing one after every game.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
we are playing a Penn State Ted Roof-style defense. Team defense with everyone executing their roles and making the plays they're in position to make. No one's trying to be a hero, just do the job you're in position to do and trust your teammates to do the same.
What was the NC winning Auburn style Ted Roof defense?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The light bulb went on for me when I saw a LB blitz and Jabari drop in to coverage last week. Thought that was rather convenient given his background. Wonder how much more we'll see that.

I saw Green do that in a game last year and in the Tulane game this year Chungong did at least once.