Defensive breakdown vids

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I looked at couple of defensive series, it amazes me how bad our eyes can get at LB

On John Kelly's game tying TD, both Guards pull to the defense's right. Take a wild guess where we stepped? You guessed it! Left! I can handle get manhandled but beating yourself is unacceptable
They could always use another grad assistant?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I looked at couple of defensive series, it amazes me how bad our eyes can get at LB

On John Kelly's game tying TD, both Guards pull to the defense's right. Take a wild guess where we stepped? You guessed it! Left! I can handle get manhandled but beating yourself is unacceptable

Lol. How funny. I literally earmarked that play live while in the stadium on replay. Fyi. It happened many times with mitchell that game. There was another play similar, gaurd pulled mitchell paused and went the wrong way then tried to recover.

Thats not talent. This is simple discipline. That is detail in coaching imo

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. A player will screw up every now and then, that's the nature of college ball and you have to just live with it. If multiple players are continually making the same mistake there is a failure in coaching.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I'm up for seeing as much video as you're up to produce Ibee. On this play, is it possible that for some reason we're reading something else other than the guards?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm up for seeing as much video as you're up to produce Ibee. On this play, is it possible that for some reason we're reading something else other than the guards?

Nah. There was no fb or hback. You read guard through the backfield. Its purely a discipline thing. Its not like the G blocked down and he was reading the fb. The g pulled. On a backside pull his responsibility is to trail the rb to the side of the pull not over pursuing or they call it crossing face then he gives up a cutback lane. Then he slams up the bgap on the backside pull. On a frontside pull the trailing lb has cutback. So his role is to beat the g to the spot and jam him. In either case he always follows the g.

In the g down blocks then he picks up the next key usually a fb. But ut didnt do that. They were in one back reads with pulling g.

If the g does a normal block to the lb then he has to hit the gaurd straight up with his inside shoulder and seal the outside of the gap.

In all of these it's so clear what to do. It baffles me how a jr screws this up. And honestly i know the answer but its not popular here or only popular with some. This is basics folks. Cpj has to make a call this year imo

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
I was very disappointed in the LB play overall. There were multiple plays where the guards didn't get to the second level to reach them, they simply took missteps that took them out of the play (as was mentioned, sometimes on basic reads). I know the freshmen have a ways to go to get significant playing time, but I am excited to seem them on the field....hopefully early this Saturday.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I just did my first quick game watch. No difference in d play calls 1st and 2nd half. 1st half was no more aggressive. Placebo affect. We Just got a few more pressures and nice hits.

After watching this imo the reason the second half was so bad was a total loss of intensity and discipline on top of prevent d calls. But he played alot of those same calls in the first half we got lucky alot. Ut didnt challenge them like the second.

Roof played his typical conservative stuff all game. UT just started to exploit the loose zones and a nice quick screen and passing game. They basically decided to put it more on the qb on early downs.

Conclusion. Same d as last year schematically. Lets hope the de step up. If this d doesnt get major pressure its going to be carved up

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Nah. There was no fb or hback. You read guard through the backfield. Its purely a discipline thing. Its not like the G blocked down and he was reading the fb. The g pulled. On a backside pull his responsibility is to trail the rb to the side of the pull not over pursuing or they call it crossing face then he gives up a cutback lane. Then he slams up the bgap on the backside pull. On a frontside pull the trailing lb has cutback. So his role is to beat the g to the spot and jam him. In either case he always follows the g.

In the g down blocks then he picks up the next key usually a fb. But ut didnt do that. They were in one back reads with pulling g.

If the g does a normal block to the lb then he has to hit the gaurd straight up with his inside shoulder and seal the outside of the gap.

In all of these it's so clear what to do. It baffles me how a jr screws this up. And honestly i know the answer but its not popular here or only popular with some. This is basics folks. Cpj has to make a call this year imo

Back when Brooking was playing for the Falcons I became schooled in just how dumb mutt fans are. Had season tix for a couple years. The only times prior to that I'd sat around mutts was during our rivalry games so I thought they were mostly just stupid on rivalry week. Sitting amongst them for Falcons games brought me a greater appreciation for just how dumb they are.

Brooking was a beast in his prime. He'd often blow up pulling guards at the line to stuff a hole, ditto fullbacks that were lead blocking. The idiot mutt fans sitting around me would always complain he was hitting the wrong guy instead of the ball carrier. Smh.