Defense

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
^you've gotta be kidding me. This was 100% on the offense
The defense needs to get better, when Clemson was dialed in, they moved it at will. They lost intensity in the second half due to the lopsidedness of the game and it affected their play. I think we took advantage of that and played better, too. But we still give too much cushion, can't pressure with 4 and look lost at times.

If our O had been clicking and it had been close at the half, I suspect Clemson would have kept pace in the second half.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One thing that kills me is how we don't attack in space. We sit back and don't close ground. It's like we're scared we'll be juked out of our jocks. Well, that tactic leads to getting juked because we're on our heels. I'm also sick and tired of seeing our defender dragged for extra yards. Tackling is not good.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
One thing that kills me is how we don't attack in space. We sit back and don't close ground. It's like we're scared we'll be juked out of our jocks. Well, that tactic leads to getting juked because we're on our heels. I'm also sick and tired of seeing our defender dragged for extra yards. Tackling is not good.
I think they were teaching to gang tackle in the spring. The first guy is actually doing the right thing (if you agree with that style) by grabbing his man and not letting go. The problem is no one is following though and coming to help. You could see it when AJ went after Watson on his blitz. He didn’t try and tackle him to the ground he wrapped up and waited for others. No one else got there and Watson almost made the first down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I
I think they were teaching to gang tackle in the spring. The first guy is actually doing the right thing (if you agree with that style) by grabbing his man and not letting go. The problem is no one is following though and coming to help. You could see it when AJ went after Watson on his blitz. He didn’t try and tackle him to the ground he wrapped up and waited for others. No one else got there and Watson almost made the first down.
It kills me when a Clemson corner dodges a cut block and then makes a play by himself in the open field when our guy can't do it when there's no block to shed.

jeffgt14

I

It kills me when a Clemson corner dodges a cut block and then makes a play by himself in the open field when our guy can't do it when there's no block to shed.
Yea I agree. We had a toss play in the first half that looked like it could’ve easily gained 10+ yards and Marshall got absolutely schooled by the LB. Looked like Yao Ming trying to stop Allen Iverson on a crossover.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Mike and Mike (ESPN) this morning twice today in their first 30 minutes that the fumble back into the end zone after the Tech interception was a big help for Clemson. They pointed out that our own player knocked the ball out and called a Safety was bad luck. Mike Golic then said that although Clemson may have won the game big statistically in the first half, the score should have been 14-0 and then GA Tech would have cut it to 14-7 in the second half because of our Defense.

jeffgt14

Mike and Mike (ESPN) this morning twice today in their first 30 minutes that the fumble back into the end zone after the Tech interception was a big help for Clemson. They pointed out that our own player knocked the ball out and called a Safety was bad luck. Mike Golic then said that although Clemson may have won the game big statistically in the first half, the score should have been 14-0 and then GA Tech would have cut it to 14-7 in the second half because of our Defense.
That fumble really was just bad luck and I feel bad for Lance because of it. He was just trying to make a play because he had blockers and the offense wasn’t doing much. I probably place more blame on Griffin for it then Lance. I’m not sure what he was even doing after the interception he pretty much annihilated Lance for no reason.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That fumble really was just bad luck and I feel bad for Lance because of it. He was just trying to make a play because he had blockers and the offense wasn’t doing much. I probably place more blame on Griffin for it then Lance. I’m not sure what he was even doing after the interception he pretty much annihilated Lance for no reason.
He was hustling trying to get to his man and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just bad luck.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck

We play spread teams all the time. We know they are going to throw short passes/screens. Yet we line up with a generous cushion every time. Enough that a completed pass is almost a certainty because even if our DB reacts to the ball being thrown his way quickly, he gets to the WR after the catch. Tackle him and it's 4-5 yards. Miss the tackle and it's 10+.

Do we not trust our DBs? Are we that afraid of the deep ball? I get that...but teams are flying down the field on us anyway. This is where I start wondering about scheme.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, going into the game I figured Clem would get 30 points. They didn't, which is a positive. If the O had gotten anything going that resembled a drive in the 1st half this game would have been totally different. They got whipped.

wxl

Georgia Tech Fan
Two things I liked, first we stuffed their running game just like we did in the other games. Their longest run was only 17 yds. The second is our younger DB's are much taller and were able to match up better with Clemson's tall receivers in the second half. I disagree that Clemson took their foot off the gas in the second half, they ended up throwing 48 passes.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Defense did a fine job last night. Hope we see the same effort next Saturday, I'm glad the defense fought til the End. Keeping them out of the end zone on that last drive showed a lot of character. Coach Roof will have them ready, expect to see some big hits against the thUgs.

Jmonty71

Banned
The main issue I had with Roof was playing that soft zone. Everyone knows that Watson is a QB that relies on timing. We did nothing to disrupt that. We let the WRs run free without any DB's bump and run coverage to throw it off. I did notice that after the 1st, the DB's started to move up. This was totally on Roof and his lack of judgement. I think he plays too soft and that soft style transitions to soft playing by the players. Personally, I think his style of play is outdated.