Defense

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
other than first quarter, I am very happy with defense. If offense did anything, could have been a game. I know many have been on Roof, but I am pleased with last 2 weeks.
Agree D has looked good after the first quarter, but the D in a way put us so far behind that it put pressure on our offense. They did have some short fields to deal with though. My hope is we get better and better and get to play Clemson in the acccg and win. I would much rather win then and lose now than the reverse.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
Scoundrel I wonder if having Roof on sidelines instead of in the box has been part of the improvement. Really like some of these young guys too! I miss the days of tech having a solid defense and hope it is coming back.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I've always been an anti Ted Rood guy, but without that goofy interception turned safety, we probably hold them to 14 I the first half and this game might have been slightly different. I still don't think we could've won the game but it could've been 21-10 or so. Defense played a good game. The offense has to improve substantially if we want to win any of the next 3-4 games

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
Bent, my scoundrel comment was supposed to be followed by a thumbs up emoji, but it didn't work. Kind of makes me look like a jerk now!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Was meant for guy above, and you posted before I hit send. Sorry
I just said the D put us to far behind early which changed what we did on offense but I continued on and said the offense did make us have short fields. I thought that last statement was easy to read In between the lines on, but I guess not. I'll elaborate when the offense gives you short fields to the D it hurts the D and puts more pressure on the D which is the offenses fault. My point at the beginning was that when we got far behind the offense has pressure put on them as well. Both statement are true, but I never one time said it was the D's fault did I? By the way the D self inflicted 10 points with the safety and then had to go back on the field after being tired and gave up another TD. It's a team sport and both sides caused things to happen that were not good, both the O and D caused TD's with offense giving the D short fields and the D self inflicting mistakes on themselves.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Considering how long the defense was on the field and the horrible field position they were constantly battling, I think they did an outstanding job... other than the prevent crap at the end of the first half. I absolutely loathe a prevent defense.
Agree, the only issue I had with the D early was we were playing so soft that the short routes were killing us, I wish we would have game planned for that better, besides that I was fine.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Thus domination brought to you by a terrible offensive effort. D played their a$$e$ off. 2 first downs in the first half. Not good for a triple option offense.

other than first quarter, I am very happy with defense. If offense did anything, could have been a game. I know many have been on Roof, but I am pleased with last 2 weeks.
I would add the final drive of the first half to the poor showing by the D in the 1st quarter. But overall, the D played good enough at least to keep us in the game if the O had been able to do anything.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Agree D has looked good after the first quarter, but the D in a way put us so far behind that it put pressure on our offense. They did have some short fields to deal with though. My hope is we get better and better and get to play Clemson in the acccg and win. I would much rather win then and lose now than the reverse.

The offense was terrible from the first snap of the ball. The notion that our defense giving up a TD or two in the first quarter is in any way to blame for our offensive showing is a joke. Our first two drive were both 3 and outs that went backwards 13 yards. That is before the "pressure" of being behind by two scores. Our offense was the one that put pressure on the D to make plays, and the D responded. You want to blame the defense for the "self inflicted 9 points" on the safety, but it was the offense who had the ball with 4:40 left, went 3 and out, and then gave the ball back to clemson on our 45. Clemson should have never gotten the ball back, or if it did it should have been with little time left and a long field to drive.