Defense? Where are they?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I would love to know why Days hasn't produced like he did last season on the practice squad? Not trying to single a player out but I thought him and the the Aussie we're going to ball out. Would love to see Whitehead get to blitz some as well.
Watched 32 with binocs from 40 yd field level , he is playing the middle period. He is often double teamed. But his arm technique is poor , starts with extended arms but w double team they roll him up.

Part of problem is de are not really 240. They are easy handled by the tackles or te.

Gamble did not look good either. Kallon hardly played. 2016 the DT looks even weaker.

Why we dont blitz is .. Perhaps we think letting them score slowly WITH few turnovers, hurries, or pic 6 is better than ever letting them score quickly with several stops due to hurries, turnovers or pic 6
Damb I thiught we fieed Groh. For the love of pete, our guys cant defend in space so SEND them.
Oh no Now I told them = outlet pass to dalvin cook = gone. .

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Imo we need to try something new.

If we are running a 4-3, Gray should be the 3rd lb. He is probably as strong as all our other lbs, the most sured tackler of them, and can actually cover when needed. Not to mention he would get more speed on our D. Oh and while we are at it, replace Marcodes with Mitchell...or split the snaps 50-50 at least

On obvious passing downs, why not try something new...run a 4-2-5 with gray at 1 lb spot and Whitehead at the other as a 5th blitzer. I have no idea how he is doing but that seems like an ideal place to use him given his size and potential skillset.

I've never, nor never will, claim to be some type of master mind in regards to the game of football. I just feel like we gotta do something to get more size/speed on the field.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Imo we need to try something new.

If we are running a 4-3, Gray should be the 3rd lb. He is probably as strong as all our other lbs, the most sured tackler of them, and can actually cover when needed. Not to mention he would get more speed on our D. Oh and while we are at it, replace Marcodes with Mitchell...or split the snaps 50-50 at least

On obvious passing downs, why not try something new...run a 4-2-5 with gray at 1 lb spot and Whitehead at the other as a 5th blitzer. I have no idea how he is doing but that seems like an ideal place to use him given his size and potential skillset.

I've never, nor never will, claim to be some type of master mind in regards to the game of football. I just feel like we gotta do something to get more size/speed on the field.
Agree, I'd like to see Mitchell more.

Yesterday Gray lined up at LB depth on a few 3rd and longs. He wasn't the safety nor was he the nickle. It was something of a dime package, though I'm not sure if you can call it that since there were 3 DL and Marcordes still in on those plays. Only saw it a few times. Hope @Boomergump has time to pick this up in film review.

A few folks are asking about Whitehead. Go back to the Alcorn St. and Tulane game where he got reps and you'll see he's not at the level we need him.

One I'm curious about is Saint-Amour. I've yet to understand why his volume of snaps is so hot-and-cold week-to-week. Based on the way we're performing without him and from the reps I've watched him closely, it seems like he could help us in spurts at both ends.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
St Amour, Cerge-Henderson, Mitchell all need to see more snaps. Mitchell is as athletic a LB as Tech has had in while. Saw Alexander in for a few snaps yesterday, hopefully he's coming along. Gary is showing his ability, the game is starting to slow down a for him. Someone commented on seeing Glanton, Sellers and SMorgan yesterday and how they looked physically, hopefully Coach Sisk and staff are pushing them hard to be ready going into spring.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
We just seem to never force a negative play, and give QBs all day to throw.

We have had that problem for many seasons now...especially playing against spread teams. We don't get pressure and the QB stands back and picks us apart with short passes.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
We have had that problem for many seasons now...especially playing against spread teams. We don't get pressure and the QB stands back and picks us apart with short passes.
I know, Attaochu could get to the QB sometimes but we haven't been able to blow up the line since the D.Morgan, M.Johnson, Vance Walker days.