Defense regression

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
This is what happened on the basketball board. For reference, the basketball board is pretty much dead because of it. Over emotional reactionary venting leads to the posters who want to focus on actual discussion to finding somewhere else to go.

I think the basketball board is dead because our basketball team hasn’t been relevant since Bush was in office. Not because of mean posters.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the basketball board is dead because our basketball team hasn’t been relevant since Bush was in office. Not because of mean posters.
Every time the basketball team doesn't play well, there is indeed a torch and pitchfork group that is ready to clean house. And the team did look much better last year, finishing in 5th place in the ACC.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

The level of play hasn't helped, but there isn't much need to speculate on this one. There have been several posters who have flat out said why they were no longer posting like they used to and it was never really about the level of play more so than the level of the discussions happening.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Every time the basketball team doesn't play well, there is indeed a torch and pitchfork group that is ready to clean house. And the team did look much better last year, finishing in 5th place in the ACC.
The level of play hasn't helped, but there isn't much need to speculate on this one. There have been several posters who have flat out said why they were no longer posting like they used to and it was never really about the level of play more so than the level of the discussions happening.

Fair enough. I haven’t been there in years, so I’ll take your word for it. I can only speak for myself, but I don’t post in the basketball board because I have pretty much lost all interest to discuss our program. I watch every game still, but I just don’t know what to say other than “we stink again” or whatever lol

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Fair enough. I haven’t been there in years, so I’ll take your word for it. I can only speak for myself, but I don’t post in the basketball board because I have pretty much lost all interest to discuss our program. I watch every game still, but I just don’t know what to say other than “we stink again” or whatever lol
I completely understand your feelings. But coming off a pretty good year with many key returning starters means we could be a NCAA team this year. (Yeah, I know. You've heard that one before. lol)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Now is probably the best time to come back on board in a longtime. We ended last year strong *(First ACC winning season in 15 years or so) after a rough start due to injuries. We're set for a pretty good year this year in terms of returning production. We also have a class with 1 top 150 recruit committed, and it looks very good we're going to add another top 150 player and a top 50 player to that as well. I'm sure many like you will probably need to see us actually back in the NCAAT before they will jump back on, and I understand that but I'd at least make sure to tune in to some of the early games to get a glimpse.

Jmonty71

Banned
I don't think Thacker is the best DC. But he isn't the worst DC. Just too many missed tackles. I think basic fundamentals are lacking overall. He's scheme isn't overall terrible. I still hate corners giving a 10 yard cushion when only 3-4 yards are needed for a first. I would like more bump and run type coverages. However; I am not sure we have the speed and skill to perform it.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't think Thacker is the best DC. But he isn't the worst DC. Just too many missed tackles. I think basic fundamentals are lacking overall. He's scheme isn't overall terrible. I still hate corners giving a 10 yard cushion when only 3-4 yards are needed for a first. I would like more bump and run type coverages. However; I am not sure we have the speed and skill to perform it.
The corners usually don’t give much of a cushion at all—they line up about 2-5 yards off the receivers most of the times I look. They haven’t been able to get that initial stick on the receiver most of the time.
“Bump and run” is a term from the late 60’s and 70’s, before pass interference got tightened up. A DB could keep bumping the receiver all the way down the field as long as he didn’t hold him. It died with the 5-yard chuck rule.

Scubapro

Banned
The corners usually don’t give much of a cushion at all—they line up about 2-5 yards off the receivers most of the times I look. They haven’t been able to get that initial stick on the receiver most of the time.
“Bump and run” is a term from the late 60’s and 70’s, before pass interference got tightened up. A DB could keep bumping the receiver all the way down the field as long as he didn’t hold him. It died with the 5-yard chuck rule.
Yeah...but I think the point JMonty was making is we can still put a hit on the receiver on the line of scrimmage.
This tactic was a work of art when Groh employed it against Clemson in 2011.
It interrupted their timing and gave our d line an extra second or two to pressure Boyd.
Haven't seen that done too much with this group.

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah...but I think the point JMonty was making is we can still put a hit on the receiver on the line of scrimmage.
It interrupted their timing and gave our d line an extra second or two to pressure Boyd.
We’re supposed to, but on a lot of busted plays we aren’t getting the bump. You can see it on some of the replays.
In the Roof days, we had big cushions so it wasn’t an option. I don’t recall as much under Woody, but I think it was the same.
We’ve had a year and a half to learn it, minus a missing Spring practice.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

We do this at times. I know this because of the interception Lawrence threw they talked about how Walton “punched” their WR and threw him off his route.

We may not do it a lot, but we do employ that. I personally think we should do it more. I think Walton and Swilling are the best players on our D (Dominick and Clayton can push them).