Defending the Flexbone

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I
we make it sound like executing a slant is hard. The whole point of a 3 step drop and a slant is so the rush can't get to you. Its a quick "hot" type of pass. All you need is a cheating OLB and a WR who can get off the line and inside position. Then you need the playside OT to cut and BAM its a completion. It is done 100s times a saturday. Against defenses EXPECTING pass. Ours expects run and we still can't do it, or choose not to.

It seems we fans have adopted the approach that the passing game is so hard we can't do it. The passing game is all football is about now because the rules make it so much easier. Just look at the NFL draft....all CBs, S, WR and QB...over 50% of the first round...not one RB. Why? Its easier today to throw the ball and be good with the rules than when paul invented his offense 30 years ago. We can do it better. Trust me!!!! We have to. He hasn't adjusted and I think its on him. I hope Cook gets to help it along some.

Auburn ran a ton of these types of pass plays due to the D cheating. Were they a passing team? Hell no. But enough to be taken seriously...thats all I want. I don't want 50/50 balance and we don't need it.

65/35 is totally possible in this offense with a better passing scheme (blocking, route combos etc). I am referring to attempts....similar to what auburn did. I think its a reasonable expectation for us fans....that is my only point...
I agree. We should create formations or tblocking techniques that are condusive to easier passing situations, then learn to run the ball out of them

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I just dont feel that our QBs are prepped enough on how to read coverages presnap. On most passing situations our receivers have 1 on 1 matchups. But I also see atleast 1 eligible receiver running wide open down or across the middle. We need to learn to exploit the middle or CPJs offense will never take the next step. Let the QB get comfortable on some short throws early and hit the big gainers down the road

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
regarding QB reads, Listen to folks who pointed out that Johnny Football fouled up too often and missed reads, but was able to bail himself out with running the ball. I'm confident the TA&M practiced (prepped) reading pass coverage plenty.

No doubt our receivers are often 1 on 1 coverage, just need to get better (and on the same page as the QB) on which branch of the tree to take. :)

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Our QBs are prepped just like other QBs in other systems.
Ex: Switch
If you see single high, its man or 3, you hit the wheel.... if its two high safeties, its either 2 or 4 then you hit the post

As for the slant route in that set, the only way it is going to work is if there stress on the OLB in the flat if not he will buzz under that slant route. Cov 4 is like a matchup zone in basketball. If you try to exploit the middle with the Abacks up the seam then the safeties will man those routes up.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
The passing game is all football is about now because the rules make it so much easier. Just look at the NFL draft....all CBs, S, WR and QB...over 50% of the first round...not one RB. Why? Its easier today to throw the ball and be good with the rules than when paul invented his offense 30 years ago.

You know I hear everybody spout off about this but seems to me the teams that consistently win and win big in the NFL are teams that can consistently run the football. And play good D of course.