Dee Dowis Air force QB

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a great article on the bleacher report about the best small college quaterbacks in history, They mention Dee Dowis from Air Force played 1986 -89 ; some of the members on this board probably remember him, Dee was probably the best option QB I have ever seen "yes" better than Tracy Ham; Acccording to the article Dee size was 5' 8 153lbs I did not post all of his records and accomplishments while playing at Air Force; But I invite every board member to read this article and "Youtube" some of his games; His coaches said he was lighting quick and a option magacian. The reason for this post is if JT pans out to be as good as this guy "look out"

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Used to run all over Hart Co.
Yeah, Dee was from Franklin County where I now reside. I saw him play against Hart and Elbert back in the day. He had great field vision and was one of the best decision makers I have ever seen running the option.

thwgjacket

There is a great article on the bleacher report about the best small college quaterbacks in history, They mention Dee Dowis from Air Force played 1986 -89 ; some of the members on this board probably remember him, Dee was probably the best option QB I have ever seen "yes" better than Tracy Ham; Acccording to the article Dee size was 5' 8 153lbs I did not post all of his records and accomplishments while playing at Air Force; But I invite every board member to read this article and "Youtube" some of his games; His coaches said he was lighting quick and a option magacian. The reason for this post is if JT pans out to be as good as this guy "look out"
Better option QB than Ham? Maybe, I'll keep an open mind because I have never seen him play. Better overall than Ham? I doubt it. People forget that Ham threw for over 40,000 yards in his career with the CFL. He was a very talented passer. Had he been taller there is no doubt in my mind he would have been given more of a chance in the NFL and would have been a star. But I'm biased.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Dowis' name was all over the weight room at Franklin County when I was there 11 years ago. Unfortunately I was too young and missed seeing him play.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can't stand watching a guy carry the ball like that. Drives me crazy. I tell you what, JT can drive me crazy all he wants if nobody is touching him on the way to the EZ.

If you want a chuckle, just envision JT trying to carry the ball like that in this year's spring game. That slippery thing would have flown out of his hand like a watermelon seed out from under Gallagher's sledge hammer.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Despite the negative similarity in the way they carry the ball, there are some positives to take away. I mean, there is a small option QB who survived the experience. According to some around here that is next to impossible. They (JT and this guy) probably have very similar physical traits, but like anything, the devil is in the details. His survival and productivity are probably more attributable to his vision and decision making skills than speed and quickness. Those are the things we are hoping to see out of JT this year, but he has yet to demonstrate consistently.

Despite the negative similarity in the way they carry the ball, there are some positives to take away. I mean, there is a small option QB who survived the experience. According to some around here that is next to impossible. They (JT and this guy) probably have very similar physical traits, but like anything, the devil is in the details. His survival and productivity are probably more attributable to his vision and decision making skills than speed and quickness. Those are the things we are hoping to see out of JT this year, but he has yet to demonstrate consistently.
Not splitting hairs, but the veer that the Air Force ran during Dowis day did not expose the qb to as many collisions as our offense. Also the opponents of the Air Force were not the same as our schedule with respect to defensive stand outs. Justin may turn out to be just as durable as Dee Dowis, but it is a little bit apples-to-oranges.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Not splitting hairs, but the veer that the Air Force ran during Dowis day did not expose the qb to as many collisions as our offense. Also the opponents of the Air Force were not the same as our schedule with respect to defensive stand outs. Justin may turn out to be just as durable as Dee Dowis, but it is a little bit apples-to-oranges.
Dee ran the Wisbone offense under Fischer Deberry, completly different than the Veer