Dedrick Mills first JUCO game

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There is a system factor involved here. The good RBs for this system will consistently churn 3-5 yards, the special RBs can make a move past the LOS and have the potential to take one to the house. You saw that with Dwyer and Marcus Marshall (who had 88 yards on 10 attempts versus East Carolina last Saturday). Marcus Marshall was very underrated by our fans...he was a better pure RB than Mills, but Mills was the better BB in our system.

Travis Custis is also a good example of a good BB in our system, but not quite a great pure RB. Went to a community college for a year where he had an OK season, transferred to West Georgia and never really put together a season there that reflected why GT coaches and fans felt so high about him.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Derrick Mills has not played since the second game at his Juco.. either injured or dusmissed?? Anyone know??
First game 9 yds, second game 52...total is 61 yds.. in first two games had not sure last four..

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Is there any way we would take him back after this season or does the 3 strikes prevent that from happening?

GTFLETCH

Banned
GOOD Article by Ken

Coach Johnson informed him that he was off the team, having failed a drug test for a third time, all for marijuana use. By the athletic department’s substance-abuse policy, it meant he was automatically dismissed from the team. “I just broke down in tears right then and there, like, ‘No,’” Mills said. “He’s, like, ‘Yeah, you’re off the team.’”

As a freshman, Mills was suspended for the Mercer game after he overslept and was late for practice. He was suspended for the Virginia Tech and Virginia games for his second failed drug test. (Under Tech’s policy, athletes who test positive a first time for any of a list of prohibited substances are required to undergo counseling. A second positive results in a suspension for 20 percent of the season. A third offense results in dismissal from the team.)

Put on a strict testing schedule after the second failed test – “they tested the fool out of him, that’s for sure,” Johnson said – Mills said he stayed clean through the spring. Mills said that, because of his clean tests, his schedule was relaxed. Despite the jeopardy he was putting himself in, he returned to using. “I would say just being around it,” Mills said, explaining his reasons for using marijuana. “I don’t know – you’ve always got something on your mind, and you feel like you can’t get it off. You use that to forget about stuff.” He failed a test administered before the start of preseason practice, mistakenly believing he could beat it.

Mills knew the rules and said he didn’t expect to be treated any differently because of his star status. “Getting dismissed – it was hard,” he said. “It was painful. I was hurting. But I did it to myself.”

Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ills-pledges-comeback/1yjWbrdf35Ql1vZHpYMJ0J/