Deandre Smelter

Squints

Helluva Engineer
they did release him in September and resigned his to the PS a month later. He was up for grabs but no one picked him up. I'm guessing he was happy as $hit to rejoin the 49ers on their PS. Remember....it's all about the $$$ in the NFL.

He wasn't placed on the practice squad he was placed on IR with a hamstring injury. No one picked him up because he was hurt.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
May have been better if they'd just released him and let him get on another team. The niners are one of the worst NFL teams I've ever seen right now.

Plenty of opportunity to show his quality. Just get open and catch what is thrown at you.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
He was on the practice squad. They singed him to it about 3 weeks after they cut him.

I remember the 49ers using the "waived/injured" designation on him which automatically puts you in the IR list once you clear waivers which he did. What I missed was that Smelter managed to reach an injury settlement with the team so he became a free agent. Once the settlement time was up he was signed to the practice squad so you're right about that though it was 6 weeks later. So my bad on that. I assume the settlement was for 3 weeks pay.

But my main point was to say that no one picked him because he was hurt. If someone did (I believe) they would have had to carry him on their 53-man roster and no one is going to do that for an injured WR who hasn't played a down of football since the 2014 UGA game.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Watching them vs falcons, there were several off-target passes from Kapernick that were still catchable. If Smelter can get targets, I'll bet he will stand out.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Deandre always seemed like a good guy and is most probably a great GT rep.
I think he has a high "football IQ" and would be a good 3rd down possession type of receiver ... Good Luck Deandre !!

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
What is all this being waived, being picked up again, then being put on IR, being waived... too confusing.... is he ever gonna play a snap? I wish nothing but the best for Deandre... keep the Wide Receiver U legacy going...

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
It's called "injury"... You know that thing that ended his career at GT? We're talking about Smelter now because he just promoted to the active roster and might finally get a chance to play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk