Deandre Smelter

Matt E

GT Athlete
Still could have a great career. He will get claimed by someone or end up on a practice squad.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think since he didn't get claimed he ends up on San Fran's IR. I thought that was the purpose of the Waived/injured status and likely why they didn't play him the final preseason game.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Cut Deandre Smelter but keep thug *** Colin Kapernick.

Why is he a thug? Because he did something that you didn't agree with? What did you even know about the guy before last week?

Chip Kelly's makes stupid personnel moves just look what he did in Philly

The issues in Philly went beyond Chip Kelly. It sounds like Howie Roseman set him up to fail if you believe some of the reports out of that front office.

Regardless Chip Kelly doesn't have final say in the 49ers' personnel decisions. That would be the GM Trent Baalke. And I think keeping one of the two best quarterbacks on the roster over a project WR who can't stay on the field for more than a week at a time before getting hurt is very much the opposite of stupid.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why is he a thug? Because he did something that you didn't agree with? What did you even know about the guy before last week?

The issues in Philly went beyond Chip Kelly. Howie Roseman set him up to fail if you believe some of the reports out of that front office.

Regardless Chip Kelly doesn't have final say in the 49ers' personnel decisions. That would be the GM Trent Baalke. And I think keeping one of the two best quarterbacks on the roster over a project WR who can't stay on the field for more than a week at a time before getting hurt is very much the opposite of stupid.

Well I do agree with the guy the Chip Kelly is an idiot. But not on the quelling of free speech.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Well I do agree with the guy the Chip Kelly is an idiot. But not on the quelling of free speech.

Agree to disagree. You don't have the kind of success he's had as a head coach in his career if you're an idiot. Jury's still out on whether his system and style work in the NFL. But that's a whole different conversation.

Point is cutting Smelter is hardly indication of some kind of idiocy. Smelter has been mostly hurt since the second he was signed. Even after the knee rehab was finished. If you want to make the team you have to get on the field and show something at some point. He wasn't able to.

Last edited:

Squints

Helluva Engineer
He cleared waivers and will go back to San Fran. He was been placed on IR. I don't know if it's season ending IR or designated to play IR.

I'm pretty positive the 49ers already used their designated to play IR on someone else so it'll be season ending.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree to disagree. You don't have the kind of success he's had as a head coach in his career if you're an idiot. Jury's still out on whether his system and style work in the NFL. But that's a whole different conversation.

Point is cutting Smelter is hardly indication of some kind of idiocy. Smelter has been mostly hurt since the second he was signed. Even after the knee rehab was finished. If you want to make the team you have to get on the field and show something at some point. He wasn't able to.

Oh I think he's an offensive mind on the level of CPJ. I just can't understand his moves in Philly. I thought he had a roster that was setting up perfectly for what he wanted to do. Had every chance to move up for Mariotta (perfect fit for him) and instead went with pocket passers. Just didn't add up to me.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Any more updates on Smelter? By now he's gotta be healthy enough for some pro team to give him a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
they did release him in September and resigned his to the PS a month later. He was up for grabs but no one picked him up. I'm guessing he was happy as $hit to rejoin the 49ers on their PS. Remember....it's all about the $$$ in the NFL.