Days or Laskey?

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
Give me Zack at BB, and let Synjyn strengthen the ab rotation. Love having the depth at BB though, days has been great. I'm just not sure he is better than Zack. I actually think Laskey has the speed to take one 70 yards if given the right lane.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
When back at full-strength after an injury, you get your job back. If it was Laskey's job before he got hurt, its Laskey's job when he recovers. Nothing was stopping anybody from knocking Laskey out of the starter spot before he got hurt.

I really like what SD has done filling in but he has to earn the job fair and square.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Personally I think Days has better vision and finds lanes for explosive plays better. He is also a tougher bruiser of a back now who I could see making his way onto an NFL roster. Laskey may be a touch faster but I just don't think he has the vision that Days has. With that said play both and ride the hot hand. You can also play Days some at Aback but I would rather see him at bback.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Personally I think Days has better vision and finds lanes for explosive plays better. He is also a tougher bruiser of a back now who I could see making his way onto an NFL roster. Laskey may be a touch faster but I just don't think he has the vision that Days has. With that said play both and ride the hot hand. You can also play Days some at Aback but I would rather see him at bback.
CPJ and staff who see both players every day in practice disagree with you. Maybe other issues play into it like ball security and knowing where to go and who to block on EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see it as either/or. For me, it is a 1, 2 punch. Our cup runneth over (pun intended) this year. And it delights me that one was very lightly recruited and the other is a converted QB. Not that I wouldn't mind recruiting a few 4-star running backs, but the ones we have are doing very nicely, thank you. And thank you coaches!

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
CPJ and staff who see both players every day in practice disagree with you. Maybe other issues play into it like ball security and knowing where to go and who to block on EVERY SINGLE PLAY.
There was one play - can't even recall what qtr but think it was 2nd half when Tenuta brought some heat and SD let a rusher slip by him (the rusher came in where the right guard would have been so not an edge rush and it was not a delayed blitz) and that rusher flattened JT about 1/10 sec later. Looked like it was going to be the play that Perkins scored the 75 yard TD on that we ran against Pitt after getting the ball on the 20 following White's big play.

So not sure if SD was supposed to let the guy slip through (can't remember the word for that - when you intentionally let a guy through so you can get open for a short pass) but JT got crushed so had to figure he should have been blocked.

My point is that there are assignments the players have that are part of the evaluation that have nothing to do with how well you run with the football. So, yeah, I like SD when he totes the rock but can't say that just because he might tote it a tad better than ZL that he should get the nod.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There was one play - can't even recall what qtr but think it was 2nd half when Tenuta brought some heat and SD let a rusher slip by him (the rusher came in where the right guard would have been so not an edge rush and it was not a delayed blitz) and that rusher flattened JT about 1/10 sec later. Looked like it was going to be the play that Perkins scored the 75 yard TD on that we ran against Pitt after getting the ball on the 20 following White's big play.

So not sure if SD was supposed to let the guy slip through (can't remember the word for that - when you intentionally let a guy through so you can get open for a short pass) but JT got crushed so had to figure he should have been blocked.

My point is that there are assignments the players have that are part of the evaluation that have nothing to do with how well you run with the football. So, yeah, I like SD when he totes the rock but can't say that just because he might tote it a tad better than ZL that he should get the nod.
I remember that play. I couldn't believe SD let that guy through w/o so much as a nudge.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I bet they both play and split series, unless one is really hot. CPJ really needed a feature back and Laskey earned the right at that position and has experience. Now that Laskey cannot put up the big recruiting type numbers for the year due to the missing games, CPJ will play both.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I bet they both play and split series, unless one is really hot. CPJ really needed a feature back and Laskey earned the right at that position and has experience. Now that Laskey cannot put up the big recruiting type numbers for the year due to the missing games, CPJ will play both.
The position will have a nice total when all is said and done. CPJ can take that on the recruiting trail. Right now, after only 9 games, the position has total 1008 yards. I wonder where that ends up after 3 more regular season games, a bowl game, and if lucky, an ACCCG? Dwyer and Lyons did combine for 1534 yards in '09 in 14 games.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
It is really odd to try and pretend there is a BB controversy when a) the starter had a serious injury and has not been available for 2 games and b) both players after those 2 games that the backup did a great job in now have either 4 or 5 games left in their entire collegiate career. Add in the fact that the injured player may not even be available to play a full game and take all the hits after his injury for any of these last 4-5 games, or maybe only be at full strength for 1-2 of them (certainly the bowl game) and it becomes extremely odd to try and argue over which of the 2 should start. It just isn't a matter of "choice" right now at all.

Then there is this. When the BB starter goes down in Laskey and you have a JT as such a threat in the run game . . . then don't you think it just might be possible that the opponents more readily decided to play softer on the give and the replacement BB in Days so as to be better able to contain the QB and ABs? Look at how Thomas's run production took a nosedive against UVA. Days yardage is partly a product of the defenses deciding to let him go a bit more as they try and focus on Thomas. Now . . . here is why we all love Days, he has made the opponent pay for that decision in spades.

The defensive coordinators may have game planned and said "well this guy is the back-up BB, new to it this year, he will be weaker at the position than Laskey and also would be better for them at AB, so let's not worry about him and BB so much and we can afford to concentrate on the QB." Days has been fantastic in the job and so blown-up those best laid plans of mice and Tenuta's.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
The position will have a nice total when all is said and done. CPJ can take that on the recruiting trail. Right now, after only 9 games, the position has total 1008 yards. I wonder where that ends up after 3 more regular season games, a bowl game, and if lucky, an ACCCG? Dwyer and Lyons did combine for 1534 yards in '09 in 14 games.

After Laskey and Days combine for 350 against U[sic]GA, they'll blow past 1,534.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Ya know, I wouldn't mind TRYING Days and Laskey in a wishbone formation... Days especially can be a devastating lead blocker...

Declinometer

Banned
Ya know, I wouldn't mind TRYING Days and Laskey in a wishbone formation... Days especially can be a devastating lead blocker...

Why the wishbone? What's wrong with being lined up on the tackles hip? Makes zero difference unless your running a belly where the back is kicking out the defensive end.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
How about a jumbo package with no A backs, a extra o- lineman and Days and Laskey lined up beside each other in the backfield behind Byerly?

GTJared21

Georgia Tech Fan
It is really odd to try and pretend there is a BB controversy when a) the starter had a serious injury and has not been available for 2 games and b) both players after those 2 games that the backup did a great job in now have either 4 or 5 games left in their entire collegiate career. Add in the fact that the injured player may not even be available to play a full game and take all the hits after his injury for any of these last 4-5 games, or maybe only be at full strength for 1-2 of them (certainly the bowl game) and it becomes extremely odd to try and argue over which of the 2 should start. It just isn't a matter of "choice" right now at all.

Then there is this. When the BB starter goes down in Laskey and you have a JT as such a threat in the run game . . . then don't you think it just might be possible that the opponents more readily decided to play softer on the give and the replacement BB in Days so as to be better able to contain the QB and ABs? Look at how Thomas's run production took a nosedive against UVA. Days yardage is partly a product of the defenses deciding to let him go a bit more as they try and focus on Thomas. Now . . . here is why we all love Days, he has made the opponent pay for that decision in spades.

The defensive coordinators may have game planned and said "well this guy is the back-up BB, new to it this year, he will be weaker at the position than Laskey and also would be better for them at AB, so let's not worry about him and BB so much and we can afford to concentrate on the QB." Days has been fantastic in the job and so blown-up those best laid plans of mice and Tenuta's.
Wasn't asking which should start. Just seeing which one the fans like more.

GTFANINPA

Georgia Tech Fan
Was not CPJ going to get Days more rep at "A" back? If he is that good then I would think run them both A qtr at a time- you have to think that the pounding that the B back takes every game would warrant a rotation of the two. Either way a nice problem to have.