Dave Patenaude's Offense

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sold that CDP is a bad coordinator.

You'd be bad coordinator if you had to play two walkons important minutes on your OL, and the entirety of your OL outside of a transfer backup from Vandy was recruited for another offense.

Let's see what kind of progress the offense AND our players make from last year to this year. If the offense barely makes progress this year, then I think a fair assessment can be made.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
You'd be bad coordinator if you had to play two walkons important minutes on your OL, and the entirety of your OL outside of a transfer backup from Vandy was recruited for another offense.

Let's see what kind of progress the offense AND our players make from last year to this year. If the offense barely makes progress this year, then I think a fair assessment can be made.
Nobody is faulting him for that. Many of us question why he didn’t tailor the play calling to the personnel. We could’ve run a lot of read option and designed runs out of the shotgun that utilized our athletic QBs and Mason. Instead we ran generic spread plays for most of the season and abandoned the run too often.

Alexgrant1

Georgia Tech Fan
Nobody is faulting him for that. Many of us question why he didn’t tailor the play calling to the personnel. We could’ve run a lot of read option and designed runs out of the shotgun that utilized our athletic QBs and Mason. Instead we ran generic spread plays for most of the season and abandoned the run too often.
I think they did that to show recruits that they are trying to run a different offense

Techster

Helluva Engineer

We ran a lot of read option. It wasn't the read option that we loved under CPJ, but we ran a lot of read option. As with CPJ, if our guys can't block, the read option ain't going nowhere...let's not forget that CPJ's offense was plagued by bad OL blocking in the latter years.

Let's also keep in mind that maybe Patenaude and CGC ran the offense to what they wanted to see in the future in order to get all our guys more reps in it and set us up for better years, as opposed to trying to make each play successful. It would be like CPJ coming in without Nesbitt/Dwyer/BayBay/and good OLs and running Gailey's plays just so he was successful that day. You run your offense and build on each play.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
We ran a lot of read option. It wasn't the read option that we loved under CPJ, but we ran a lot of read option. As with CPJ, if our guys can't block, the read option ain't going nowhere...let's not forget that CPJ's offense was plagued by bad OL blocking in the latter years.

Let's also keep in mind that maybe Patenaude and CGC ran the offense to what they wanted to see in the future in order to get all our guys more reps in it and set us up for better years, as opposed to trying to make each play successful. It would be like CPJ coming in without Nesbitt/Dwyer/BayBay/and good OLs and running Gailey's plays just so he was successful that day. You run your offense and build on each play.
I think last years season was more of a practice type of year!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Last year was nothing but one big scrimmage. Collins handled the transition just fine by showing 15-18 year olds what we were going to be in the future. Sure, part of that was sacrificing the “tailor to our strengths” which may have resulted in a little better results but honestly who freaking cares today. 2019 will be remembered for LSU’s dominance, Ohio State’s choke job, and Tua getting hurt. No one cares if GT won 3 games or 8. What Collins did worked as we have the best recruiting class in double digit years and signed two legit QB’s and stocked a stable of WR’s. Our receivers remind me of the Bobby Rodriguez’s and Emmett Merechant’s of our history. The addition of big bodies for the OLine and bigger defensive players is what GT football needed. I’ve stated before and many took offense to it, but 2020 is another quasi scrimmage year as Collins knows we need another solid recruiting class to dig out of the hole along the lines. I expect us to win more games and be more competitive because we have some horses, but the lines is what dictates wins and losses and we are still behind the curve vis a vis our competition. But that will flip thru this staffs recruiting.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
Last year was nothing but one big scrimmage. Collins handled the transition just fine by showing 15-18 year olds what we were going to be in the future. Sure, part of that was sacrificing the “tailor to our strengths” which may have resulted in a little better results but honestly who freaking cares today. 2019 will be remembered for LSU’s dominance, Ohio State’s choke job, and Tua getting hurt. No one cares if GT won 3 games or 8. What Collins did worked as we have the best recruiting class in double digit years and signed two legit QB’s and stocked a stable of WR’s. Our receivers remind me of the Bobby Rodriguez’s and Emmett Merechant’s of our history. The addition of big bodies for the OLine and bigger defensive players is what GT football needed. I’ve stated before and many took offense to it, but 2020 is another quasi scrimmage year as Collins knows we need another solid recruiting class to dig out of the hole along the lines. I expect us to win more games and be more competitive because we have some horses, but the lines is what dictates wins and losses and we are still behind the curve vis a vis our competition. But that will flip thru this staffs recruiting.
To the future :)

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree idk why people think he’s horrible just after one year with a triple option team inherited
Because if we look at last season’s record in a vacuum without any context, it’s unacceptable, so someone needs to be blamed. Since the defense was stronger than the offense, our record must be all Paternaude’s fault. I imagine the people who are screaming about Patenaude would be the same type of manager that thinks anything can be done if they just demand it hard enough.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Because if we look at last season’s record in a vacuum without any context, it’s unacceptable, so someone needs to be blamed. Since the defense was stronger than the offense, our record must be all Paternaude’s fault. I imagine the people who are screaming about Patenaude would be the same type of manager that thinks anything can be done if they just demand it hard enough.
I think people were upset with Patenaude because there didn't seem to be a method to the madness that was our offense last year. His play-calling seemed random and disjointed, and there didn't appear to be an overall offensive arc to what he was trying to accomplish. At least that's my interpretation of what I've read.

I have no idea if Dave Patenaude is or will be a good P5 offensive coordinator. He's obviously competent enough to still be coaching offenses in his 50's, and CGC was happy enough with him at Temple to bring him with him to Ma Tech. I'm confident that CGC will not make a knee-jerk change, but I don't think he'll suffer incompetence long either. So, I think Patenaude has 2 more seasons to show definitive growth and progress with this offense or Collins will move him along. Personally, I'd like to see stability and continuity within the coaching staff, so I hope he shines and is here a long time. If he turns out to be a turd, I hope he moves along quickly.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think people were upset with Patenaude because there didn't seem to be a method to the madness that was our offense last year. His play-calling seemed random and disjointed, and there didn't appear to be an overall offensive arc to what he was trying to accomplish. At least that's my interpretation of what I've read.
That’s a great characterization of how many feel. I think the vast majority are willing to see next year, but if it’s more of the same he’s probably not going to gain any supporters.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
That’s a great characterization of how many feel. I think the vast majority are willing to see next year, but if it’s more of the same he’s probably not going to gain any supporters.

because y’all know enough to know:

what was called
Did we actually run what was called
Where the breakdown was
What D we were facing (would a more experienced QB have checked to a better play)

LibertyTurns

Banned
Then why do so d@mn many of you post practically the same complaints and disparagement every time?

This is a thread about Jeff Sims. He's going to make CDP or whoever is OC a better and more popular coach.
OK, educate me. What type of offense was he running last year? All I’ve heard in support is excuses along with we’re not playing to win, we’re trying to install a new system.

GTFLETCH

Banned
No More excuses for the OC...

Cochran is a huge addition for the Yellow Jackets but figuratively and literally. At 6-foot-7, 318-pounds, he’ll be one of the biggest players on Georgia Tech’s entire roster, let alone the offensive line. No more excuses for the Coaches...Bowl Bound or Bust!!!
LT - Devin Cochran (CGC Guy)
LG - Jack DeFoor (Ole Miss Transfer played 1 year for CPJ and 1 year for CGC)
C - Kenny Cooper (if healthy) Or the CGC Walk On at Center can't remember his name just remember that the coaches thought he played great...
RG - Ryan Johnson (CGC Guy)
RT - Zach Quinney

With that Oline CGC better be able to win 6 games or he will have to get a new OC...simple as that...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
because y’all know enough to know:

what was called
Did we actually run what was called
Where the breakdown was
What D we were facing (would a more experienced QB have checked to a better play)
Hence, the bolded words...

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
OK, educate me. What type of offense was he running last year? All I’ve heard in support is excuses along with we’re not playing to win, we’re trying to install a new system.
Tech ran a fairly standard RPO-Spread offense last year. A lot of reads, a lot of zone runs, and a lot of quick passes. The problem was that the QB could not complete a lot of those shallow passes. Meaning the D would stack the box and basically shut down the run. CDP did a good job of trying to mitigate that by calling home run balls, and both Graham and Brown did an excellent job of completing a lot of those throws. The OL was so battered, it really wouldn’t have mattered what they ran. Couldn’t pass block, couldn’t run block. Somebody mentioned in the Mason thread about how his YPC were kind of low, but his YAC are near the top of the country. There was simply no push up front, and Mason had to earn almost every yard he got. I think a lot of people will think CDP is a lot better this year, simply because the team will be a lot better. OL and QB play is essential, and Tech was mediocre to very bad in both of those categories last season.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I think it was the much heralded "Me Too" offense not to be confused with the basketball team critics characterization of their offense as the "Clogged Toilet". Beats me, I just want to see our team play better in year two. It can't get much worse.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Tech ran a fairly standard RPO-Spread offense last year. A lot of reads, a lot of zone runs, and a lot of quick passes. The problem was that the QB could not complete a lot of those shallow passes. Meaning the D would stack the box and basically shut down the run. CDP did a good job of trying to mitigate that by calling home run balls, and both Graham and Brown did an excellent job of completing a lot of those throws. The OL was so battered, it really wouldn’t have mattered what they ran. Couldn’t pass block, couldn’t run block. Somebody mentioned in the Mason thread about how his YPC were kind of low, but his YAC are near the top of the country. There was simply no push up front, and Mason had to earn almost every yard he got. I think a lot of people will think CDP is a lot better this year, simply because the team will be a lot better. OL and QB play is essential, and Tech was mediocre to very bad in both of those categories last season.

This is what I was trying to say in my post...well not really.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

YPC tends to be low when the running back in question is getting hit behind the line of scrimmage more often than not. The wonder is how Jordan never complained, at least publicly, and just ran harder. He must have broken a million tackles last year.