Danny Hall question

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Once fans sour on a player or coach, their objectivity seems to crumble. It's a universal truth...not just a GT baseball fan thing. I'd rather the discussion remain in better context and nuanced; but that is impossible.

Hall (not Ramsey... strangely) gets nearly 100% of the blame for having recruited talent that doesn't meet potential. Hall is the CEO. He should get the credit when things go well and the blame when they don't. But we are in this very weird situation where Hall is blamed for the failures and Ramsey is credited for the positives. The Hall/Ramsey thing has been operating for 6+ seasons. I'm only bringing that up to highlight the lack of objectivity thing in nearly all the emotional post re Hall. I like Ramsey and want him to be the next hire... but does NONE of Hall's stink get on him? If you really are a 'Hall must go' guy.... but also a 'we can't blow this and lose Ramsey' guy... that doesn't make sense to me.

Looking at Hall's entire coaching career... you cannot argue with the results. He's a winner. His teams win 2 of 3 games. Anybody calling for his head, would (in the next breath) say if his replacement wins 65% of his games, it's a homerun hire.

Likewise, you cannot argue with the lack of post-season success in last half of his time at Tech. Those that consider that the ONLY metric worth considering have a case.

And having read and participated in these forum discussions. Nearly always we're talking past each other. Which is fine... forums like this tend to be that way.

You have argued several times that Ramsey could be part of the problem, not just Hall.

Since we don't know the inner staff workings (or more correctly, I don't), I no longer have a firm opinion that Ramsey should be HC. A clean slate should be up to the new HC, who is competitively selected IMHO. But as I wasn't even drafted and don't contribute enough to matter, my opinion is not going to move the needle.

I am tired of us not being relevant and competitive. So any change which could change that irrelevancy is worthwhile. There is little reason to be a GT baseball fan and unfortunately I am asking myself more often why I should care. While I like the portal for the players and think it is for the best overall for the guys playing the game with the most invested, I dislike the rotating people and not sticking with our recruits. Most of our starting lineup is transfers and to me they aren't "real" Tech students but opportunists looking for the best way to the draft. Oh well, just win tonight.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
You have argued several times that Ramsey could be part of the problem, not just Hall.

Since we don't know the inner staff workings (or more correctly, I don't), I no longer have a firm opinion that Ramsey should be HC. A clean slate should be up to the new HC, who is competitively selected IMHO. But as I wasn't even drafted and don't contribute enough to matter, my opinion is not going to move the needle.

I am tired of us not being relevant and competitive. So any change which could change that irrelevancy is worthwhile. There is little reason to be a GT baseball fan and unfortunately I am asking myself more often why I should care. While I like the portal for the players and think it is for the best overall for the guys playing the game with the most invested, I dislike the rotating people and not sticking with our recruits. Most of our starting lineup is transfers and to me they aren't "real" Tech students but opportunists looking for the best way to the draft. Oh well, just win tonight.
Well stated on the transfers. Not directed at the kids, they should have the ability to optimize their college experience, but I agree 100% that it is something that reduces my enjoyment of the game and our team.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Nuke... I have been resigned for several years now. GT athletics (across the board) can't be relevant if you & I share the same definition of relevant. Its a strategic decision (or non decision) by the Institute. I don't have the resources or influence to move that needle in any way whatsoever. I love Ga Tech. I want them to win every game. But my expectations are not extremely high for any of our sports because of the new & changing landscape of D1/FBS athletics. I enjoy what I enjoy re baseball in that context. And I do really enjoy it.

All that may sound defeatist... not meant that way. If Ga Tech decides to make the changes necessary to make up the lost ground, I'll be thrilled.

Not defending CDH when I say this; but the decline over his coaching career is not just him... the world around him has changed too & Ga Tech (not just him) hasn't managed to keep up.

Matt E

GT Athlete
We had the same dynamic in football. Key coached the OL and they stunk. Now's he's the HC, so I guess it's possible.
My only argument against this line of thinking was that Brent Key spent time learning from guys like Saban and GOL and was around some pretty talented coaches. He saw how to build a culture and a program. Who has Ramsey learned from? 1 year at FSU and then all under Hall.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Hall had a very good first 15 years. He has had a very mediocre second 15 years and seems to be trending downward. He is a good fundraiser and pretty good recruiter. His teams play dumb baseball, his strategy is very suspect and his handling of the pitchers is atrocious.

He is a pretty good recruiter, but his class rankings are based more on quantity than quality and are very unbalanced between position players and pitchers.

It is certainly possible GT baseball gets worse after he has gone, but it is time for him to go.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Well I just got home and there is little more to say than will the AD J Batt have the stones to care about baseball as he did for basketball and football.

Just lost the series at home to the current worst team in the acc and if a sweep occurs tomorrow, we are heading in that direction.

No words for tonight. Yes the shine is definitely off of Ramsey.
Time for a clean start.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My only comment is that I have noticed we have picked guys who aren’t from top college programs. Our pitching coaches came from the pros and Ga. State. Ramsey had one year at FSU.

If we make a change I’d love to see us get guys with proven success in the college game at a high level.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I love the 2 options above, but I am afraid we will have him until his contract ends after next year. Maybe he deserves this, but I, for one, don’t think so.

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
Hall had a very good first 15 years. He has had a very mediocre second 15 years and seems to be trending downward. He is a good fundraiser and pretty good recruiter. His teams play dumb baseball, his strategy is very suspect and his handling of the pitchers is atrocious.

He is a pretty good recruiter, but his class rankings are based more on quantity than quality and are very unbalanced between position players and pitchers.

It is certainly possible GT baseball gets worse after he has gone, but it is time for him to go.
His fundraising comprises of dialing 10 digits to Tex. That is becoming a major issue.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
In over 10 years of attending games at the Rusty C, today was the first time I left early (5th inning to be exact) unless for a very specific reason. I couldn't stand to watch this destruction of a blowout sweep on our home field.

No expectations for any team to sweep so I automatically gave BC a win coming into the series and would've been happy with 2 of 3 and we get swept at home by (at the time) the worst team in the acc.

Blown out twice.
Could care less what the relationship dynamic is between J. Batt/Tex/Hall. With the level of talent that has come through this program, his failure to produce successful results has come to its conclusion.

I"m tired of the blind loyalist or those afraid of change (we could end up in a worse situation)....That's called life. There are no guarantees but this isn't working and hasn't for a LONG time.

Talents like Burress and Kerce will hit the portal likely

This season is another lost opportunity....Back to back years missing the tournament....and it's only 1/3 of the season

I'm over it until a change is made...if you want my presbyterian ticket....you are welcome to it.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I love the 2 options above, but I am afraid we will have him until his contract ends after next year. Maybe he deserves this, but I, for one, don’t think so.
What’s crazy is that his contract has expired a couple times in the past 5 years or so. We could’ve gotten rid of him for free. But GT loves paying coaches’ buyouts.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
In the past 3 years, I have gone from a no-brainer supporter of Ramsey for HC to the position of he ain't the answer to lead us out of this mess.