Danny Hall question

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
Whenever I read about Tech baseball on forums or social media, I hear "fire Danny Hall!" I fully understand we seem to underperform compared to expectations, but - and I'm not a scholar of the game - could someone give me concrete examples of poor decisions Hall has made that result in our disappointing results?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Whenever I read about Tech baseball on forums or social media, I hear "fire Danny Hall!" I fully understand we seem to underperform compared to expectations, but - and I'm not a scholar of the game - could someone give me concrete examples of poor decisions Hall has made that result in our disappointing results?
He chose not to take the team to the College World Series since 2006.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
First, let me say that I don't advocate for firing him. I respect the work he has done in his career, running a clean program, apparently doing right by his players based on the fact that they all seem to love him, etc. I do advocate for urging him to retire, as I believe it is time for new blood to run the program.

Answering your question, the main evidence for those who call for his firing is that the program hasn't made it to a Super Regional in nearly an entire generation. 2006 was the last time. I don't know for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have players on the team who weren't born when we last did so. To add to this, we've had nearly as many seasons where our conference record was below .500 as above .500. This program should be achieving at a higher level than that. There is a singular root cause for the underperformance (pitching), and yet it seems to never gets fixed. In Coach Hall's defense, he has cycled through 3 or 4 pitching coaches to no avail, so not like he just has his head in the sand. But the inability to fix the problem does seem to support the need for new leadership.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hall (including GT and ATL influence) recruit well but Hall can't coach the talent to perform commensurately. There are problems with any simple graph, but I think this shows what many of us feel over the last 15 years. The breakdown of the last 15 years post season play is another similar "fact". Hall is the common denominator over this time.

1711652589342.png

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
Danny inherited a power house program littered with MLB talent and slowly and systematically sunk the program to bottom half of the conf.

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
That is unfair. He took two teams to CWS well after the players he inherited left.

The problem is he has done nothing in the CWS tournament since 2006 despite consistently having MLB talent.
What is unfair? Morris built the program and Danny is slowly killing it. 2006 is a long time ago. I know Hall has some loyalist but he isn't looking out for the program he us waiting for that special team to send him off as a "winner" while Tech suffers. Every year is the same optimistic start and crashing end. Used to complain about losing super regionals and regionals now the complaint is not getting to regionals and being sub par in conf play. If a true tech baseball fan historian can't see the decline then he/she isn't looking. Danny has wasted more talent than any ncaa team.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
What is unfair? Morris built the program and Danny is slowly killing it. 2006 is a long time ago. I know Hall has some loyalist but he isn't looking out for the program he us waiting for that special team to send him off as a "winner" while Tech suffers. Every year is the same optimistic start and crashing end. Used to complain about losing super regionals and regionals now the complaint is not getting to regionals and being sub par in conf play. If a true tech baseball fan historian can't see the decline then he/she isn't looking. Danny has wasted more talent than any ncaa team.
How many CWS appearances did Morris have at Tech? How many has Hall had? You can be critical of Hall without rewriting history.

Also, my retort remains. He took his own players to multiple CWS well after Morris left. He was more successful than Morris was at Tech. He just fell off a cliff after 2006 and has never recovered.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
How many CWS appearances did Morris have at Tech? How many has Hall had? You can be critical of Hall without rewriting history.

Also, my retort remains. He took his own players to multiple CWS well after Morris left. He was more successful than Morris was at Tech. He just fell off a cliff after 2006 and has never recovered.
Once fans sour on a player or coach, their objectivity seems to crumble. It's a universal truth...not just a GT baseball fan thing. I'd rather the discussion remain in better context and nuanced; but that is impossible.

Hall (not Ramsey... strangely) gets nearly 100% of the blame for having recruited talent that doesn't meet potential. Hall is the CEO. He should get the credit when things go well and the blame when they don't. But we are in this very weird situation where Hall is blamed for the failures and Ramsey is credited for the positives. The Hall/Ramsey thing has been operating for 6+ seasons. I'm only bringing that up to highlight the lack of objectivity thing in nearly all the emotional post re Hall. I like Ramsey and want him to be the next hire... but does NONE of Hall's stink get on him? If you really are a 'Hall must go' guy.... but also a 'we can't blow this and lose Ramsey' guy... that doesn't make sense to me.

Looking at Hall's entire coaching career... you cannot argue with the results. He's a winner. His teams win 2 of 3 games. Anybody calling for his head, would (in the next breath) say if his replacement wins 65% of his games, it's a homerun hire.

Likewise, you cannot argue with the lack of post-season success in last half of his time at Tech. Those that consider that the ONLY metric worth considering have a case.

And having read and participated in these forum discussions. Nearly always we're talking past each other. Which is fine... forums like this tend to be that way.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Once fans sour on a player or coach, their objectivity seems to crumble. It's a universal truth...not just a GT baseball fan thing. I'd rather the discussion remain in better context and nuanced; but that is impossible.

Hall (not Ramsey... strangely) gets nearly 100% of the blame for having recruited talent that doesn't meet potential. Hall is the CEO. He should get the credit when things go well and the blame when they don't. But we are in this very weird situation where Hall is blamed for the failures and Ramsey is credited for the positives. The Hall/Ramsey thing has been operating for 6+ seasons. I'm only bringing that up to highlight the lack of objectivity thing in nearly all the emotional post re Hall. I like Ramsey and want him to be the next hire... but does NONE of Hall's stink get on him? If you really are a 'Hall must go' guy.... but also a 'we can't blow this and lose Ramsey' guy... that doesn't make sense to me.

Looking at Hall's entire coaching career... you cannot argue with the results. He's a winner. His teams win 2 of 3 games. Anybody calling for his head, would (in the next breath) say if his replacement wins 65% of his games, it's a homerun hire.

Likewise, you cannot argue with the lack of post-season success in last half of his time at Tech. Those that consider that the ONLY metric worth considering have a case.

And having read and participated in these forum discussions. Nearly always we're talking past each other. Which is fine... forums like this tend to be that way.
I think I have said this before on this board, but I want to go on the record again as saying that James Ramsey would not be my first choice to replace Coach Hall. I think we could do worse than James Ramsey, but I truly think we need to go outside the program. Just one idiot's opinion.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I like Ramsey and want him to be the next hire... but does NONE of Hall's stink get on him? If you really are a 'Hall must go' guy.... but also a 'we can't blow this and lose Ramsey' guy... that doesn't make sense to me.
We had the same dynamic in football. Key coached the OL and they stunk. Now's he's the HC, so I guess it's possible.

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan

To be fair Morris built the program from the ground up so that cws comparison isn't exactly apples to apples. Without the foundation Danny walked into who knows what would his record would be at Tech. I can put this put there it is much more difficult to build than to maintain in college baseball. Danny has seemed to let go of the rope. The deal was let him retire when his last son had finished, but no the $hit show continues. Lost to fing bc tonight let the party continue.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not a coach is the problem and ramsey is the solution however Gt33 does make a good point above regarding Coach Key. You never know what level of authority an assistant coach has . I'd also point out that Ramsey's teams work counts and get on base but always seem to struggle with risp so is he really the answer. Don't know.

A time for change is needed and has come. If you can't see that, you are just a loyalist at this point.

I like coach hall and think he's a good man. The players and parents speak very HIGHLY of him and I really felt he was going to retire after his son's concluded their baseball career at Tech.
He deserves to retire when he wants but the baseball program is clearly going in the wrong direction and the longer this trend continues, the harder it will be to get out of this mess.

Yes he wins at a 65% career clip but I measure that more importantly against quad 1 teams and post season success. I would venture to guess that % drops closer to the 50% or lower %

In the last 15 years, we are 202-193 in the acc with only four seasons above .500 conference records.

Best years are 2010 & 2011 where they went 21-9 (2010) & 22-8 (2011). Both times hosted a regional. No supers. Next best is 2021 team to go 21-15 for the # 3 overall national seed. Again no supers with another home regional loss to awbarn. This team and 2011 team were loaded with talent.

Take out 2010 and 2011, we are 159-176 in conference since 2012. We are currently 3-4 and this season could get out of hand if we can't win the bc series at home.

I'll be at all the games and support the team no matter what as i'm not a take my football and go home fan.

I see the changes fsu and uga made and basically with the same level of talent, they are making statements this year in baseball. Uga- first year coach (Wes Johnson) and FSU - year 2 of link Jarrett.

I've always felt that tech baseball is the best ticket you can find for the money. Top talent where a good number of players you get to see up close soon to be in the mlb.

I was at the 2006 super regional at home against Coastal Carolina. The crowd was fantastic. I was there last year against uga at home and the crowd was electric. We went to omaha in 06. We got destroyed last year at home against uga. Winning matters. Majority of fans want to support a winning program. We haven't been that since 2012 in the acc.

I've witnessed us lose in regionals to the following; Alabama, uga, southern miss, and awbarn all at home.. All teams we had beaten and even swept during that season as the better team but couldn't get it done in the regional.

Winning at a 65% clip means little if you do it mostly because you have superior talent and beat lesser teams at home with regularity.

When is the last time tech played in a tournament, early season, against top 15 teams vs. a radford or cornell.

Last night against BC, my very good friend said it felt like a library last night with close friends and all the energy that was there went away quickly after BC jumped on us early.

BC is a very bad baseball team and they just whipped us at home in game 1. Win the series, great but you have powerhouse teams ahead in Clemson, FSU, UVA, Duke, Miami, and Va Tech.

FYI- Miami just handed #3 clemson a loss.

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
We currently have the #4 class in the country but does that even matter anymore if the talent can't be coached up or developed. Especially on the mound with a complete lack of development.

In my statement above, I meant the 2021 and 2011 teams were loaded with talent.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
None of us fans are honestly close enough to fully understand whatever ails GT baseball. Hall gets the blame because he’s the visible head of the program. Ramsey gets the credit for the same reason that the backup QB is always the fan favor. We simply don’t know any better.

But like many, my once passionate season-ticket holding enthusiasm has waned. I still care, but almost dread checking the scores…disappointing results get depressing after a while.

i don’t know the right fix. All I know is we seem to be repeating the same process every year, expecting different results…and not getting that.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Danny inherited a power house program littered with MLB talent and slowly and systematically sunk the program to bottom half of the conf.
I truly hate to say this, but this is true. He’s been Tech’s manager for 30 years and we haven’t been out of a regional since 2006, now 18 years ago. That’s over half his tenure. He was real good for the first 10-12 years, but since then has slowly watched the program settle for less. Instead of the great program he inherited and ran for 10 years we are now a good program that is seen as an underperformer.

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
None of us fans are honestly close enough to fully understand whatever ails GT baseball. Hall gets the blame because he’s the visible head of the program. Ramsey gets the credit for the same reason that the backup QB is always the fan favor. We simply don’t know any better.

But like many, my once passionate season-ticket holding enthusiasm has waned. I still care, but almost dread checking the scores…disappointing results get depressing after a while.

i don’t know the right fix. All I know is we seem to be repeating the same process every year, expecting different results…and not getting that.
Honestly the shine on Ramsey isn't as bright as it was 2-3 years ago.