Damon Stoudamire

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yes. To the NCAA Lebron is a professional athlete who has recieved financial compensation directly for playing the sport, hence is ineligible.
College players have received compensation for the use of their Name, Image, and Likeness. But not direct compensation for playing the sport*. So they are still amateurs.

*the validity of this statement is dubious
steve coogan GIF

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
I liked Pastner, but his misstep to move from Princeton, move to faster style ALL year, not just at the end, and lack of NIL program support sunk him. I do very much like the direction of CDS - if this off-season is an indication, creating transfer excitement, and a sustainable NBA style of play - he will keep recruits and fans engaged.
Calipari has 27 current players in the NBA, and still only has one more NCAA title than Damon Stoudamire. Let’s give CDS plenty of runway to help this thing takeoff. If he continues to assemble a smart roster - like he did in no time - he’ll be competitive - I have no doubt.

GTJohn70

Georgia Tech Fan
I think CDS is a good hire, i just question the team make up. Was Blue Cain not good enough to play for him or is there something I am missing.? Are we to live and die by the portal now?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I do wonder if losing Blue Cain will come back to haunt us. But, all speculations aside (both positive and negative), the proof is in the pudding. I'll wait to see our performance on the court before I form my opinions about this hire.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think CDS is a good hire, i just question the team make up. Was Blue Cain not good enough to play for him or is there something I am missing.? Are we to live and die by the portal now?
What makes you think that the decision was entirely CDS? It has been stated numerous times here. Blue's relationship with GT was Coach Swartz and the prior staff.

When they left, our chances left with them. Honestly, I don't believe that we were ever seriously considered from that point forward.

Since I know 0 facts about the situation, I will leave it at that.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Based on timing I doubt it was CDS that made that call. More likely Cain decommitted when the person he had a relationship with was no longer here and didn't really consider us afterwards.

All teams are going to somewhat live and die by the portal, but in a transition year between coaches you have to expect it to be portal heavy over recruit heavy. I don't think we'll know how that balance shakes out for CDS until at minimum the next class, and it'll likely be a couple of years before any coach really has a set approach to that type of thing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I do wonder if losing Blue Cain will come back to haunt us. But, all speculations aside (both positive and negative), the proof is in the pudding. I'll wait to see our performance on the court before I form my opinions about this hire.

Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism, but we're talking about one recruit here. We're fine.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
but Kim English gets a B+? Ooooook
When you build up a legacy with a program over time it takes a while for “journalists” to get back to viewing your program objectively. The same holds true with programs that have been down for several years.

But you knew this already. I’ll buy you your favorite “buzz” when CDS proves them all wrong.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
When you build up a legacy with a program over time it takes a while for “journalists” to get back to viewing your program objectively. The same holds true with programs that have been down for several years.

But you knew this already. I’ll buy you your favorite “buzz” when CDS proves them all wrong.
A couple fingers of Elmer T. Lee pleeeease. And I am a CDS believer

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
What makes you think that the decision was entirely CDS? It has been stated numerous times here. Blue's relationship with GT was Coach Swartz and the prior staff.

When they left, our chances left with them. Honestly, I don't believe that we were ever seriously considered from that point forward.

Since I know 0 facts about the situation, I will leave it at that.
You can't convince the masses with rational thought. It was very clear from the moment CJP was fired that Blue Cain was not coming to GT. People that believe most college athletes go to a college because of the college are simply not rational. Most go because of their relationship with the coaches at the school. You have laid this out clearly many times yet some still don't get it. Oh well.

Thee really is excitement for next BB season. Hope the team gells early.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Looking at the 5 that transferred out and 1 HS lost vs the 6 transfers in I think he has already upgraded the roster. BC was the only one of the 6 that I was excited to see. I think AA is equal if not slightly better as he is ahead 1 yr experience wise. I’m looking forward to seeing what CDS with this group. Right now my expectation is to be on the bubble.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the 5 that transferred out and 1 HS lost vs the 6 transfers in I think he has already upgraded the roster. BC was the only one of the 6 that I was excited to see. I think AA is equal if not slightly better as he is ahead 1 yr experience wise. I’m looking forward to seeing what CDS with this group. Right now my expectation is to be on the bubble.

Finishing in the top half of the ACC plus an NIT bid would be a HUGE improvement in my book.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’ll say I feel similarly- that we have on the whole a better roster going into next year than we did under the previous staff (top to bottom).

A thing I’m consistently happy to see as well, is that each kid from the portal has said how they appreciate the vision the staff is pitching and their role in it. Further most of them talk about how they used film to highlight what we want them to do BUT ALSO break down deficiencies in their game and what they’d build them to be able to do.

I hope (read: beg, believe and want badly for this to be true) that we are going to have an identity that is immediately identifiable AND MOST IMPORTANTLY that fits our players.

I’m looking forward to watching what the team does and what schemes and patterns we deploy. I think we’ll see more NBA style O where the guards and forwards can freelance a bit. That’s fun basketball to watch when guys are driving and draining the rock. Less fun when you’re not and haven’t got a system to fall back to for manufacturing open looks.

Time will tell, till then: donate, donate and then donate again! Onwards and upwards Tech!