Damon Stoudamire

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Go look up Tommy Lloyd, now HC at Arizona. The guy was a career assistant at Gonzaga for twenty years under Mark Few. Look at what he did his first two years at Arizona. 33 wins and Sweet 16 his first year. 28 wins and NCAAT his second year. Did not being a head coach somewhere before Arizona hurt him?

Stoudamire may or may not turn out to be good coach, but it's not his HC experience that will prevent him from being a good coach at GT. He basically turned around the Pacific program...so much so that fans were mad he left because they thought they finally found a GOOD coach. The Celtics asked him to leave Pacific because of his coaching acumen, and his coaching X's and O's, especially on the defensive end, was instrumental in the Celtics success since he's been there.

At the end of the day, it's the W's and L's that will determine how successful he is at GT. I'm not sure anyone has noticed, but Stoudamire hasn't coached a single game yet. WAAAY too early to be making judgements on whether Stoudamire was a good or bad hire.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He's coached at 4 other schools and in the NBA, starting as a director of player development at Rice and, before his recent NBA stint, being named WCC Coach of The Year for winning games at a ****ty Pacific program as head coach. 15 years total coaching experience, across college and pro.

That doesn't really dispute what the poster said. Yes, that resume is skimpy.

He has 5 years assistant coaching experience in college spread between three stops. There isn't even the "he learned from *insert legend here*" aspect because 3 of those years were Pastner who we just fired. 5 years college coaching experience is not a long time, especially when it's very short tenure stops.

He has 4.5 years assistant coaching experience in the nba spread between 2 stops. Again, short tenure stops, but I also don't put a ton of stock in NBA coaching experience as it related to the college game. Maybe now it is a little bit more relevant with the transfer portal meaning you have to manage egos a little better, but still the differences between the two leagues makes the experience less relevant to me.

He has 5 years HC experience in college. They were all at a small California school, where you have to include the caveat of how terrible a job it was to take to explain how he did well there. Otherwise he had 3 losing seasons, one season of exactly .500 play, and one winning season where he did win the conference CotY but still missed the NCAAT. It is not contradictory to say he did well there and to say that tenure doesn't warrant him landing the GT job.

The only real thing that stands out about him resume wise is his time as a player. Now in his own words, recruits today don't know who he is (well this was circa 2017 but I doubt he's become more known since then), and he's banking on that carrying weight with family/coaches. But he also hasn't worked with the NIL aspect of college basketball and has minimal experience with the portal since he spent the last two years out of college.

His coaching resume just doesn't stack up well when compared to guys who were being talked about (Richey, Kelsey, Rahim, May, etc).

People love throwing out any name that makes any kind of sense to coaching openings. That way they can say "called it" if the longshot happens. That's one of the reasons he got connected to the Arizona job. He was a west coach mid major coach with some success, that was a former star alum and a former assistant there. But none of that is true with regards to GT. There is a reason nobody even did that with CDS. Because there was no real logical connection. But that same dynamic is still true after the hire, which leads people to be very skeptical of the hire.

Now he was hired quick, and started quick, which was a big deal for a lot of people because it meant we'd have the best opportunity to take advantage of the portal to try and build on the success we had in the last third of the season or so. But that was a temporary advantage that hasn't really manifested itself. We are 4 weeks in with no staff in place, and the portal hasn't given us really anything that we needed. We needed an ACC caliber starting big. We haven't gotten that and have only landed a break in case of emergency big, which is what we already had before. Except now we are worse in that regard as we've lost 4 players to the portal, including our entire front court. In fact we're probably behind where we would be had we gone with some of our other choices because you would expect any of the to bring an assistant or two along with them, and possibly a player or two.

Of course, he'll get his shot here. And when he does he'll be judged more on that than anything. But until then he'll be judged based on what we know of him, like everyone else in the profession. And nobody would be talking about needing to wait until they've coached a game here to judge a hire if people were hyped up about landing Kelsey or Richey nor would anyone be saying that if he brought in two top flight big man transfers and people were hyped over that.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

He has 5 years assistant coaching experience in college spread between three stops. There isn't even the "he learned from *insert legend here*" aspect because 3 of those years were Pastner who we just fired. 5 years college coaching experience is not a long time, especially when it's very short tenure stops.

He has 4.5 years assistant coaching experience in the nba spread between 2 stops. Again, short tenure stops, but I also don't put a ton of stock in NBA coaching experience as it related to the college game. Maybe now it is a little bit more relevant with the transfer portal meaning you have to manage egos a little better, but still the differences between the two leagues makes the experience less relevant to me.

He has 5 years HC experience in college. They were all at a small California school, where you have to include the caveat of how terrible a job it was to take to explain how he did well there. Otherwise he had 3 losing seasons, one season of exactly .500 play, and one winning season where he did win the conference CotY but still missed the NCAAT. It is not contradictory to say he did well there and to say that tenure doesn't warrant him landing the GT job.

The only real thing that stands out about him resume wise is his time as a player. Now in his own words, recruits today don't know who he is (well this was circa 2017 but I doubt he's become more known since then), and he's banking on that carrying weight with family/coaches. But he also hasn't worked with the NIL aspect of college basketball and has minimal experience with the portal since he spent the last two years out of college.

His coaching resume just doesn't stack up well when compared to guys who were being talked about (Richey, Kelsey, Rahim, May, etc).

People love throwing out any name that makes any kind of sense to coaching openings. That way they can say "called it" if the longshot happens. That's one of the reasons he got connected to the Arizona job. He was a west coach mid major coach with some success, that was a former star alum and a former assistant there. But none of that is true with regards to GT. There is a reason nobody even did that with CDS. Because there was no real logical connection. But that same dynamic is still true after the hire, which leads people to be very skeptical of the hire.

Now he was hired quick, and started quick, which was a big deal for a lot of people because it meant we'd have the best opportunity to take advantage of the portal to try and build on the success we had in the last third of the season or so. But that was a temporary advantage that hasn't really manifested itself. We are 4 weeks in with no staff in place, and the portal hasn't given us really anything that we needed. We needed an ACC caliber starting big. We haven't gotten that and have only landed a break in case of emergency big, which is what we already had before. Except now we are worse in that regard as we've lost 4 players to the portal, including our entire front court. In fact we're probably behind where we would be had we gone with some of our other choices because you would expect any of the to bring an assistant or two along with them, and possibly a player or two.

Of course, he'll get his shot here. And when he does he'll be judged more on that than anything. But until then he'll be judged based on what we know of him, like everyone else in the profession. And nobody would be talking about needing to wait until they've coached a game here to judge a hire if people were hyped up about landing Kelsey or Richey nor would anyone be saying that if he brought in two top flight big man transfers and people were hyped over that.
Tell us what you think lv20gt. Don't hold back. LOL

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He's coached at 4 other schools and in the NBA, starting as a director of player development at Rice and, before his recent NBA stint, being named WCC Coach of The Year for winning games at a ****ty Pacific program as head coach. 15 years total coaching experience, across college and pro.
In other words, if you have no idea what you’re talking about, or if you’re passing judgement on this hire before his first practice, do us all a favor and find the exit!

Sheesh..Leave it to the GT fan base to piss on what many experts, analyst are calling a strong hire. Simply because he hasn’t named an assistant…lol

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

Well, I guess if you ignore or discount all the positive aspects of his experience and exaggerate or focus exclusively on every potential negative aspect of his experience, you'd might have a point. Also, please continue to beat that drum the roster and staff are a problem while both are in flux. You are the jedi mater of complaining for the sake of complaining. I bow down to your superior negativity.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It is refreshing to see fonts skipping the potion of coaching dealing with hiring of assistants, recruiting, developing players, scouting and game planning opponents, and managing the in-game strategy and tactics and go right to complaining how bad a coach DS is. Why waste time and effort on the other unimportant stuff, amirit?
GT fans are the ultimate know it all folks! They are also First Class "see I told you" folks.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I’m a huge Sam Vecenie fan as he watches a ton of college basketball. If he approves I approve and will wait and see. Maybe this quells some of the tension; I’m sure even the people who dislike and berate the hire would love to be wrong.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m a huge Sam Vecenie fan as he watches a ton of college basketball. If he approves I approve and will wait and see. Maybe this quells some of the tension; I’m sure even the people who dislike and berate the hire would love to be wrong.
Would love to be wrong so much that they can't help themselves from not shutting the **** up and seeing how it plays out. Haha!

slugboy

Staff member
I also like Vecnie. Speaking of…

I've posted some external thoughts

I tried to link them back here—I remember you doing it, but couldn’t find it (and the site even has a search feature ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

=====

I didn’t like Django Unchained, but the line is a useful one. For me, we’re at the “curiosity” stage. Stoudamire has done enough that smart people watched what he was doing. I expect him to be good at in-game coaching and coaching players up—he’s shown that before. Recruiting is the thing I want to see. Ironically, a lot of our “projects” have hit the portal, and Stoudamire seems to be looking for more established players. My guess is that “steel sharpens steel” and also that he’s looking to win ASAP.

I also would like to see some assistants being hired.

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I also like Vecnie. Speaking of…

I tried to link them back here—I remember you doing it, but couldn’t find it (and the site even has a search feature ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

=====

I didn’t like Django Unchained, but the line is a useful one. For me, we’re at the “curiosity” stage. Stoudamire has done enough that smart people watched what he was doing. I expect him to be good at in-game coaching and coaching players up—he’s shown that before. Recruiting is the thing I want to see. Ironically, a lot of our “projects” have hit the portal, and Stoudamire seems to be looking for more established players. My guess is that “steel sharpens steel” and also that he’s looking to win ASAP.

I also would like to see some assistants being hired.

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

I meant the 3 posts full of tweets today. Not previously.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
CDS jobs to do to make GT competitive in 2023-2024.

1. Remove assistants that were not producing. Done, although I thought we should have kept Wilkins.
2. Keep the players that were producing. So far, so good.
3. Remove players that were not producing. Done, although I don’t know if the 2 freshmen were keepers or not. IMO, one more non producing player to go.
4. Hire 3 assistants. One with national recruiting ties, one with local ties, one to coach. Still to do.
5. Keep Blue Cain. Looks doubtful.
6. Bring in a slasher, a big who can score and a big to defend from the portal. Bring in a shooter, if we lose Cain. We have one, lots of work to do.