Damon Stoudamire Pre-Season Press Conference

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
IMO we've only had 3 slasher-type guys in recent memory who could really just get the ball at the top of the key and get you a bucket when you needed it: Okogie, Jose and senior season Mike Devoe. Maybe Ush as well. I don't really want to play like '22-23 Miami though. It'll be interesting to see what Larranaga does (and he will do something - he's one of the best coaches in the ACC IMO) w/o Wong and Jordan Miller but adding Matthew Cleveland. I'm guessing they build their offense around getting the ball to Omier.
Not sure what "recent memory" means exactly, but in his senior season Jarret Jack was money when we needed a bucket late back in 2004. He won that Kansas game for us driving the lane for hoops or fouls late.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I took what he said to mean that throughout the recruiting process, he and his staff have time to get to know the character of the kid and how that kid is going to fit within the community of the team and that is easier with HS kids. He wants high-character kids in the program and discerning that may not always be easy with portal transfers. However, I do see him targeting portal transfers that he spent time and effort developing relationships with during the HS recruiting process that might have been misses or not quite takes coming out of HS.
Thinking about this thought: Players enter the portal generally in April into May. They sign on to their new programs in May into late June. That is a process of only several weeks. That isn't a lot of time from contact to signing. With the high school kids, we are seeing official visits before a recruits Junior season. That means there is MUCH more time to get to know these players unless the staff also recruited the transfer out of high school

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Not having anyone who could break down individuals has been an issue for GT offenses for a while. I will be interesting to see of Abram or Reeves can breakdown individuals. They seem the most likely.

My guess is Ndongo doesn't start games early this year but easily could do so by mid January.
Makes me think of having Jack and Bynum on the same team, they could both break down individual defenders.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure what "recent memory" means exactly, but in his senior season Jarret Jack was money when we needed a bucket late back in 2004. He won that Kansas game for us driving the lane for hoops or fouls late.
And beat UNC with that shot from the foul line. I was in Chapel Hill (grad school) for that game watching with my future wife at a bar. When he hit that shot, I screamed in a completely quiet bar. We got out of there pretty quick.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Don't consider almost 20 years ago recent memory. But agree Jack was a helluva player!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
CDS has a, you know, very different, you know, style of interacting with the Press. He's quite, you know, laid back and quite casual.
Authentic and honest. I feel like he has a good idea of what kind of team/culture he wants to have. Now he has to bring these guys together, teach and develop them, and build it. May take some time and success is not guaranteed. Maybe it's a gold-colored glasses but I get a good feel from DS.