Damon Stoudamire Pre-Season Press Conference

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
When asked about the portal: "For me, I like Freshmen."

Explains the heavy emphasis on high school recruits.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

It does. It will be interesting to see how this plays out the next few years. CDS clearly is smart enough to know the Portal is essential for all teams.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Another interesting quote, comparing the association of winning the trenches in football to winning games, "Generally, if you don't turn the ball over and rebound on both sides of the floor, you have a good chance of winning. That is a formula I'd like to follow moving forward."

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I liked the whole thing. He seemed much relaxed than in the YouTube interviews a few months ago.

Take aways:

Is he saying Ndongo will have a big impact on the team this year? Or, did he just want to say something about him while he remembered how to pronounce the name?

I noticed particularly his comment about threes. He knows they are important, but he wants guys to take shots they can make. He also said he does not want to be last again in the ACC in assists. I checked that and he is wrong. We were in the middle of the conference in both assists and assist/turnover ratio. An odd piece of data on the ACC website shows Sturdivant with 3.33 assists per game and ranked #14 in the conference. As a team we had 14 APG and 6 TPG. We were simply not a good shooting team last year and that affected our assist totals. You don't get an assist, no matter how perfect and timely the pass, if the shot is missed. And, to his point about rebounding, we were a poor defensive rebounding team (probably because of the zone defense) and middling on the offensive boards.

He noted that Kelly was not even All-ACC last year and he needs to play like an All-American this year. I don't think he is saying Miles needs to be an A-A, but he needs to play like one. I think he needs to be more consistent. There were games last year where it seemed nothing would fall for him.

We have a good schedule that gives us a chance to be good by January. I like that our December ACC game is one we are not likely to win no matter when it's played. Then we have some winnable ACC games before we have to play Duke again.

Another thing. Being a senior will not give anyone an advantage over a freshman. The best players will play.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the fact we have some length across the floor and while we may not yet have 5 star talent in the post, we have some athleticism and shot blocking. Like most, I am excited to see how the team performs.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He also said that his past teams were good defensively but not as good offensively.

Good to see he verbalized the past situation. First step to fixing a problem is recognizing it.

Do we think we have good offensive assistant coaches to help in this area?

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
"I don't have a lot of breakdown guys [meaning players who can break down the defender and create their own shots]," so he wants a lot of ball movement, and to get out in transition off of turnovers and defensive pressure, and maybe secondary transition off of the defensive boards. Him calling out Miles Kelly to be a "shot maker" and needed to play at an All American level means to me that Stoudamire intends to feature Kelly. I'll be interested to see how we try to get Kelly open for shots.

Jaeden Mustaf is going to be a "breakdown guy" next year.

Based on the press conference, I would say that we are looking to use a long rotation to be able to apply defensive pressure, to try to create a positive turnover margin. Stoudamire says that he wants to "get up and down" on defense but I don't know if that means full court, three-quarters or half court pressure or how often. I think he wants to be big on the boards to create transition opportunities, and in the half court to use ball movement to try to isolate and feature Miles Kelly.

We know Ndongo is going to play. Does he start? Is he a 4 or 5?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
"I don't have a lot of breakdown guys [meaning players who can break down the defender and create their own shots]," so he wants a lot of ball movement, and to get out in transition off of turnovers and defensive pressure, and maybe secondary transition off of the defensive boards. Him calling out Miles Kelly to be a "shot maker" and needed to play at an All American level means to me that Stoudamire intends to feature Kelly. I'll be interested to see how we try to get Kelly open for shots.

Based on the press conference, I would say that we are looking to use a long rotation to be able to apply defensive pressure, to try to create a positive turnover margin. Stoudamire says that he wants to "get up and down" on defense but I don't know if that means full court, three-quarters or half court pressure or how often. I think he wants to be big on the boards to create transition opportunities, and in the half court to use ball movement to try to isolate and feature Miles Kelly.

Not having anyone who could break down individuals has been an issue for GT offenses for a while. I will be interesting to see of Abram or Reeves can breakdown individuals. They seem the most likely.

My guess is Ndongo doesn't start games early this year but easily could do so by mid January.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Not having anyone who could break down individuals has been an issue for GT offenses for a while. I will be interesting to see of Abram or Reeves can breakdown individuals. They seem the most likely.

My guess is Ndongo doesn't start games early this year but easily could do so by mid January.
I thought Lance Terry did the best last year at taking his man off the dribble

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I believe CDS wants his defense to deny the opposing offense any opportunity to relax. Playing deep into this backcourt bench can keep fresh legs pressuring the ball.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I thought Lance Terry did the best last year at taking his man off the dribble
IMO we've only had 3 slasher-type guys in recent memory who could really just get the ball at the top of the key and get you a bucket when you needed it: Okogie, Jose and senior season Mike Devoe. Maybe Ush as well. I don't really want to play like '22-23 Miami though. It'll be interesting to see what Larranaga does (and he will do something - he's one of the best coaches in the ACC IMO) w/o Wong and Jordan Miller but adding Matthew Cleveland. I'm guessing they build their offense around getting the ball to Omier.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, Kelly/Abrams/Reeves have the ability to break down the defender 1v1. I don't think the film for Abrams and Reeves in playing in the SEC would argue against that, and it will also translate to the ACC. Stoudamire didn't say we didn't have any, he just said he we don't have many...which is true. Sturdy also has some ability to breakdown the defender, but he's not as explosive like the three I named earlier. We definitely have more scoring options on the roster than we've had since our NCAAT team with Jose/Devoe/Usher/Wright.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I get what he's trying to say, but given the transfer portal (both ways), and NIL....I think that tune may change after a couple of years.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I get what he's trying to say, but given the transfer portal (both ways), and NIL....I think that tune may change after a couple of years.

I heard him say this, but his actions show he has an understanding of the importance of the portal.

I also recall, in his intro press conf.,he mentioned using the portal as well.

Not fighting with you (for once), just thinking his response was probably more of a throwaway comment imho.

On another note, I'm curious to hear from those that were critical of his initial press interactions. Some were worried he'd have a problem with it. Seems fine to me.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I heard him correctly, he said he wants the core roster to be guys he recruited out of high school, but he will use the portal to fill gaps and provide depth where needed.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If I heard him correctly, he said he wants the core roster to be guys he recruited out of high school, but he will use the portal to fill gaps and provide depth where needed.

@kg01 @orientalnc

I was mostly being sarcastic when I said that given the headaches that coaches need to deal with when players out of high school still have to be recruited after the season is over given that they can transfer again without recourse, whereas transfers will are pretty much stuck unless they want to eat a year.

Stoudamire may be pulling his hair out after dealing with that for 2 seasons especially if some of the freshmen are developed into high caliber level players that other schools throw big NIL money at.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

If I heard him correctly, he is going to play the best players for the situation. Would like it to be recruited guys, but IIWII. Smart tact for him to take since the recruiting of HS players takes a lot more time establishing trust and hope. So he should say he wants to use HS players.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I heard him say this, but his actions show he has an understanding of the importance of the portal.

I also recall, in his intro press conf.,he mentioned using the portal as well.

Not fighting with you (for once), just thinking his response was probably more of a throwaway comment imho.

On another note, I'm curious to hear from those that were critical of his initial press interactions. Some were worried he'd have a problem with it. Seems fine to me.
I took what he said to mean that throughout the recruiting process, he and his staff have time to get to know the character of the kid and how that kid is going to fit within the community of the team and that is easier with HS kids. He wants high-character kids in the program and discerning that may not always be easy with portal transfers. However, I do see him targeting portal transfers that he spent time and effort developing relationships with during the HS recruiting process that might have been misses or not quite takes coming out of HS.