Cutting scholarship players

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I guess maybe I’m looking from a different viewpoint. If somebody had told me junior year that I had to quit my degree path and go to Florida Atlantic to finish my engineering/business degree, I wouldn’t have been thrilled.
I too think I have a different perspective from most of my colleagues here. While I am glad to have gone to GT, I don't believe I would have been any less successful in life (whatever that might mean) had I gone elsewhere. These guys (GT athletes) are motivated and goal oriented as well so I think the same of them.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess maybe I’m looking from a different viewpoint. If somebody had told me junior year that I had to quit my degree path and go to Florida Atlantic to finish my engineering/business degree, I wouldn’t have been thrilled. Especially after the coaches had spent 2 years in HS telling me and my parents how wonderful a Tech degree would look on my resume.
I get what you are saying here, but what is the difference between losing a Hope scholarship because you didn't make the grades and losing a football scholarship because you didn't play football well?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I get what you are saying here, but what is the difference between losing a Hope scholarship because you didn't make the grades and losing a football scholarship because you didn't play football well?
The difference is that the hope scholarship didn't recruit you and make you a ton of promises on brotherhood family and love lol.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Don't get be wrong, I'm fully against cutting players, but if you're not doing well in your coursework that's on you. But I don't think you can compare it apples to apples like that. There are many layers to this.

Think you misinterpreted that. In my example I’m being cut for football reasons. Not grade reasons.

Deleted member 2897

Education man, come on. If you’re a kid who’s borderline being cut in P5 then you’re not there to go to the NFL. So you’re trying to get your degree. And after these coaches promised you the world out of HS, now they’re telling you “hey, you’re cool paying an extra $20-30K a year to stay here and keep studying, right? Nah, you can’t afford that? Cool, there’s the door.”

“Sure, diagnose me with a medical disqualification like concussion risk, and I’m good.”

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I guess we’ve gotten a little off topic here with me being the main culprit. Maybe we can get the Mods to shift this to a different thread?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The difference is that the hope scholarship didn't recruit you and make you a ton of promises on brotherhood family and love lol.

Without intentionally being offensive here, I am just curious if you have a sports background. Guys at this level understand the pecking order and most aren't happy just being "part of the family". It's too much work. They want to play, and are probably getting feedback on why they are not playing. yes, there are walkons content to be associated with the program (which is amazing in its own way) but the guys who are on scholarship don't usually have that mindset. imo.I could be wrong of course.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Education man, come on. If you’re a kid who’s borderline being cut in P5 then you’re not there to go to the NFL. So you’re trying to get your degree. And after these coaches promised you the world out of HS, now they’re telling you “hey, you’re cool paying an extra $20-30K a year to stay here and keep studying, right? Nah, you can’t afford that? Cool, there’s the door.”

That isn't screwing them over. It's not unfair. It's exactly like how every other student who wasn't good enough to earn a scholarship out of highschool. If they couldn't afford it they had to go somewhere else.

To a more general point.

I've never really understood why people think the requirements to keep a full ride scholarship should basically be trying hard, staying out of trouble, and maintaining like a 2.2 gpa or something. The criteria for getting a scholarship out of highschool is football ability, so why do so many seem to remove that aspect from the equation entirely when it comes time to renew?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I gotta quibble a bit with how this conversation has been framed. These ASU recruits did not have a scholarship pulled. They had a non-binding (for both parties) scholarship offer rescinded. There literally is no scholarship to be pulled until that Letter of Intent is signed. Unless they were told otherwise, ASU didn't do anything wrong here. Harsh but the way the game is played on both sides. Remember, the recruit also has the option to flip elsewhere and leave the school in the lurch.

What is unusual is the recruits' going public with it, so I guess ASU did do something to rub them the wrong way. Because, generally, they just say they are opening their recruitment after a conversation with staff, family and they feel it's in their best interest, etc.

Now, if we want to have the old debate about processing players who actually are on scholarship, as it looks like where this conversation is going, an entirely different deal, and one that I have mixed feelings on.

Last edited:

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Without intentionally being offensive here, I am just curious if you have a sports background. Guys at this level understand the pecking order and most aren't happy just being "part of the family". It's too much work. They want to play, and are probably getting feedback on why they are not playing. yes, there are walkons content to be associated with the program (which is amazing in its own way) but the guys who are on scholarship don't usually have that mindset. imo.I could be wrong of course.
I don't think we will get to the bottom of it here anyways. I've been trying not to get into this specific debate, but I got sucked in lol and worse it was off topic in another thread!

Yes I do have a sports background and I don't take offense to the question. It's just a difference of opinion on what's right and wrong

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I gotta quibble a bit with how this conversation has been framed. These ASU recruits did not have a scholarship pulled. They had a non-binding (for both parties) scholarship offer rescinded. There literally is no scholarship to be pulled until that Letter of Intent is signed. Unless they were told otherwise, ASU didn't do anything wrong here. Harsh but the way the game is played on both sides. Remember, the recruit also has the option to flip elsewhere and leave the school in the lurch.

What is unusual is the recruits' going public with it, so I guess ASU did do something to rub them the wrong way. Because, generally, they just say they are opening their recruitment after a conversation with staff, family and they feel it's in their best interest, etc.

Now, if we want to have the old debate about processing players who actually are on scholarship, as it looks like where this conversation is going, an entirely different deal, and one that I have mixed feelings on.

Fair enough on the quibble. there are two distinct things being discussed here and when I moved these from a specific recruit's thread to here, I did not give the thread title enough thought.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I played college basketball for two years. When I say I played, that is a stretch by almost any definition. I logged about ten minutes my Freshman year and about double that for my Sophomore season. My coach told me late in the year to enjoy this year on the team as it was my last. It was not mean or anything, he simply told me what I already suspected. I was not the first nor the last.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

So once again I will post that ALL P5 conferences have a policy that YOU CANNOT TAKE A SCHOLARSHIP FROM SOMEONE WHO SIGNS AN LOI OUT OF HS FOR PERFORMANCE ISSUES. You can make one year deals with walkons but you can’t “cut”‘someone’s scholarship. You can remove them from the team but not school. As was said this is a completely different issue as they had not signed yet.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So once again I will post that ALL P5 conferences have a policy that YOU CANNOT TAKE A SCHOLARSHIP FROM SOMEONE WHO SIGNS AN LOI OUT OF HS FOR PERFORMANCE ISSUES. You can make one year deals with walkons but you can’t “cut”‘someone’s scholarship. You can remove them from the team but not school. As was said this is a completely different issue as they had not signed yet.
Thanks for clarifying that difference.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough on the quibble. there are two distinct things being discussed here and when I moved these from a specific recruit's thread to here, I did not give the thread title enough thought.

Oh no worries. It was the the recruits themselves and the media who framed it that way to start with, just wanted to clarify it.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, this is correct, too, good point.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I mean I get it... but does an employer say.. oh man.. you have kids and a wife and a dog? ahh I won't fire you because you're not meeting numbers?

The thought process that a student athlete is exempt from being an ADULT is mind blowing. They take the risk in going to a bigger program where they can easily be out worked. I have no sympathy for a kid that just doesn't have it. YOU HAVE TO EARN THE SCHOLARSHIP. Now of course the coaching staff should help the kids as much as they can, but if the kid isn't cutting it, and there is better value somewhere else. So be it. People get hired and fired every day. In this case they are living scott free. Free room and board, free food, free education. All of essential needs are met and then some. If for some reason your performance suffers then your scholarship should be on the line. Can't be giving these kids scholarships and saying if you make it you make it, either way what you did in high school is enough for you to earn a free ride in college. That is absurd.

I know these ASU students weren't signed yet. And that is a thin rope to walk with Herman because it may put doubt in all recruits that they may get their offer pulled too.

But overall I am all for the NCAA changing the rules and allowing programs to pull scholarships of underperforming athletes.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have never understood the problem with cutting players. It happens all the time at levels of sports below the D1 level but for some reason, people feel like college athletics should be exempt. Why keep a guy around that won't help your program but maybe could play and be a contributor elsewhere, even if it means dropping down a level or two? I am serious about wanting to understand this from an opposing perspective.

Well, I am quite certain coach Dodd would have never pulled the scholarship. Now, before before everyone starts screaming at me that times have changed and nowadays everybody does it, I would posit that just because throughout our society morality and ethics have sunk to gutter levels, that does not mean that our Institute should put aside all integrity.

if GT makes an offer and the SA accepts it, then Tech is committed to allowing the scholarship. If, however, the student athlete does not commit to that offer and continues to shop, then all bets are off, and Tech continues to look also.

if, of course, the kid is already on scholarship, the scholarship should never be pulled. Georgia Tech coaches and assistants should be held to a much higher standard of knowledge as to whether or not the young recruit can cut it at Georgia Tech.