Cutting scholarship players

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
CB to Arizona State yesterday and today an OL they had committed announced that they dropped him from their class.

Oooooh, that's SEC level dirty. ASU cannot comment but this isn't a good look. They dropped a TE recruit's scholarship offer today as well.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Oooooh, that's SEC level dirty. ASU cannot comment but this isn't a good look. They dropped a TE recruit's scholarship offer today as well.

I think it happens everywhere, but most recruits find it in their best interest to stick with the narrative that it was their own decision.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it happens everywhere, but most recruits find it in their best interest to stick with the narrative that it was their own decision.
Yeah, I agree. The mutual decision stuff is so phony though. It’s why you rarely see kids recommit. Most of the time, it’s the school that’s no longer interested

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I tend to give a guy like Herm Edwards the benefit of the doubt as he’s known to be a good guy and not playing dirty pool like that. I would suspect that there’s a legit reason besides “we found someone we liked better” for the guys that ASU might have dropped.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I tend to give a guy like Herm Edwards the benefit of the doubt as he’s known to be a good guy and not playing dirty pool like that. I would suspect that there’s a legit reason besides “we found someone we liked better” for the guys that ASU might have dropped.

Im not saying Herm’s a bad guy or that we’ve never done the same thing, but it’s plain as day what happened. It was less than 24 hours between the CB for Bethea and the announcement that a commit playing the exact same position (OT) got cut loose.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Herm has never really hid from this. From the jump in 2018:

ESPN: Herm Edwards reiterates threat to cut players who have 'packed it in'

"Basically, everyone does this," Edwards said. "It's nothing new. People are acting like I'm doing something different, I'm not doing anything different. I'm basically telling guys -- and there's not going to be that many of them, but there's a few -- that if it doesn't look like they're going to be helping us on this football team, then they become students. If they want to transfer, we'll help them transfer."
"People think I'm taking their scholarship away and running them off," Edwards said. "I'm not running them off at all. Some of them ain't good enough. It's no one's fault, but it's like, 'Hey, man, what are we doing here?'

"I'm just being honest. I'm telling the truth. Here's how it works, guys."

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

In a way, have to admire that. Although I'm not sure how universal these things are looking from the outside. Seems to me some programs do it differently. I admired CPJ for his approach. I don't think he ever cut anyone or pulled a ship because of performance. Some didn't like the "if you're looking we're looking" deal, but so long as you are up front with your recruits and SAs about how you do things, I have no problem with it. CGC obviously is doing things differently and really pushing the roster spots. Some people have felt he's been behind the scenes cutting folks, but I have not seen anyone actually in the program communicate a real concern about this.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I have never understood the problem with cutting players. It happens all the time at levels of sports below the D1 level but for some reason, people feel like college athletics should be exempt. Why keep a guy around that won't help your program but maybe could play and be a contributor elsewhere, even if it means dropping down a level or two? I am serious about wanting to understand this from an opposing perspective.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I have never understood the problem with cutting players. It happens all the time at levels of sports below the D1 level but for some reason, people feel like college athletics should be exempt. Why keep a guy around that won't help your program but maybe could play and be a contributor elsewhere, even if it means dropping down a level or two? I am serious about wanting to understand this from an opposing perspective.

Education man, come on. If you’re a kid who’s borderline being cut in P5 then you’re not there to go to the NFL. So you’re trying to get your degree. And after these coaches promised you the world out of HS, now they’re telling you “hey, you’re cool paying an extra $20-30K a year to stay here and keep studying, right? Nah, you can’t afford that? Cool, there’s the door.”

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Education man, come on. If you’re a kid who’s borderline being cut in P5 then you’re not there to go to the NFL. So you’re trying to get your degree. And after these coaches promised you the world out of HS, now they’re telling you “hey, you’re cool paying an extra $20-30K a year to stay here and keep studying, right? Nah, you can’t afford that? Cool, there’s the door.”
I don't think it's Georgia Tech or bust for these guys. If they want to play FB I would imagine if you are good enough athlete to get a P5 schollie someone somewhere else will give you a schollie as well.It may be down a level but it is still a free education.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it's Georgia Tech or bust for these guys. If they want to play FB I would imagine if you are good enough athlete to get a P5 schollie someone somewhere else will give you a schollie as well.It may be down a level but it is still a free education.

I guess maybe I’m looking from a different viewpoint. If somebody had told me junior year that I had to quit my degree path and go to Florida Atlantic to finish my engineering/business degree, I wouldn’t have been thrilled. Especially after the coaches had spent 2 years in HS telling me and my parents how wonderful a Tech degree would look on my resume.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I guess maybe I’m looking from a different viewpoint. If somebody had told me junior year that I had to quit my degree path and go to Florida Atlantic to finish my engineering/business degree, I wouldn’t have been thrilled. Especially after the coaches had spent 2 years in HS telling me and my parents how wonderful a Tech degree would look on my resume.
Don't get be wrong, I'm fully against cutting players, but if you're not doing well in your coursework that's on you. But I don't think you can compare it apples to apples like that. There are many layers to this.