Cuse Postgame

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
In some contexts what you describe is a failure. In some it is a win. Key addressed this in his postgame comments referencing the 6-5 season in 1997, plus a bowl win. Wes Durham talked about it, too. 1997 was the year their heads popped up above water after the disaster of the B*** L**** years. They went on to conference and Gator Bowl champs the next year, top 10 rankings after that, and almost two decades straight of bowls. You may retain your thinking, if that is that you choose to do, but I choose to see the progress and the fighting spirit these young men have exhibited this season. It has not been easy against a pretty tough schedule while regaining their confidence over and over after a stumble. It hasn't been pretty, but it has been successful at the level it needed to be this season. We go up from here.
Speaking of B*** L*** (who I had honestly completely forgotten and literally had to look up on Google!), he was fired mid-season after a 1-7 start. George O'Leary went 0-3 to finish his interim season. GO went 6-5 his first full year.

I feel like we are right on schedule, and the glass is half full.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Great win--not because Syracuse is a great football team, but we needed to show that we can beat the teams we should beat in order to prove the progress that we have all seen this year. No, its not amazing success, but it is a GREAT step in the right direction, and certainly something to celebrate. Here are some things about the actual football game that I saw with my amateur eye:

-We came out with a good plan on defense and executed it (mostly) well. Kudos to the defensive staff for being ready and putting the players in the right position! It looked to me like we kept 3 LBs out there at all times and rolled the safeties in too.
-Speaking of LBs, I am buying stock in #44. Efford has been a revelation, and now he has an INT to go with his game leading 11 tackles. He takes good angles, is hard to block, hits hard and wraps us well. He now lead the team in tackles.
-Haynes King is one tough dude. He takes a lot of hits. Jamal Haynes is also a really tough runner and hard to take down.
-Singleton is such a talented receiver but he has dropped the equivalent of 150-200 yards in the last two games. I don't think I saw him drop one pass before this.
-How about a big round of applause for Aiden Birr?
-We need to fix the punt return issues.
-I'm really proud of the team's response in the fourth quarter. Almost everything went wrong in the 3rd quarter and they could have folded. But they stayed mentally strong and finished the game. I think they are more and more taking on the character of their coach, and that's a good thing.

Go Jackets! Let's do it again next week.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
As I said to a few friends last night. Have we had ugly games this year, sure. Did last night have some.Wtf moments , sure.
But pulling all that aside , we met the collective goal of getting to a bowl

After the debacle of the last 3 seasons, how can one be so down on that. This isnt accepting mediocrity, this is accepting that we are getting better.

Key has some work to fix in the offseason, we can all see that, but can't we just enjoy not having another 3 win season.

We are digging out of that massive hole the Collins got us in, so let's enjoy it

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Great win--not because Syracuse is a great football team, but we needed to show that we can beat the teams we should beat in order to prove the progress that we have all seen this year. No, its not amazing success, but it is a GREAT step in the right direction, and certainly something to celebrate. Here are some things about the actual football game that I saw with my amateur eye:

-We came out with a good plan on defense and executed it (mostly) well. Kudos to the defensive staff for being ready and putting the players in the right position! It looked to me like we kept 3 LBs out there at all times and rolled the safeties in too.
-Speaking of LBs, I am buying stock in #44. Efford has been a revelation, and now he has an INT to go with his game leading 11 tackles. He takes good angles, is hard to block, hits hard and wraps us well. He now lead the team in tackles.
-Haynes King is one tough dude. He takes a lot of hits. Jamal Haynes is also a really tough runner and hard to take down.
-Singleton is such a talented receiver but he has dropped the equivalent of 150-200 yards in the last two games. I don't think I saw him drop one pass before this.
-How about a big round of applause for Aiden Birr?
-We need to fix the punt return issues.
-I'm really proud of the team's response in the fourth quarter. Almost everything went wrong in the 3rd quarter and they could have folded. But they stayed mentally strong and finished the game. I think they are more and more taking on the character of their coach, and that's a good thing.

Go Jackets! Let's do it again next week.
I think we need that 3rd LB in there and Efford, Moala, Tatum, Oliver, and White played well last night. That was the most encouraging thing I saw.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
As I recall, we weren't running the ball well in the second half (nothing was working) until the game clinching drive.
We had 66 yards total offense in the second half, until the game clinching drive which was a Paul Johnson Death March. Others were calling for a final try at a touchdown at the end. I disagree. There was no point in rubbing it in on a coach likely to get fired and that is NOT who we are as a program. Do the right thing always.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
We had 66 yards total offense in the second half, until the game clinching drive which was a Paul Johnson Death March. Others were calling for a final try at a touchdown at the end. I disagree. There was no point in rubbing it in on a coach likely to get fired and that is NOT who we are as a program. Do the right thing always.
Already beat the spread, anyway..

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Brent Key making me cry with his postgame interview
Brent Key is looking at the accomplishments the team has made since he’s took over. We’ve won 6 games baby and imo blew a couple games. Ga Tech will recruit better and we should do very good in the transfer portal. Good football players will want to be part of what’s goi g on in Atlanta. Let’s give the defense some love they got to the football last night it was a stupid penalty that cost us momentum of blowing Syracuse out.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Missing that obvious a** call in the first place was only surpassed by reviewing it, in slow motion, and still getting it wrong AF.

One would almost have to be trying to get it wrong.
This is my general reaction but since this was reviewed at the big muckety-muck ACC command and control center and they said it was helmet to helmet contact in the dangerous head and neck area but they saw no evidence of targeting, I’m willing to give them one more fking chance to explain this to me like I’m a 3rd grader.

I’ll be happy to get into the nuances of targeting with anyone but I just want an official explanation THAT MAKES SENSE as to why that was not targeting.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Here is the progress. We went from being a 5 win team to a 6 win team thanks mostly to the worst coaching mistake in the history of college football. I guess that can be seen as progress but it honestly isn’t much better.
"The worst coaching mistake in the history of college football"? To Alabama fans it was the hiring of Ray Perkins or JD "Ears" Whitworth, to UGA fans it was Ray Goff or the guy that followed Wally Butts, to Florida fans it was Mullins or Champ or Zook, but for my money (and his) it was Texas A&M blowing $70 million on Jimbo but yes Collins probably supplanted Bill Lewis as the worst in Tech history.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Brent Key is looking at the accomplishments the team has made since he’s took over. We’ve won 6 games baby and imo blew a couple games. Ga Tech will recruit better and we should do very good in the transfer portal. Good football players will want to be part of what’s goi g on in Atlanta. Let’s give the defense some love they got to the football last night it was a stupid penalty that cost us momentum of blowing Syracuse out.
We really needed the win last night. The perception for recruits and media will be that Tech is climbing slowly out of the abyss that it has been in for five years. Blowouts are nice but for me, just win baby.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
This is my general reaction but since this was reviewed at the big muckety-muck ACC command and control center and they said it was helmet to helmet contact in the dangerous head and neck area but they saw no evidence of targeting, I’m willing to give them one more fking chance to explain this to me like I’m a 3rd grader.

I’ll be happy to get into the nuances of targeting with anyone but I just want an official explanation THAT MAKES SENSE as to why that was not targeting.
That was targeting and it’s not even debatable.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

I don't see helmet to helmet contact called anymore, and I thought that was because it was basically included in targeting, but I guess not.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’ll say it, Just get the hell out of here for the night. How are you going to piss on the parade after the last 3 years?
Let him go. He is entitled to his opinion. After all, the beauty of a football forum is the Monday morning quarterbacking that entitles know nothings and keyboard warriors like myself to pontificate and let steam out. It is a form of therapy to lower my blood pressure.