Curtis Ryans has entered the transfer portal

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I wonder why he is leaving not? Not good. Speculation on how good most of these other guys will or could be but Ryans when he played was good. Hate to see him go.
It's usually not just one thing. There can be a lot of things going on off the field. Balancing athletics and academics is not easy. I hope this young man finds whatever he needs to become successful in life. He gave GT great effort.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I wonder why he is leaving not? Not good. Speculation on how good most of these other guys will or could be but Ryans when he played was good. Hate to see him go.
It's usually not just one thing. There can be a lot of things going on off the field. Balancing athletics and academics is not easy. I hope this young man finds whatever he needs to become successful in life. He gave GT great effort.
Those trying to find some underlying staff or team culture problem to explain his leaving are wasting their time. The NCAA changed the rules making it easier to transfer. All we’re seeing is kids exercising their right to switch schools doing so because it doesn’t have the career penalty it used to have. You all gotta admit, GT ain’t the easiest place to hang.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
With the numbers we have at DE it is not a surprise to see transfers. I think the staff is very high on some of the younger guys as well. Add in the transfers who are expected to make an impact (White, Harris) some guys may see the writing on the wall. Either way, I appreciate what Curtis did while he was here and wish him nothing but the best moving forward.

Also want to mention that transfers are now just part of the norm in college athletics moreso than it was in the past. We may as well get used to it.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I wish this young man the best and enjoyed watching him play and rep the ATL . That being said, I haven’t been this excited about our front 5 in some time. We may have a full two deep rotation that will look more like the top half of our league.
Wow, did I just say that? I’m really looking forward to seeing a 3rd and long with Clayton and White moving all over the place with 3 other rush ends or LBs.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, this sucks. This guy can play. I know we have transfers, etc. but I was looking forward to seeing what this guy becomes his junior and senior season. He’s a player.
I feel your pain. I agree with your thoughts and think he would have been productive for us any of the past 10 years. I remember 2014 and a young kid being forced into action (Freeman) as a true freshman at about 6’1” and 215 lbs. He played admirably. Curtis would have been a multi year starter in my opinion.
The difference is that this staff has obviously placed a premium on the position and have been able to take advantage of the changing landscape through the portal.
With out the 3 portal transfers, I don’t think this young man would be leaving. This is my speculation with zero inside info. I want to say we are loaded at the position but would be a little premature. Let’s just say we are very crowded with a combination of highly rated (either out of high school or based on college production) players we are not accustomed to having on the flats.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I feel your pain. I agree with your thoughts and think he would have been productive for us any of the past 10 years. I remember 2014 and a young kid being forced into action (Freeman) as a true freshman at about 6’1” and 215 lbs. He played admirably. Curtis would have been a multi year starter in my opinion.
The difference is that this staff has obviously placed a premium on the position and have been able to take advantage of the changing landscape through the portal.
With out the 3 portal transfers, I don’t think this young man would be leaving. This is my speculation with zero inside info. I want to say we are loaded at the position but would be a little premature. Let’s just say we are very crowded with a combination of highly rated (either out of high school or based on college production) players we are not accustomed to having on the flats.
That DE from that time was at least 6-4, if we're talking the same person. His most productive year was his Freshman year, IIRC.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our previous defensive staff was a disaster. I’m not putting that on Freeman. He was a baller but since our entire focus was on the offensive system the defense was left to whither on the vine from a coaching standpoint. Our current staff is way ahead on the defensive side.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Actually he was 6-1 215 his Freshman year and 6-1 236 his senior year. A very solid player and absolutely great pers
Keshun Freeman? I could have sworn he was much taller. He was in my daughter's Spanish class and she just texted me and said he was taller than me and I'm 6-1. Oh well. That was 5-6 years ago though when they were in class together. :)

Last edited: