Current ACC Baseball Statistics

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking through some of the stats, looks like bats are fine, good not great. Pitching is absolutely terrible so far this season. Surprisingly, our fielding is middle of the road for ACC so can't blame errors. Still could be better it's not our issue.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Of note, at least to me anyway: GT’s previous pitching coach, Jason Howell — who was let go by GT following the 2019 season — returned to North Carolina as their pitching coach in 2020. Howell now has his Tar Heel pitchers ranked 5th in the conference with a team ERA of 3.43.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Of note, at least to me anyway: GT’s previous pitching coach, Jason Howell — who was let go by GT following the 2019 season — returned to North Carolina as their pitching coach in 2020. Howell now has his Tar Heel pitchers ranked 5th in the conference with a team ERA of 3.43.
UNC's head coach (Forbes) is also a pitching guy.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So for our worst in the ACC pitching which of these reasons predominates in your opinion? I don't know the reason(s) and I don't think the coaching staff does either or they'd fix it. It isn't 6 or 7 IMHO but I put them on there.

1. DBo changes mechanics too much and makes pitchers unreliable.
  2. Poor selection of pitchers to start or relieve that day.
  3. Slow hook on struggling pitchers.
  4. GIT makes pitchers think too much.
  5. Pitch selection doesn’t suit pitcher and game situation.
  6. Don’t have recruited talent.
  7. Bad luck.
  8. Other.
Maybe we'll get better by the end of the season, but we are already ~30% (~18/60) of the way through. Need to have Pastner come on the staff for late season improvements. (tic) Nothing we can do about it except ***** and accept; baseball is too minor a sport for AD Batt to get involved and we have Hall till he decides to leave.

1679151643774.png

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
So for our worst in the ACC pitching which of these reasons predominates in your opinion? I don't know the reason(s) and I don't think the coaching staff does either or they'd fix it. It isn't 6 or 7 IMHO but I put them on there.

7. Bad luck.
  8. Other.
Maybe we'll get better by the end of the season, but we are already ~30% (~18/60) of the way through. Need to have Pastner come on the staff for late season improvements. (tic) Nothing we can do about it except ***** and accept; baseball is too minor a sport for AD Batt to get involved and we have Hall till he decides to leave.

View attachment 14157

7 isn’t even a thought when it’s a multiple season, on-going problem.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

7. Bad luck.
  8. Other.

View attachment 14157
Pitching has always been a problem for this team. But for this purpose, I'll connect it to DBo. Agree with @LargeFO ... bad luck isn't it given the sample size.

I think nearly everyone inside & outside the program applauded the DBo hire. Seemed like a slam dunk (some) improvement would result. It hasn't despite better facilities/technology & his long success & experience with NYY.

To me... that must mean there is something about the college game & development that doesn't translate with his skillset. I can't be specific because I'm just a dumb fan with the knowledge developed from watching games... nearly all on my TV screen.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

7. Bad luck.
  8. Other.

View attachment 14157
I'll go with mostly #1, and a little bit of #4 and #5. It is my understanding that DBo, as a roving minor league pitching instructor, has never had the responsibility of calling pitches. IOW, he doesn't have experience with getting hitters in a situation to fail. That is the main job of pitch calling, getting hitters in a situation to fail. I was hopeful that Wieters was brought in to help with that issue, but I've not heard if that has been the case or not.

What will be interesting to see is if DBo's pitchers have greater than expected success at the professional level. My suspicion is that they will, and I mean that as a compliment to DBo. My theory is that he is setting them up for long term success, but at the expense of near term success.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I'll go with mostly #1, and a little bit of #4 and #5. It is my understanding that DBo, as a roving minor league pitching instructor, has never had the responsibility of calling pitches. IOW, he doesn't have experience with getting hitters in a situation to fail. That is the main job of pitch calling, getting hitters in a situation to fail. I was hopeful that Wieters was brought in to help with that issue, but I've not heard if that has been the case or not.

What will be interesting to see is if DBo's pitchers have greater than expected success at the professional level. My suspicion is that they will, and I mean that as a compliment to DBo. My theory is that he is setting them up for long term success, but at the expense of near term success.
You accomplish the bolded sentence by throwing strikes, especially strike 1. We don't do that often enough.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Pitching has always been a problem for this team. But for this purpose, I'll connect it to DBo. Agree with @LargeFO ... bad luck isn't it given the sample size.

I think nearly everyone inside & outside the program applauded the DBo hire. Seemed like a slam dunk (some) improvement would result. It hasn't despite better facilities/technology & his long success & experience with NYY.

To me... that must mean there is something about the college game & development that doesn't translate with his skillset. I can't be specific because I'm just a dumb fan with the knowledge developed from watching games... nearly all on my TV screen.
I get the feeling CDB was mostly an analytics guy with Yankees, but not really a hands-on/mechanics coach. Really need the latter more than the former at the college level.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
You accomplish the bolded sentence by throwing strikes, especially strike 1. We don't do that often enough.
Certainly that helps, yes. But if all you do is throw 1st pitch strikes by just throwing a BP fastball, teams will learn that and you'll start giving up a lot of 1st pitch base hits.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Certainly that helps, yes. But if all you do is throw 1st pitch strikes by just throwing a BP fastball, teams will learn that and you'll start giving up a lot of 1st pitch base hits.

If they are quality strikes, then you will get a lot of ground balls and FO. Thus a lot of outs and most importantly a low pitch count that allows pitching far more innings. Keeps the D looser and more involved.

I'd take 1st pitch contact to 8 pitch walks any day (not that it is black and white like that).

I watched some other baseball yesterday after our game and a few things jumped out to me:

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched some more college baseball, as well. But, unfortunately it was Vandy and that idiotic whistler of theirs can ruin a game just as well on television as he can live 🤢

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I watched some more college baseball, as well. But, unfortunately it was Vandy and that idiotic whistler of theirs can ruin a game just as well on television as he can live 🤢
I ****ing hate that guy. It makes it impossible to watch one of their games.