Crucial DPI on GT call. Video/GIf in post.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Walton is our best DB.
I was watching the game with my ECU friend and he even commented that this call was ridiculous. NCST should’ve been flagged for OPI numerous times and the quinney hold was awful. It seems normal for us to be on the receiving end of terrible officiating. We have to counter by beating the crap out of opponents like Clemson and Bama and not let these change the game.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Walton is our best DB.
I was watching the game with my ECU friend and he even commented that this call was ridiculous. NCST should’ve been flagged for OPI numerous times and the quinney hold was awful. It seems normal for us to be on the receiving end of terrible officiating. We have to counter by beating the crap out of opponents like Clemson and Bama and not let these change the game.
Walton is not the best db- the main thing he does well is he's usually in the area, but he gets picked on constantly because more than likely the receiver makes the catch, even when he's right in their face. Its been that way the last two seasons. But yes NC state had a lot of OPI that was not called.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I've watched ACC football since even before Tech was in the ACC. NC State has always gotten the calls in FB just like Duke/UNC do in BB. Based on history, I don't buy that the refs were simply incompetent.

One of the PI calls was one of the worst I have seen in all my years of watching football.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Walton is not the best db- the main thing he does well is he's usually in the area, but he gets picked on constantly because more than likely the receiver makes the catch, even when he's right in their face. Its been that way the last two seasons. But yes NC state had a lot of OPI that was not called.
Sorry this got derailed with a DB debate. The refs sucked. At least they are consistent in sucking.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This is a TD and the ACC should’ve buzzed down
giphy.gif

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Thought they had one long drive enabled by 3 bad calls. If I recall correctly:
  • Had them in 2nd and 21 on their end. They gained about 20, maybe 20.5. Refs gave them a first down.
  • Our DL jumped, but not into the neutral zone. Their OL flinched. Refs called neutral zone infraction.
  • One of the many pass interference calls.
That was just one drive. I rarely complain, but I thought it was lopsided today. I don't think it was malicious, just bad officiating, and unfortunately we got the short end of the stick. Hard to say if the outcome might have been different. We did enough to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Distinctly remember all three of those. They didn’t even hurry to the line after the 2nd and 21 “conversion” so there was ample time for a review that never came. They way we were stuffing their run game all night that’s not trivial either.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I've watched ACC football since even before Tech was in the ACC. NC State has always gotten the calls in FB just like Duke/UNC do in BB. Based on history, I don't buy that the refs were simply incompetent.

One of the PI calls was one of the worst I have seen in all my years of watching football.

I don't doubt we've had bad calls but in LASt yrs game we got a break.On Graham TD run up middle for 25? yds (a key play in game) ,it sure like Lay got away with holding.I was surprised since most times,we don't catch a break.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The refs weren’t very good on the pass interference calls. Receiver was often creating the contact.
This is what they do. NC State has a big and physical bunch of receivers with the exception of the white guy in the slot who also was the punt return man. They push off while the ball is in the air and then high point the ball. I thought we did a pretty good job on number 88 who is a load to defend but the others took up the slack so to speak. I bet Coach Doeren took one look at Gibbs and Mason on film and thought "Man, if I had those guys, we would be cooking then" NC State's backs did not impress me. They were big and ran pretty hard but there was no second gear to either of them. Gibbs has more gears than a 16 wheeler.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
There is, or at least used to be, a guy on one of the Kentucky basketball boards who used to be a ref. For a lot their games he breaks down the officiating, and he is pretty objective. He reviews significant calls and the time on the clock when it was made. I wish we had someone to do that for the Duke and NC State games.

Funny how the most complaining about refs this year was the only two NC schools we played. Some things in the ACC never change. Where are you B1G?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
This time of the year I just wonder if it has something to do with "bowl" positioning, the conference office has to be feeling the pressure for $ for the conference schools, NCST has a good record, they could get a good paying bowl. Don't know just wonder. I know it has been done before in CFB.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
If anyone was out as I was yesterday afternoon & heard the NC State radio crew on Sirius/XMRadio, they were going out of their minds over all the GT "faked" injuries every time NCST tried to go up-tempo, wanting the refs to call "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalties for faking it. Guess it comes down to a game with one team 7-3 and the other 3-5 just isn't going to get the ACC's A-Team Officiating Crew & everyone's gonna hate 'em.

As one who was living & working 40 miles east of Raleigh when we joined the ACC, there is no love lost by this OldeFarTekker for the NCST wannabes. Any misery felt by NCST, they can own it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There is, or at least used to be, a guy on one of the Kentucky basketball boards who used to be a ref. For a lot their games he breaks down the officiating, and he is pretty objective. He reviews significant calls and the time on the clock when it was made. I wish we had someone to do that for the Duke and NC State games.

Funny how the most complaining about refs this year was the only two NC schools we played. Some things in the ACC never change. Where are you B1G?
The two worst officiated games to me were UCF and NCST and it’s not even close