Critical things the next HC must do

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Unless the guy is a defensive guy, I'd stick with Nate at DC so at least the defense has some continuity.
I agree, let only the offensive side be disrupted. I would keep commits that want to come but, the remaining schollies would go only to offensive and defensive lineman. We do have talent that can be molded on the offensive side of the ball , QB potential, RB potential and Jalen Camp and Malachi Carter are very capable receivers. This only has to be a 1 year transition, if handled correctly.

Jmonty71

Banned
A few things the new HC needs.

1. Retain Nate Woody
2. Hire a damned Special Teams coach!
3. Hire a OC, so he can run the team properly.
4. Recruit...recruit....recruit....

Animal02

Banned
1. Be a good and effective spokesman for the university. That includes a lot of things that Johnson did in terms of not getting into scandals or acting immature. It also includes things l;ike developing relationships with the press and getting them on your side. How you treat the media plays a big part in how it portrays you which leads to how people, specifically recruits, view you.

2. Be flexible in scheme. Even if we transition to a new offense, adapt what you have in mind to what you have while you work to get the pieces you need. FOr instance if you need a TE don't force the issue. See how you can adapt to having a smaller a back at the spot at times to take advantage.

3. Have recruiting as a strength. We have enough issues recruiting as an institution that we can't afford to not have a head coach that can balance that out somewhat.

4. Somewhat optional but it'd be great if we had a guy who actually understood math and in particular calculus to be able to counter the negative recruiting, and stigma our own fans put out. We need to spread the message that the calculus that most people have to take is not that difficult. But that'd be a long shot probably.
LMAO.....tell a kid that any calcus is not difficult when they read a 5th grade level....yeah, that is the ticket...:rolleyes:

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Recruit his *** off relentlessly
2. Establish a sense of leadership within the team. Make the upperclassmen be accountable as leaders. This builds pride and a team driven culture.
3. Be a good rep to the media and engage with them. I know some on here found PJs “middle finger” attitude towards the media endearing, but I hated it. It was my biggest gripe about him. We need those guys. Media loves Mike Leach and when you have success and the media likes you they rep you more. PJs relationship with some media members in town was awful and it definitely hurt our coverage. I know some of you won’t believe that but that’s my opinion of it.

4. Recruit
5. Recruit more
6. Recruit just a little more
7. Now we are recruiting baby!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It really depends again on who it is and where they are coming from.

Someone from the NFL would need to bring a recruiting coordinator that already knows the ropes in recruiting the region. Second priority is assembling the rest of the staff. Then evaluate current players for fits to incoming schemes and concurrently start teaching players our new scheme philosophies and terminologies.

If it is a college coach with a current knowledge base in recruiting the region....first priority is assembling the staff and assigning them areas to recruit. Then eval players for schemes and start teaching them philosophies and terminologies.

Transitions bring their own set of obstacles.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
Brings in a new Strength coach....

Based on what i have seen and what I know, we have a lot of room for improvement and this is an area where the right person/philosophy can help lessen the gaps we have against teams who have recruited better...