Critical things the next HC must do

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Moore prob stays if we get Monken or someone deeply religious... Otherwise, can't see the next coach keeping him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Moore prob stays if we get Monken or someone deeply religious... Otherwise, can't see the next coach keeping him.

Derrick Moore is pretty much a GT institution (no pun intended) by now. He actually predates CPJ. All teams have a Chaplain and that's his role outside of those famous pre-game speeches. Although I think there was an issue in 2014 with some watchdog group wanting him removed because "separation of church and state" BS, other than that, I don't see the next coach trying to remove Moore from the staff. Our players and a lot of fans would revolt.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
Derrick Moore is pretty much a GT institution (no pun intended) by now. He actually predates CPJ. All teams have a Chaplain and that's his role outside of those famous pre-game speeches. Although I think there was an issue in 2014 with some watchdog group wanting him removed because "separation of church and state" BS, other than that, I don't see the next coach trying to remove Moore from the staff. Our players and a lot of fans would revolt.

I'm not a religious person in any way, shape or form but I'd run through a wall for Derrick Moore. Guy is very inspirational.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Assume he is man of integrity.
As a prelude to recruiting.

Hit the road to major alumni meetings / high schools.

Be seen as active, communicator, people person, totally supportive of current football grad rate of 85% with goal of 100%, show he committed to aggressive defense, and SHOW HE LOVES HIS JOB AND THE PLAYERS.

Of course recruit ga and immediate area.

Implement a nationwide (good academic schools in major urban areas ) recruiting effort- year 1 basic electronic/ phonex contacts for hs coaches to SHOW WE ARE INTERESTED YEAR 2 HAVE AST COACHES STAY IN TOUCH WITH KEY HEAD COACHES . SEND RECRUITER TO SEE THE HS OF INTEREST. YEAR 3 - Get focused on high potential areas .

Everything is about Recruiting!
Message if we offer and u come - u will graduate and will have fun as you get a fair shot at playing time
The rest is "it is what it is"

Animal02

Banned
Assume he is man of integrity.
As a prelude to recruiting.

Hit the road to major alumni meetings / high schools.

Be seen as active, communicator, people person, totally supportive of current football grad rate of 85% with goal of 100%, show he committed to aggressive defense, and SHOW HE LOVES HIS JOB AND THE PLAYERS.

Of course recruit ga and immediate area.

Implement a nationwide (good academic schools in major urban areas ) recruiting effort- year 1 basic electronic/ phonex contacts for hs coaches to SHOW WE ARE INTERESTED YEAR 2 HAVE AST COACHES STAY IN TOUCH WITH KEY HEAD COACHES . SEND RECRUITER TO SEE THE HS OF INTEREST. YEAR 3 - Get focused on high potential areas .

Everything is about Recruiting!
Message if we offer and u come - u will graduate and will have fun as you get a fair shot at playing time
The rest is "it is what it is"
More than just the "urban centers". Need to blanket the h.s football zones ....Cleveland to Pittsburgh corridor. DC to NYC,. Cincy to Chicago. All of Texas South Fla. Southern Cal. etc.

Emphasize the 2% aspect of making the NFL and compare Tech grads to the parks and recs grads from other schools.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Push for an even larger amount of recruiting resources so we can make a bigger dent in the recruiting hot beds (FL, TX, OH, etc.) while also focusing more on in-state schools, especially developing relationships in ATL and mid/south GA. An example of the latter--the high school I went to has had only 1 losing season since 1965 and perennially is in the state play-offs. A family member who is a coach there says that they have very little contact with anyone from GT but hear from u(sic), Auburn, Alabama, etc. and even MTSU an other similar schools quite often.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
1. Be a good and effective spokesman for the university. That includes a lot of things that Johnson did in terms of not getting into scandals or acting immature. It also includes things l;ike developing relationships with the press and getting them on your side. How you treat the media plays a big part in how it portrays you which leads to how people, specifically recruits, view you.

2. Be flexible in scheme. Even if we transition to a new offense, adapt what you have in mind to what you have while you work to get the pieces you need. FOr instance if you need a TE don't force the issue. See how you can adapt to having a smaller a back at the spot at times to take advantage.

3. Have recruiting as a strength. We have enough issues recruiting as an institution that we can't afford to not have a head coach that can balance that out somewhat.

4. Somewhat optional but it'd be great if we had a guy who actually understood math and in particular calculus to be able to counter the negative recruiting, and stigma our own fans put out. We need to spread the message that the calculus that most people have to take is not that difficult. But that'd be a long shot probably.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Push for an even larger amount of recruiting resources so we can make a bigger dent in the recruiting hot beds (FL, TX, OH, etc.) while also focusing more on in-state schools, especially developing relationships in ATL and mid/south GA. An example of the latter--the high school I went to has had only 1 losing season since 1965 and perennially is in the state play-offs. A family member who is a coach there says that they have very little contact with anyone from GT but hear from u(sic), Auburn, Alabama, etc. and even MTSU an other similar schools quite often.

Absolutely. I hope whoever we hire makes contingent on his acceptance of the job a large increase in the recruiting budget.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
3-Cool-Runnings-quotes.jpg