Credit to MBob

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I believe this is a good solid hire with much upside. If CoachP does what he says he will do in the press conference, GT basketball is on the upswing.

Otoh, if every coach did what they said in the initial press conference, there would never be any bad hires and every school would win a national championship in every sport each and every year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Surely you're not that naive.
The question is not whether I am naive or not. I was simply offering a quote from the only person who would actually know how the process went. In lieu of having actual proof to the contrary that it went the way MBob said it did you can simply choose to disbelieve him, which is fine.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
If you have a job opening that nobody wants to fill........................................

"...he did a poor job selling our program..."

You got nothing to sell. The GT basketball program is a national joke. That's why no one wanted the job.

Maybe nobody wants to work for Bobinski. Not thrilled with the hire but will give him a chance. I still think Bobinski has no clue how to run an athletic department.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The question is not whether I am naive or not. I was simply offering a quote from the only person who would actually know how the process went. In lieu of having actual proof to the contrary that it went the way MBob said it did you can simply choose to disbelieve him, which is fine.

Ya...if it looks like bull****, smells like bull****....ill just go ahead and call it bull****. I don't actually need to see it falling out of the bull's ***. Mbob is full of it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ya...if it looks like bull****, smells like bull****....ill just go ahead and call it bull****. I don't actually need to see it falling out of the bull's ***. Mbob is full of it.

Fwiw, when someone says that they were offering a quote in a previous post that began, "MBob implied ...," chances are that the person they say that they were quoting is not where the smell is coming from.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

It's ok. Some people, when they get caught confusing inferring with quoting while trying to correct others thru sarcasm, lash out.

Of course, maturity. or self-respecting manhood, limits this impulse in most grown-ups. Unfortunately, appeal to facts are meaningless to the egoist.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I personally think CJP will fit in better with the GT student body and in turn with the student athlete at GT.

People ignore fit. A criticism is he's too nice and players walk all over him. Should be less an issue at GT which is why Calipari thinks it's a good fit. Plus if Bobinski makes sure there is an a bad cop on staff tgis can be further mitigated.

This may also be the source of the in-game coaching criticism...do the kids listen?

We needed a recruiter badly and we got one. I can see this working and it depends how the coach evolves. He is young/a prodigy and not necessarily a finished product.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
As a general question for all, is there any evidence that Bobinski helped CBG or coaches at Dayton with assistant coaches?

I don't know this answer -- but I do know an issue with CJP at Memphis is he hired friends and family as assistant coaches. At one point I think it was 5 former players from Arizona.

So this could be as simple as mbob recognizing the importance of building a staff and making this a point of emphasis in the hiring process (which fits with the theme of this thread "credit to mbob").

/

Techster

Helluva Engineer
People ignore fit. A criticism is he's too nice and players walk all over him. Should be less an issue at GT which is why Calipari thinks it's a good fit. Plus if Bobinski makes sure there is an a bad cop on staff tgis can be further mitigated.

This may also be the source of the in-game coaching criticism...do the kids listen?

We needed a recruiter badly and we got one. I can see this working and it depends how the coach evolves. He is young/a prodigy and not necessarily a finished product.

I read an article that one of the recruiting issues Pastner had at Memphis was that he couldn't sell academics at Memphis and his pool of kids were limited to guys who weren't necessarily bad kids, they just grew up in a different environment than what he believed in. Let's face it, the GTs/Dukes/Stanfords of the basketball world recruit a different kind of kid. You're talking about a coach who doesn't cuss, drink, or smoke trying to relate to guys who have no problem questioning his authority in front of the team and talking back versus a player like Marcus Georges Hunt who is probably the model NCAA athlete. Guys like MGH don't go to Memphis, just like a certain subset of recruits don't go to GT.

Part of why his teams looked bad at times...some of his guys may have had different agendas. You get guys who buy into TEAM, and not the AAU let's show the scouts NBA skills type, and the overall team product is better.

Now that he's at GT, let's see the type of kids he can pull in when he can sell academics....because he has to sell it given the rigor of the school.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I read an article that one of the recruiting issues Pastner had at Memphis was that he couldn't sell academics at Memphis and his pool of kids were limited to guys who weren't necessarily bad kids, they just grew up in a different environment than what he believed in. Let's face it, the GTs/Dukes/Stanfords of the basketball world recruit a different kind of kid. You're talking about a coach who doesn't cuss, drink, or smoke trying to relate to guys who have no problem questioning his authority in front of the team and talking back versus a player like Marcus Georges Hunt who is probably the model NCAA athlete. Guys like MGH don't go to Memphis, just like a certain subset of recruits don't go to GT.

Part of why his teams looked bad at times...some of his guys may have had different agendas. You get guys who buy into TEAM, and not the AAU let's show the scouts NBA skills type, and the overall team product is better.

Now that he's at GT, let's see the type of kids he can pull in when he can sell academics....because he has to sell it given the rigor of the school.

Dadgum it, @Techster. You're making me question my thinking on so many things because I keep finding myself agreeing with you recently. I'm only saying this so that you can now question yourself for the same reason. (y)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's ok. Some people, when they get caught confusing inferring with quoting while trying to correct others thru sarcasm, lash out.

Of course, maturity. or self-respecting manhood, limits this impulse in most grown-ups. Unfortunately, appeal to facts are meaningless to the egoist.
Lol.

You are trying too hard.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
If you watch the press conference again, you can see MBob correcting himself. There is no doubt Drew was first choice, but MBob goes on to list a few other characteristics he realized were needed in a coach during this process. This was a slight at Drew as well.

Basically, he was saying, we thought we needed a coach with all the good qualities that CBG had and had found it in a few candidates. But, during the process he also realized that the coach also needed to have the b***s to coach in the ACC and would be willing to work hard and not take the easy way out (Vandy). That is when his attention moved towards Pastner. No doubt Drew was first choice, but he chickened out.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If you watch the press conference again, you can see MBob correcting himself. There is no doubt Drew was first choice, but MBob goes on to list a few other characteristics he realized were needed in a coach during this process. This was a slight at Drew as well.

Basically, he was saying, we thought we needed a coach with all the good qualities that CBG had and had found it in a few candidates. But, during the process he also realized that the coach also needed to have the b***s to coach in the ACC and would be willing to work hard and not take the easy way out (Vandy). That is when his attention moved towards Pastner. No doubt Drew was first choice, but he chickened out.
Right. It was nuanced and left room for interpretation but the main takeaway for me was that Pastner was involved early in the process rather than the afterthought some have suggested.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

Completely agree. And I had the impression that Pastner called MBob first, but I will not bet the mortgage on it. And the "guts" factor loomed big as the search matured.

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
If it's a favorable contract that doesn't potentially put us in the hurt locker again I'm willing to let him try his hand in the GA recruiting circles.

He will either plant his flag or produce more of the same.

He's a Chris Carter hitter. 450' bombs or a golden sombrero.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 63

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow

In case you didn't notice, most want to think they are 'insiders' or 'in the know' or some other descriptive term implying that they know chit about chit. In reality, nobody on here knows chit about chit about the actual hiring process except Bobinski, and why the hell would he divulge the road that he took to get the Coach. The bottom line regarding this entire process will be measured in W-L record and post season appearances and success.