Credit for the Win today

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
That fire Geoff Collins thread is a who’s who of “where the F did they come from”. Those that just love to hate. Ah. HATERS.

We are going to have Geoff Collins until the end of next year no matter what, so those folks need to crawl back into the hole they came out of and STFU. They seemed to be trolling the chat as well.

We aren’t as talented in the trenches as some think to believe we are. Yes we have gotten some decent transfers but we are still generally young there. We have decent DL recruits but again it’s going to take 2-3 years for them to mature.
That thread was venting and not many posts talked about firing him. We all know we will have him at least thru next season. But to suggest paying customers can’t criticize is a bit ridiculous. I’m pulling for him but his own decisions have gotten him to where he is. So you can use terms like haters if you want to relate to teenage girls but this is big time/big money sports. Listen, all of us are rooting for him to succeed because his success is our success. But it‘s definitely not unconditional love.

And if you close your eyes we can all see that in 3 years from now we’ll still be wearing GT gear and rooting for GT. Collins will probably be a position coach at a South Carolina/Tennessee type program because he knows how to interview. I’d love for him to still be here and take the next step as a coach. I just don’t see it in his DNA.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Exactly. Why has Collins not learned from the likes of Saban & O’Leary on how to respond after expected wins?
Well one of the things I respect about Collins is he’s not trying to be something he isn’t.

If he can just find a way to continue to exploit his strengths and minimize his weaknesses, he may well survive and prosper. Takes a lot of humility and self-awareness though.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Through 2 games, I can say I honestly think we can play competitive against anyone but Clemson and you know who. But our margin for error is small enough that we can also look bad against most anyone. I have some optimism

We are still young but talented. We will have more WTF games where the trolls come back out ready to fire everyone again. We will have great games too (like Miami last year).

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We are still young but talented. We will have more WTF games where the trolls come back out ready to fire everyone again. We will have great games too (like Miami last year).
There are tiers in college football. You have the top tier- Bama, UGA, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State. Then you have the next tier of good teams with good recruiting and solid coaching. Those change year to year but are usually teams like Wisconsin, Penn State, Auburn, Florida, TCU types. Then everybody else where anyone can beat anyone depending on the day.

I’ve stated many times we will win some games this year, next year, and beyond, Collins is recruiting very good players so we’ll be right in the pack athlete wise. Then if we get 3-4 turnovers like yesterday or like we did a few games last year we’ll win. We’ll also, like last week and last year, turn it over ourselves and get beat.

What we haven’t shown in Johnson’s last few years and Collins first 2 is that we can play a solid game against a team in one of the top 2 tiers. What we’ve shown under Collins is that we get boat raced in those games. This game Saturday is a mental game for GT. Can we finally not completely fall apart against a team clearly better than us? To me, this test on Saturday is a huge litmus test for Collins. Clemson is no where near the offensive team they have been. I expect them to get back to being explosive by the end of this season so we are getting them at a time they are still trying to recover from losing all those weapons to the draft. We have a shot to “get our mind right” even in a loss but we can’t look inept.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That thread was venting and not many posts talked about firing him. We all know we will have him at least thru next season. But to suggest paying customers can’t criticize is a bit ridiculous. I’m pulling for him but his own decisions have gotten him to where he is. So you can use terms like haters if you want to relate to teenage girls but this is big time/big money sports. Listen, all of us are rooting for him to succeed because his success is our success. But it‘s definitely not unconditional love.

And if you close your eyes we can all see that in 3 years from now we’ll still be wearing GT gear and rooting for GT. Collins will probably be a position coach at a South Carolina/Tennessee type program because he knows how to interview. I’d love for him to still be here and take the next step as a coach. I just don’t see it in his DNA.
I absolutely affirm that 99.9% of Collins critics would love to see him turn this around and that we are Tech supporters till the end. It’s just frustrating to listen to a steady stream of how great you are doing as a coach and how great the team is doing when Tech is probably at its lowest point in its history. It’s not the won/loss record that is so bad; it’s losing to some of the biggest cream puffs since Tech played Cumberland as well as having some of our biggest blowout losses in our history.

All of that is hard enough but don’t tell me after all that that the program is stronger now than it has been in years.

There, I vented one more time. Now beat Clemson!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
QFT.

I remain highly skeptical of our head coach especially after last week's post game comments, following an unacceptable performance. It will take FAR more than a win over an FCS school for me to even begin to forgive Collins for that.
I understand your emotions. It's hard to forgive. Hopefully, as we grow through life, we become better at it and don't let it fester as a cancer that will destroy our lives.

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is what a "player's coach" would have said in postgame presser following NIU loss.....
" First let me congratulate NIU players and coaches. This must be a seminal victory for their program, one which they will never forget. Next I want to apologize to the GT nation. This loss is 100% on me and on my coaching staff. We have great players. Great young men, working their asses off everyday. It is up to coaches to put them in the best situation to succeed and, frankly, we failed the boys. I ask that our fans as well as our players stay with us. It is my responsibility and I promise to get better. I promise our coaches will get better. Go Jackets."
Then walk out....

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We aren’t as talented in the trenches as some think to believe we are. Yes we have gotten some decent transfers but we are still generally young there. We have decent DL recruits but again it’s going to take 2-3 years for them to mature.
Are you talking about the OL or the DL ? The OL has 3 seniors 1 junior and a freshman that started last year .

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Here is what a "player's coach" would have said in postgame presser following NIU loss.....
" First let me congratulate NIU players and coaches. This must be a seminal victory for their program, one which they will never forget. Next I want to apologize to the GT nation. This loss is 100% on me and on my coaching staff. We have great players. Great young men, working their asses off everyday. It is up to coaches to put them in the best situation to succeed and, frankly, we failed the boys. I ask that our fans as well as our players stay with us. It is my responsibility and I promise to get better. I promise our coaches will get better. Go Jackets."
Then walk out....
That would be nice but that will not happen with CGC

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Are you talking about the OL or the DL ? The OL has 3 seniors 1 junior and a freshman that started last year .

There are 4 transfers in the two deep on our OL. Three of them are seniors. They may be older guys but they are still new to GT. OLs work best when you have a group of guys who have gotten used to working together. We're still using transfers to plug depth holes and keep class separation while we develop our young guys.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
so you say, but after the embarrassment that the 65 page thread that was allowed here for some reason was, I don't believe you.

there were folks in that thread actively rooting for us to lose to KSU so that Collins would get fired, and Bohannon or Monken could get hired.

Collins may or may not last here, I don't know. But that thread was a Sh$@show, and you know it.

I absolutely affirm that 99.9% of Collins critics would love to see him turn this around and that we are Tech supporters till the end. It’s just frustrating to listen to a steady stream of how great you are doing as a coach and how great the team is doing when Tech is probably at its lowest point in its history. It’s not the won/loss record that is so bad; it’s losing to some of the biggest cream puffs since Tech played Cumberland as well as having some of our biggest blowout losses in our history.

All of that is hard enough but don’t tell me after all that that the program is stronger now than it has been in years.

There, I vented one more time. Now beat Clemson!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
so you say, but after the embarrassment that the 65 page thread that was allowed here for some reason was, I don't believe you.

there were folks in that thread actively rooting for us to lose to KSU so that Collins would get fired, and Bohannon or Monken could get hired.

Collins may or may not last here, I don't know. But that thread was a Sh$@show, and you know it.

So leave it there and don't drag it into this thread?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Can you eat elephant?
Rumor is that if you feed it on the screen and then you grill it properly it tastes like chicken...
Takes a long time for one person to eat a whole elephant though!

Edit... I obviously didn't read through the whole thread before posting my comments about chicken... 😊

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Let it die a natural death, assuming that we don't have any more stinker losses this season they would cause anybody to add to that thread.