Create some plays for offense

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Now compare that Counter Criss Cross from the wing-t to an A-Back counter that we run:

I think you'll see that the criss cross would require a first motion that we don't use (a direct hand-off to an A-back) or an early pitch that we don't use because A-back is typically in motion pre snap.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Here is my play which is specifically designed for Virginia Tech (and it's a guaranteed touchdown):

Normal a-back motion. HARD COUNT. No snap. The a-back however continues to run to the outside.

Then run a bubble screen (quick pass) with the A-back and the wide receiver. We have a two-on-one against their cornerback.

/

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'm not an X's and O's guy but I hope we get to the point where I think CPJ is trying to get us to.

The past 2 years and this year's class show CPJ is recruiting a different type of AB that seems to be more of a Slot WR type with good hands. I'd love to see more passes to a-backs in the 1-6 yard range.

A play that has our base formation and the pitch AB start his motion then be the only person to run counter. JET pulls from the mesh and throws to the backshoulder of the AB who catches it and runs around the WR blocking the CB.

In my mind the Safety has to make the tackle but if he misses that's a big gain.

Again I'm not an X's and O's guy so be nice.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
No, that's a QB counter-trey, with G and T pulling. Backside guard is logging the playside end, and the QB is aiming outside.

My QB counter has one pulling player - guard- and the QB aiming to keep it inside. A quicker-hitting thing for MLBs and DTs who are biting too hard on the motion.
Ok so I was looking through the 95 Hawaii play book today and look what I came across, below. So the play is out there. I don't think I've seen CPJ use it.
upload_2016-5-8_18-41-15.png

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Is there a play action pass play that's feasible from counter trap action? I don't seem to remember seeing one in any offense. I have no idea how you would set up the protection though.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Is there a play action pass play that's feasible from counter trap action? I don't seem to remember seeing one in any offense. I have no idea how you would set up the protection though.

I think some of our roll outs already use a pulling back side guard and the bback blocking the trail, pretty similar.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I think some of our roll outs already use a pulling back side guard and the bback blocking the trail, pretty similar.
It is similar but I was wondering about play action with the back side guard and tackle pulling. I think I was not very specific in my terminology.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
If the safeties are selling out as frequently as last year, then a repeat of 3rd quarter vs. Kansas in 2011 would be welcomed.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
Use a formation with 4 receivers, pistol formation and b back stays in to block. Opponents defense would have no clue what to do

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Think we should run some out of the pistol this year, especially if our O line woes continue

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Start in our normal formation, motion to a run and shoot formation(since our passing game is based off of the RS). The D would probably call a time out. We could run some pass plays out of as well as have one the split out a-backs come back in motion to run the TO out of shotgun.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
1. Rocket toss, except the QB sprints to flank the AB with inside pitch relationship, creating a double option.

2. QB lines up under center then walks toward sideline as if to get play from coach or call timeout, then direct shotgun snap to BB to throw screen pass to QB.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Some kind of pass play run on the TO with the QB stepping back instead of pitching and lobbing it over the heads of the defenders.

Shawn Jones did something like this vs Clemson years ago at Death Valley in a big GT upset.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Here is my play which is specifically designed for Virginia Tech (and it's a guaranteed touchdown):

Normal a-back motion. HARD COUNT. No snap. The a-back however continues to run to the outside.

Then run a bubble screen (quick pass) with the A-back and the wide receiver. We have a two-on-one against their cornerback.

/

Get out my of head. My only difference is to be a double swing with BBack flaring to the weak side

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Do we give away pass plays too quicky? After attending last 3 years as a season ticket holder, I just have not observed any sort of play action or run/pass option that starts out as if an option. Does our blocking scheme change at the beginning of the play so much that it gives away our pass plays? It just seems that so many times the last couple of years, the defense was in the backfield before the play got started and no time for the receivers to get open. With Abacks that were former QBs, why not run pass options from them? I am concerned that PJ just is not evolving his offense and is stagnating. If you are not innovating these days, you are not just standing still, you are moving backward. I really want PJ to be successful but maybe his past success is his own worst enemy. Some think he is too stubborn, but I think it is more of his past success makes him think he just needs to work the system harder. Lots of successful businesses have made that mistake and are now insignificant while others have passed them by.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Do we give away pass plays too quicky? After attending last 3 years as a season ticket holder, I just have not observed any sort of play action or run/pass option that starts out as if an option. Does our blocking scheme change at the beginning of the play so much that it gives away our pass plays? It just seems that so many times the last couple of years, the defense was in the backfield before the play got started and no time for the receivers to get open. With Abacks that were former QBs, why not run pass options from them? I am concerned that PJ just is not evolving his offense and is stagnating. If you are not innovating these days, you are not just standing still, you are moving backward. I really want PJ to be successful but maybe his past success is his own worst enemy. Some think he is too stubborn, but I think it is more of his past success makes him think he just needs to work the system harder. Lots of successful businesses have made that mistake and are now insignificant while others have passed them by.

Two things:
1) we do have plays for AB or WR to throw a pass
2) There is a necessary difference in blocking as a consequence of illegal receiver downfield rule. Our OL cannot get to the next level as some do on most option plays.

We had one of the most efficient scoring offenses in the country just two years ago. I think last year's struggles rest more on poor play than a lack of innovation on O.