CPJ

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Where's the hard proof that recruiting has gotten better? Don't tell me that we are 17th in the rankings because that won't stand. Didn't say that the option makes your defense worse. Said CPJ himself has never had a good defense. Ask any Georgia Southern fan and they will back that up.

Georgia Southern's defense in 1999 was really good. PJ spent most of his time in spring practice with it that year. The 2000 defense wasn't bad either. The 1997 defense was solid.
1998 ... well, it's a good thing GSU outscored people that year.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Here is an article with quotes from Lou Holtz and Gerry Dinardo. Both won National Championships with the option and both abandoned it in the early 90's. Check out their quotes as to why they quit running it. Pretty straight forward.
http://www.onefootdown.com/2012/8/28/3270651/where-have-all-the-option-teams-gone

Well if you're trying to say you can't win with the option I'm not sure those quotes actually back you up at all. Seems like the coaches agree that you can do just that.

Animal02

Banned
Well if you're trying to say you can't win with the option I'm not sure those quotes actually back you up at all. Seems like the coaches agree that you can do just that.
Then there is the question is the goal to win, or please the alumni with a star quarterback getting ready for the NFL and "be exciting"

IMO, I would rather win.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
The defense I have no idea why we're so subpar.
It maybe that going against this offense does hurt some? Recruiting yes? This year in particular will be a challenge due to depth.

Going against this offense still doesn't explain why our guys can't wrap up and make tackles. The defense lacks discipline when it comes to the fundamentals. With GSU, we got lazy on both sides of the ball.

I also think some blame goes to Roof for the play calling. Absolutely no pressure on their QB and that's not good. I would love to see us start blitzing at VT.

Animal02

Banned
Going against this offense still doesn't explain why our guys can't wrap up and make tackles. The defense lacks discipline when it comes to the fundamentals. With GSU, we got lazy on both sides of the ball.

I also think some blame goes to Roof for the play calling. Absolutely no pressure on their QB and that's not good. I would love to see us start blitzing at VT.

I was describing the GS game to a business partner (we played for Woody Hayes a long time ago), after telling him about the 2nd half melt down, the first thing he asked was "Are they a young team?" I think that needs to be kept in perspective.....we are a young team, and there will be growing pains......and some of them will be ugly.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Nope, said teams went away from the option because of recruiting. Was asked for hard evidence, and provided an article with quotes from 2 coaches who used to run the option and dropped it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Sometimes you do everything right and the opposition still makes a play. This scenario happened against GSU as well. Some of those throws couldn't have been drawn any better with a telestrator and our db's were step for step with the wr's. Yes, we took some bad angles on runs, but ball carriers with blazing speed has a lot to do with guys taking bad angles. I'm certainly not suggesting we didn't make our share of unforced errors, we sure did, but credit should be given to the Eagles when they made big time plays.

What I took from the quotes was, yes you can win with the option attack, but the coaches end up getting alumni and booster pressure because they aren't signing star players. That does not pass the smell test. If you were winning, and sometimes winning big, the criticism would eventually be silenced. Conclusion for me was the same as many other posters---we are losing EVERY meaningful game not because we are an option team, but because of our recruiting. And at Tech, with all our inherent recruiting challenges because of academics, the addition of one more obstacle is not something that can be overcome. The difference between us and FSU or Georgia is seven or eight recruits a year, fairly big. But the difference between us and Virginia Tech or Pittsburgh might be 3 or four recruits a year. Not huge, but extrapolated over several years, it just makes it tougher to win 9 games rather than six or seven games.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Nuke said - " I thought CPJ's fate was tied up in generating enthusiasm". Nuke if that's the case I would say CPJ has accomplished that from time to time, he's just had trouble sustaining it and I think that's too big of a burden to lay it all on the coach, he need's the rest of us (students, fans, season ticket holders, Administration, GTAA PR, Russell Athletics) to kick in.

I believe enthusiasm is a 'state of mind' and a 'choice', each individual fan has to make up his/her mind if they are going to have it or not. I look at Georgia Tech football as a complete experience win or lose. I love going on the campus, hearing the pregame band concert, eating at the Varsity, going to the bookstore and just watching the guys play football. I indulge in reading the rich history of Georgia Tech football. Don't get wrong I want them to win, I want them to dominate, I want them to be on everyone's mind and be the topic of conversation. But, I refuse to extrapolate pessimism on the whole season based on a loss. We are 3-0 enjoy it and those who want to wisecrack and be cynical and comeback "well wait till next week when we're 3-1" can go eat a big booger, because the way I think is 3-1 is better than 1-3.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Sometimes you do everything right and the opposition still makes a play. This scenario happened against GSU as well. Some of those throws couldn't have been drawn any better with a telestrator and our db's were step for step with the wr's. Yes, we took some bad angles on runs, but ball carriers with blazing speed has a lot to do with guys taking bad angles. I'm certainly not suggesting we didn't make our share of unforced errors, we sure did, but credit should be given to the Eagles when they made big time plays.
Sure, they were good passes, but if we'd sent a heavier pass rush that QB may not have had time to make those deep throws... at least not with the same accuracy as if he had all day.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I was describing the GS game to a business partner (we played for Woody Hayes a long time ago), after telling him about the 2nd half melt down, the first thing he asked was "Are they a young team?" I think that needs to be kept in perspective.....we are a young team, and there will be growing pains......and some of them will be ugly.

I agree. Need to have perspective. However, the onus is still on Roof to try to get a decent pass rush going when we need one.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
What I took from the quotes was, yes you can win with the option attack, but the coaches end up getting alumni and booster pressure because they aren't signing star players. That does not pass the smell test. If you were winning, and sometimes winning big, the criticism would eventually be silenced. Conclusion for me was the same as many other posters---we are losing EVERY meaningful game not because we are an option team, but because of our recruiting. And at Tech, with all our inherent recruiting challenges because of academics, the addition of one more obstacle is not something that can be overcome. The difference between us and FSU or Georgia is seven or eight recruits a year, fairly big. But the difference between us and Virginia Tech or Pittsburgh might be 3 or four recruits a year. Not huge, but extrapolated over several years, it just makes it tougher to win 9 games rather than six or seven games.
well then you'll be happy to know we had a great recruiting year!

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
^Nail, hammer, head. I remember when Dodd graduated about 25 seniors off his great 1956-57 team, but had enjoyed great recruiting. Nevertheless, the sophs (freshmen were not eligible to play) of the 1957-58 team showed the youth that generally cancelled their talent.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
the do we just want to be a factory?

Honestly??? Yes! If we play marbles, I want to be the best. I am tired of excuses. I am a big CPJ fan, and will still be in the end. However, I have seen the talent level begin to slip. I denied it for a few years, even when others said it had. It is what it is.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I haven't bee a "big" fan of CPJ from the start, though winning would cure that pretty quickly.
My biggest problem with our offense is lack of diversity, we need to make defenses defend the entire field not just the LOS.
I also wish we would employ a Tight End, IMO that would help with the 3rd and 8's, especially like we saw with GSU when they are leaving the middle of the field wide open.

Honestly??? Yes! If we play marbles, I want to be the best. I am tired of excuses. I am a big CPJ fan, and will still be in the end. However, I have seen the talent level begin to slip. I denied it for a few years, even when others said it had. It is what it is.

Oh, pshaw. Competing with our fellow institutions of high learning on the athletic fields is a rich component of college life and strengthens our participants' moral fabric and diverse tapestry of the learning experience--win or lose.