CPJ Talks Duke after practice today...Worth a listen

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm just throwing this out there because there was some talk of it as a possibility: Is Vad Lee transferring down to JMU an orchestrated "road home" to Duke?

I know Cutcliffe and Vad were pretty close and probably still talk and Cutcliffe offered him out of high school. Cut had some pretty high words for Vad even while he was at GT...it's also no secret he's starting to favor dual threat QBs.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Nothing like a little trash talk to set us off. PJ didn't hold back. I can only imagine what he is telling the team.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I'm just throwing this out there because there was some talk of it as a possibility: Is Vad Lee transferring down to JMU an orchestrated "road home" to Duke?

I know Cutcliffe and Vad were pretty close and probably still talk and Cutcliffe offered him out of high school. Cut had some pretty high words for Vad even while he was at GT...it's also no secret he's starting to favor dual threat QBs.
He would have to sit out a year and would be a cheerleader for Duke, save a waiver. I don't think "I love Cutcliffe" is a bona fide reason to get one. 1AA to 1A is a regular transfer. And he is a redshirt junior.
Does JMU not have a public policy masters?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He would have to sit out a year and would be a cheerleader for Duke, save a waiver. I don't think "I love Cutcliffe" is a bona fide reason to get one. 1AA to 1A is a regular transfer. And he is a redshirt junior.

I believe he'd be able to transfer up without losing eligibility.

It's not "I love Cutcliffe"...it's Duke is home and Cutcliffe has a track record of sending QBs to the NFL. Say what you want about Cut (and lately it's well deserved), but he's got really nice track record of QBs going to the league and sticking around for more than just a season.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
No I meant for vad. He needs a reason.
I was under the impression that Wilson could play right away because NC State declined to give him a scholarship the next year. Vad has already used his transfer exemption, so my understanding is he either needs his scholarship to JMU to not be renewed or have a family hardship to play right away. He could transfer but I believe he has to sit a year. He has already redshirted and you get 5 to play 4. Time is up.

Cutcliffe is a pretty good coach but he is an idiot. He will burn out like Grobe. Duke doesn't have the facilities or backbone to become a football power. With his sissy scheduling they may win 6 or 7 a year though.
People bust on PJ because he has only beaten UGA once. Well they should hate Cutcliffe. He can't even beat the coach and team that is 1-5 against the dwags.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

If he accrues enough credits to graduate from JMU I think he could go to Duke and play immediately. There might be some more details than that but he could make it work.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

It's not "I love Cutcliffe"...it's Duke is home and Cutcliffe has a track record of sending QBs to the NFL. Say what you want about Cut (and lately it's well deserved), but he's got really nice track record of QBs going to the league and sticking around for more than just a season.

It works the other way. Going down is no wait as it is this year for Vad. Going up in class is a one year wait. As for Cutcliffe "putting guys in the NFL", common sense must be suspended to accept this theorem. I think it is obvious that Peyton and Eli Manning were going to the league with or without assistance from Cutcliff. Maybe Sean Renfree would've made it as well. Did Cutcliffe help them along the way? Yes, I believe so.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I was under the impression that Wilson could play right away because NC State declined to give him a scholarship the next year. Vad has already used his transfer exemption, so my understanding is he either needs his scholarship to JMU to not be renewed or have a family hardship to play right away. He could transfer but I believe he has to sit a year. He has already redshirted and you get 5 to play 4. Time is up.

Cutcliffe is a pretty good coach but he is an idiot. He will burn out like Grobe. Duke doesn't have the facilities or backbone to become a football power. With his sissy scheduling they may win 6 or 7 a year though.
People bust on PJ because he has only beaten UGA once. Well they should hate Cutcliffe. He can't even beat the coach and team that is 1-5 against the dwags.
I seem to remember that he got an unrestricted release from Tech. We do that a lot...

He could have gone straight to dook, but did not. His reason for going to FCS instead of FBS is that he already sat out one year and he didn't want to sit out again as required if he went to an FBS school.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer

Duke officially approves improvements to Wallace Wade Stadium, but will fans come? http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/24/4179339/duke-officially-approves-improvements.html

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke officially approves improvements to Wallace Wade Stadium, but will fans come? http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/24/4179339/duke-officially-approves-improvements.html
Construction on the tower will likely start in January, and the goal will be for it to be ready for the start of the 2016 season.
It won't be ready for the 2016 season.

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Duke is studying WiFi connectively enhancements and plans to enhance concession offerings.
Connectively??? That cum laude in English from Duke really paid off...

Last edited:

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow

I believe he would have to sit out if he went to Duke for the 2015 season. Any transfer from ACC to ACC is 2 years, regardless of the road you take and regardless of the release condition. This is a conference rule. I know the NCAA has a hardship waiver you can petition against under certain circumstances, and I think the ACC does also. Didn't we get our BB center from Maryland without a loss of eligibility through family medical hardship?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I believe he would have to sit out if he went to Duke for the 2015 season. Any transfer from ACC to ACC is 2 years, regardless of the road you take and regardless of the release condition. This is a conference rule. I know the NCAA has a hardship waiver you can petition against under certain circumstances, and I think the ACC does also. Didn't we get our BB center from Maryland without a loss of eligibility through family medical hardship?
it was after July 1. Maryland was no longer in the ACC.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, people like it when we're winning. When we lose, it rubs fans the wrong way.

I do like CPJ but I wish he wouldn't act like such a jerk during interviews like this. Man, in this interview his demeanor looks like we are 0-5 instead of 5-0.
Like I have said many times. Have you ever heard Nick Saban or Bellichek give interviews? Winning or losing, they make CPJ sound like an angel.