CPJ really coached a bad game

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Also, where was the discipline from all of these returning guys. We have a ton of seniors and experience with 9 penalties and 3 turnovers. Many fumbles too!!!

That falls on his shoulders...

Oh we need to fire CDW

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I agree, this one falls on Coach Johnson. I am very disappointed, this was a national game and we come out and lay an egg. Not only that but we NEVER ran out of the diamond and only used the gun when we were behind. We re-inforced the "high school" offense stereotype and looked horrible.

Our Oline looked confused, Vad looked inept running the offense and you have a coach that continually made calls that the entire stadium knew weren't going to work

Really disappointed in Coach.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Defense did great but CPJ did terrible in every area of game. Just my opinion. Who is CDW and CMS.
CDW is Dave Walkolksy (spelling?) who is the ST Coordiantor, not really sure what PowderSpringsJacket88 was talking about. Other than one punt which had a bad bounce and a bad return game, which you can blame on Golden's absence, I thought ST looked pretty good. Butker hit a 49 yder, and Poole looks much improved from last year. I'm fairly sure CMS is Mike Sewak, the O-line coach, and I think you can figure out why on your own.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I agree, this one falls on Coach Johnson. I am very disappointed, this was a national game and we come out and lay an egg. Not only that but we NEVER ran out of the diamond and only used the gun when we were behind. We re-inforced the "high school" offense stereotype and looked horrible.

Our Oline looked confused, Vad looked inept running the offense and you have a coach that continually made calls that the entire stadium knew weren't going to work

Really disappointed in Coach.

I completely agree with every sentence in your post.

This was EMBARRASSING. Watching our offense last night was likened to sitting and watching someone run their nails across a chalk board for a solid 60 minutes.

We never once used the diamond formation. NOT ONCE. Its not the solution to our offensive lack of focus and penalties but the Flexbone was not working last night at all.

I love Vad. I think he is an amazing athlete that can make a huge impact for us. However, last night was a pathetic performance on his part.

To cap all this off, every GT faithful that came out to support the 100 year anniversary last night had their love for GT Football History completed crapped on.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
CDW is Dave Walkolksy (spelling?) who is the ST Coordiantor, not really sure what PowderSpringsJacket88 was talking about. Other than one punt which had a bad bounce and a bad return game, which you can blame on Golden's absence, I thought ST looked pretty good. Butker hit a 49 yder, and Poole looks much improved from last year. I'm fairly sure CMS is Mike Sewak, the O-line coach, and I think you can figure out why on your own.
You can't blame ST's on the players last night and the UNC game. We can't cover worth a crap and it gave them excellent field position all night. Our KR and PR was awful. Sure, Golden would improve things if he was back but we sucked last week when he was out there.

No one was blocking for him and giving him any time to do anything. The last two games we have given their offense great field position which makes things really tough on defense.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
No disrespect but STs is the least of our worries imo. The offense is where we lost the game last night. That being said STs could stand some improvement as well.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No disrespect but STs is the least of our worries imo. The offense is where we lost the game last night. That being said STs could stand some improvement as well.
Listen to CPJ's audio. One of things he complained about was exactly what I posted.

We could have the best kicker, KR, PR in the country and we still wouldn't be very good on ST's with the way we are playing as a whole unit. Field position is everything (game of inches right?)

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I will say this... Our punt team could not figure out how to line up correctly all night long. It looked like a classroom of 4 and 5 year old kids trying to figure our how to line up.

Also our Kick-Off coverage is ridiculous. We can't stay in our lanes and the tackling at times is horrific.

Kick-Return team - we don't know how to set up a wedge or flank left or right. The one decent return we had so far this year was Golden run away from his blockers on the cut back he made against UNC.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I will say this... Our punt team could not figure out how to line up correctly all night long. It looked like a classroom of 4 and 5 year old kids trying to figure our how to line up.

Also our Kick-Off coverage is ridiculous. We can't stay in our lanes and the tackling at times is horrific.

Kick-Return team - we don't know how to set up a wedge or flank left or right. The one decent return we had so far this year was Golden run away from his blockers on the cut back he made against UNC.
Spot on sir. I forgot about the lining up today...That was frustrating as well.

We have a ST coach which most teams do not and we are the ones having this problem. Pretty bad if you ask me.

CMS needs to get the boot too!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
When you have the same problems for the 6th year in a row something needs to be fixed.

These are all his guys, coaches, etc. If we're having the same problems in big games everywhere then it has to fall on the coach.

We are 1-5 vs VT. 1-5. No excuses around that.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
When you have the same problems for the 6th year in a row something needs to be fixed.

These are all his guys, coaches, etc. If we're having the same problems in big games everywhere then it has to fall on the coach.

We are 1-5 vs VT. 1-5. No excuses around that.

Eric, just want to say thank you for providing your honest opinion. I know you're privy to inside info and also help run this board, so I understand there could be some level of conflict of interest in being open.

It's also nice that this board has avoided overly-dramatizing yesterday's game even after a completely putrid showing. It's definitely disappointing the way we lost the game yesterday.

ToddM

Just my thoughts guys, not trying to fight.

I don't for the life of me understand how any of you think this is on any coach. I get that the coaches are the ones in charge, I get that they are the teachers, I get all the lead from the top stuff. What don't get is how the coach can prevent the fumbles, how a coach can stop an errant pass, how a coach can keep a player from going on the wrong snap count, how a coach can block down on an opposing player who has split the gap on every play, how a coach can make a kid concentrate, how a coach can make a back protect the backside and how a coach can teach 4 sr's anything new about a set that they have ran for 4-5 years.

Yes CPJ made two bad calls last night, going for it on 4th down and calling the type play he called when going for it. Other than that senior players who have played their entire lives had no clue how to line up, which way to go, or what count to go on.

Those are not in game adjustments they are taught in practice. If they haven't been taught the proper way to do all this we would not be 3-1, we would be 1-3 at best.

Giving our players a pass on what was obviously an off night for THEM does not make them better.

Now on the more obvious issues that are not on the players. Waller is not starter material, he will not go get the ball and he is passive. Summers and Smelter should be the WR's and Waller, because if his size should only be in on goal plays.

I do agree that Vad is better suited to pass but he knew he was coming to an option team. He has to be given time to learn the reads at game speed but during that period we should open up the passing a little more. He has to have confidence while on the field, in something.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
While I respect your opinion, Todd, it's on the coach to call the plays and I expect playcalling that reflects the strengths of our team. Last night, those strengths were not option out of the flexbone. If CPJ doesn't like that, fine... fix it in practice, but don't keep calling plays our guys are incapable of executing and blame the loss on lack of execution.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

That is so very true.

Snoddy - Mr Speed - didn't have squat room to run, thus didn't do well on KO returns.