CPJ Radio Show

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
Would love to see that leg strength keep moving a pile. DM was so good at keeping his legs moving no matter what. You can turn a no gainer into a 3 or 4 yarder, by churning, and possible break out of the traffic!
And on at least two occasions he looked down to everyone and made another 20+ yards out of the play. Yessir, keep those legs moving. Although that's easy to say while I'm sitting on my fat butt.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yes, we're gonna have to see if Benson has "it" once he gets all that speed and ability out on the field. But, don't go to sleep on one more intriguing thing-- this off-season he BROKE the team weightlifting record in the Squat. (all pardons if someone else has recently pointed this out and I missed it)

I think that might have been a record for his position rather than team. I might be wrong though. Also don't think they are comparing records to prior eras but again could be wrong.

Regardless, the young man is without doubt kuntree skrong.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
So we're hearing Benson is big & strong and the fastest B-Back since Dwyer right? If so, then how come last year both Marshall and a freshman Mills beat him out and even Weimerskirch's single carry for a fumble was more action than he saw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So we're hearing Benson is big & strong and the fastest B-Back since Dwyer right? If so, then how come last year both Marshall and a freshman Mills beat him out and even Weimerskirch's single carry for a fumble was more action than he saw?

Knowing where to go, blocking ect are all very important things. He might not have had that down. CPJ even hinted, when talking about Benson it takes some kids a little longer to get it down.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

He was also hurt some last year.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

If I remember correctly he was injured in high school and needed surgery, which kept him out through his T-Fr year. I think the staff wanted him to delay enrollment until January since he wouldn't be able to play that year anyway, but he chose to just use it as his redshirt year. Last year was his first year where he was able to practice, plus being the first year after surgery he was still getting stronger and healthier. I wasn't surprised to see him at the back of the depth chart last year but fully expected him to push for PT as the primary backup to Mills. I can't wait to see him bust a few big ones getting those starter carries!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I remember correctly he was injured in high school and needed surgery, which kept him out through his T-Fr year. I think the staff wanted him to delay enrollment until January since he wouldn't be able to play that year anyway, but he chose to just use it as his redshirt year. Last year was his first year where he was able to practice, plus being the first year after surgery he was still getting stronger and healthier. I wasn't surprised to see him at the back of the depth chart last year but fully expected him to push for PT as the primary backup to Mills. I can't wait to see him bust a few big ones getting those starter carries!
I always liked Marshall as the starter and Mills as the backup last year. Mills never showed me anything but brute force. Marshall's run late in the 4th quarter in Athens last year was the best run by a GT back in a long, long time. I am hoping Benson's speed will be the ticket to some "house" calls.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I always liked Marshall as the starter and Mills as the backup last year. Mills never showed me anything but brute force. Marshall's run late in the 4th quarter in Athens last year was the best run by a GT back in a long, long time. I am hoping Benson's speed will be the ticket to some "house" calls.

Ditto on your optimism for KB. I just hope revisionist history of DM and MM doesn't end up taking over on this board. It's been stated as naseum why DM started over MM and why that was the right decision. DM was the second most talented BB we've had at GT.

That said, let's all get jacked up about KB, QW, and JH!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
KB sounds like a more complete running back. In a different offense, perhaps he would easily be ahead of Mills, but he's in this spot because Mills is gone. Marshall was in a similar position. Our BB hits the hole so much faster than other offenses, so guys who are better at waiting for a hole to develop may not be the best fit.

But just because we were high on Mills doesn't really mean we should be down on Kirvonte. He's clearly got a combination of strength and speed others couldn't match, and he may very well end up better than either Mills or Marshall would have been.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
shut up andy. and get rid of the kasey kasem radio voice.

oh wes... wes... wherefore art thou wes?

I think he will be find be he does strike you as a young kid at work who is not quite yet comfortable in his own skin and/or is so excited about his first job he just won't quit jabbering. The little dog Chester in the "Spike and Chester" WB cartoon. And if you understand that reference, you are no spring chicken.

Andy, calm down and relax son. It's going to be OK. Less is more. We are rooting for you kid. Sure, you have some big shoes to fill but so did the two guys before you and they were fine. Granted, they weren't Big Al...but he was like a Calvin Johnson. You are lucky to have seen or heard one in your lifetime.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
In the press conference today, CPJ said that all four QBs might play on Monday. Not going to happen, but it would be funny watching the people on this forum if: All four went into the first huddle. Two played AB, one played BB, and one QB. We wouldn't know until they broke the huddle and lined up which one was the starting QB for certain.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Probably two reasons: ACL injury recovery is obvious reason and takes more than a year (note Cottrell also got one carry last year) and CPJ's comments about his drastic maturing and accountability during the past year. CPJ was quite emphatic about how young players have to mature into this college level and it takes some players longer than others. Benson's maturing and accountability process lately seems to have won CPJ over where before not so much. Maybe this was a big part of some of the other attrition we have had.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In the press conference today, CPJ said that all four QBs might play on Monday. Not going to happen, but it would be funny watching the people on this forum if: All four went into the first huddle. Two played AB, one played BB, and one QB. We wouldn't know until they broke the huddle and lined up which one was the starting QB for certain.
But, then they could all go in motion and switch positions!