CPJ Radio Show 9-28

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The only people yelling and screaming were the ones who drank too much koolaid. The ones saying stuff like "I just have a feeling this is a special year," and "We will go 14 and 0." These people obviously haven't obviously haven't been fans of the program for very long anyway. We haven't looked great but if we work hard to get better we can still have a good year. Maybe 8-4 with a solid bowl win... Something to build on for next year.

I have to say that is about as wrong as it gets, and is clearly an assumption. I am an old-timer, as are most of my close GT buddies. A number of us thought, based on the way we finished last year and the fact that we were returning so many offensive linemen, that this might indeed be a special year. A year where we would go into our "power" games (FSU, ND, UGA, Clemson) with at least a 50-50 shot at winning those. Now, it would appear our chance soon those games are more like 10-20% (at best). Yup, I'm crushed. We have gone form having a chance to national, prominence (for the first time in 25 years) to being irrelevant in Atlanta (again).Yup, us old-timers are disappointed.

I guess Dave Braine was right.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You're right. He completly ignored the callers question and tried to make him sound stupid. But , this has always been Johnson's MO. If you really catch it sometimes he try's to make Brandon look and sound stupid. Not a way to make friends and influence enemies.

Every other college coach in America would have done the exact same thing and treated the question the same, maybe even worse.

Agree swamp. I think it has more to do with some folks not liking the answer. I pointed out the other day that we threw it more often than normal but went 6-22 with a pick. CPJ one upped me by adding in the pass plays that went for sacks or scrambles after plays broke down. I thought it was a brilliant answer but it was a matter of speaking to the choir. Btw....not all of those pass attempts were "deep balls". And some of the throws to the sidelines were just JT getting rid of the ball.

But anytime we struggle on O the detractors go right back to the same old BS criticisms of the scheme. Only one not resurrected so far is the "extra time to prep" one.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Agree swamp. I think it has more to do with some folks not liking the answer. I pointed out the other day that we threw it more often than normal but went 6-22 with a pick. CPJ one upped me by adding in the pass plays that went for sacks or scrambles after plays broke down. I thought it was a brilliant answer but it was a matter of speaking to the choir. Btw....not all of those pass attempts were "deep balls". And some of the throws to the sidelines were just JT getting rid of the ball.

But anytime we struggle on O the detractors go right back to the same old BS criticisms of the scheme. Only one not resurrected so far is the "extra time to prep" one.
I wonder if we have "hot" routes in our playbook? It does seem to me that all our passing attempts take a good bit of time to develop outside the "smoke" route. When we have defenders shooting the Agap undeterred, we need a hot route or two.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if we have "hot" routes in our playbook? It does seem to me that all our passing attempts take a good bit of time to develop outside the "smoke" route. When we have defenders shooting the Agap undeterred, we need a hot route or two.
To answer my own question, I found this online. It's the "switch" play from the run-and-shoot offense. I believe we run this play, too. Notice the right wr (Z) has the option to cut the route short and cross over the middle or take it deep. I wonder if this is our best "hot route" option?

Then again, maybe we don't do this because JeT is just too short to see the short middle?

baseswitch.gif

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2007/12/add-little-hawaii-to-your-offense.html

Last edited:

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
My favorite NFL team is the Green Bay Packers. I must say I enjoy being able to watch their offense every week but their hot routes I don't see working in our formation. The only "hot" route beside sthe Smoke rout I like is the fake mesh to a slanting a-back from the slot.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
To answer my own question, I found this online. It's the "switch" play from the run-and-shoot offense. I believe we run this play, too. Notice the right wr (Z) has the option to cut the route short and cross over the middle or take it deep. I wonder if this is our best "hot route" option?

Then again, maybe we don't do this because JeT is just too short to see over the middle?

baseswitch.gif
If so, it'd be nice if the rb drug all the way across the field to either be open or open up the passing lane a little more for someone of JTs height.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess everyone who likes the show can find the broadcast, either live or replayed. Still, I made a few notes from last night so I might as well share. I missed the first ten minutes still hoping my idiot radio affiliate would switch to it.

* We went bonkers at Notre Dame. The ND atmosphere got to us, young and veterans alike. Duke wasn't as bad. Defense played pretty well. We still didn't block well. Wasn't effort problem, more guys trying to do too much and not taking care of their assignments.

* Q: Why not a quick slant, coach? [this was what cheese noted was the one time PJ got irritable] A: We threw it 31 times, or tried to. Seven sacks. We couldn't block for passing any better than running.

* We will get better at skill positions if we can keep them on the field more. Nothing substitutes for game experience. So much faster. Qua started to get some, them gets hurt. Taquon, same thing. Mikel will play.

* Frustrating for me? You bet! I get everything set up just right for a play that I know will hit big then someone screws up, and yeah, it is frustrating. Most of the time you only get the one chance. After they have seen what you were going to do they adjust, so it can't be set up again.

* We are not used to punting. When we have the ball we get points. They're not used to it. It makes 'em try to do too much. Heck, I'm not used to it. This is new ground for me too.

* Patrick Skov is getting better. Improved a good bit between ND and Duke. Looking for his cuts better.

* 4th and 1 you have a fifth year senior back running behind a three year starter and he blocks the wrong guy.

* Q: What about chemistry and team leadership, coach? A: I think it's good. We'll see. I challenged them in the locker room after the Duke game. [I can't remember what else he said here, but I remember liking it]

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
One was thrown low and behind Lynch in the second half. Very poor throw made it look like it was not worth the effort or had not been practiced enough.

I felt that on that play, Lynch didn't know what was coming. He was slow to line up, looked tentative in the "route" and from the throw, it didn't look like he was where JT expected him to be.

Obviously, I doubt we'll ever know the full story, but I thought Lynch didn't know the play.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think his comments about how much we want to win pales in comparison to how much the coaches and players want to win (because of the investment they have in it) really strikes a cord with me. It's also a good reality check. Those coaches are working 100 hours a week to win the damn game, and I know I sometimes forget that.

Also, could we cool it with the "I told you so" speech? It's great that some predicted 8-4, while others were more bullish. If you want to have a conversation about who's the most right, maybe have that with yourself. Me? I'd like to discuss how we get our stuff fixed.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think his comments about how much we want to win pales in comparison to how much the coaches and players want to win (because of the investment they have in it) really strikes a cord with me. It's also a good reality check. Those coaches are working 100 hours a week to win the damn game, and I know I sometimes forget that.

Also, could we cool it with the "I told you so" speech? It's great that some predicted 8-4, while others were more bullish. If you want to have a conversation about who's the most right, maybe have that with yourself. Me? I'd like to discuss how we get our stuff fixed.

What surprises me is that coach has been saying that our problems has been on us not our opponents. So, the people twisting their arms to pat themselves on the back are saying that they knew we'd beat ourselves? that our Orange Bowl MVP QB would press and take himself out of the system like his predecessor? they knew that? that our OL with 4 returning starters that owned some pretty good SEC DL's and more than held its own against some of the best defenses in the country vs CU, vpi, and uva would come out and lose focus on their blocking assignments? they knew that?

Well good for them, I guess? I was certainly wrong in not predicting our experienced players to flake-out on O.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

I think we have something here, but we rarely ever use it. The only "hot read" I can think of is when we feel the corner is going to blitz or squat in the flat (which I think means he has pitch responsibility) our QB will stand up and fire it out to the WR before the safety or OLB can get over. I think Byerly's only pass this year was this play if I remember correctly. I will see if I can find the video, but that is the only quick hitting pass play I can think of that doesn't require a deep drop.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we have something here, but we rarely ever use it. The only "hot read" I can think of is when we feel the corner is going to blitz or squat in the flat (which I think means he has pitch responsibility) our QB will stand up and fire it out to the WR before the safety or OLB can get over. I think Byerly's only pass this year was this play if I remember correctly. I will see if I can find the video, but that is the only quick hitting pass play I can think of that doesn't require a deep drop.

I can't get the video to upload on here, but I did find the play I was talking about. It was Byerly's pass in the Alcorn game.

The play is at the 1:03:30 mark at this link: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2637208/

If someone can find a way to chop that play up and upload it on here I would be thankful.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In terms of passing, especially in the face of the all out blitz, the only thing I think we really need is for the BB, who is in pass pro, to turn and release after the rushers get past him and look for the ball. We have had 6 or 7 rushers with, at least, one spy on JT on pretty much every pass play. The ABs and WRs are out with single coverage. By my math (and by watching film) there is nobody left. Just dump it off as a safety valve and watch the BB run with the ball 15 yards until a DB gets near him.