CPJ Press Conference

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Oh, how about the "schools similar to Tech" question at the end? CPJ couldn't think of any and only came up with Purdue as the closest. I agree with him on just how unique Tech is.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Our defense is getting gashed to say the least. What could it hurt to turn the pressure up.

We are gonna get beat occasionally if you load the box. But I can deal with that.

In turn, the pressure causes the offense to make a mistake or a big play.

The way I look at it is if they score on a big play it just gives our offense more T.O.P. which wears their defense down that much more.

BRING PRESSURE. LOTS OF IT. AND OFTEN.

I would rather be aggressive and lose then passive and lose.

Pure slobber knocking aggression. It needs to be our MO.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
If there is one thing we should have figured out by now it is that CPJ with every D coordinator expects and tries to let them completely run the unit. He makes sure that he is the public face and in charge of the program and points out that he listens in on the headset and will share his opinion so we end up thinking that he is also directly taking control of the D. But he really does try and let his D Coordinator run it. Remember how with both Wommack and Groh he would say "need to simplify" or "have to pick something and get good at it" repeatedly week to week? He was making it clear what he thought needed to be done to improve D but then game would come around and I didn't see those changes implemented. That was a clue that he didn't mind sending a message to the D coordinator in press conferences but he was not actually trying to micro-manage and make the decision for the Coordinator.

Great point. If you micro-manage, you're sending a message to your players about their coordinator. You have to walk a fine line between helping to come up with a workable solution to your problem and not overstepping your boundaries.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
At least someone is asking questions. In years past it seems there were long pauses and crickets.

With PJ, he's never going to give you a lot to write about. He's going to pretty much give the standard response every time. Ask him about the other team and he'll say he doesn't know their personnel except by number (but then listen to him talk about those kids by name again and again).

Have a thick skin and a sense of humor. If you have a good sense of humor, you're in good with him. He loves good jokes.

Declinometer

Banned
I remember the exact same quote before the year about if 4 isnt working bring 5, etc.
On defense we line up and play. We have to show blitz and then drop. Show four man rush and blitz. We have to mix it up, confuse the QB and be unpredictable. If the offense guesses right and beats us so be it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agree.

I am at the point now where we just blitz the hell out of the offense...maybe we force a turnover.

Hell, at least we might make them actually have to think for a second. Look what happens to VT's QB at the slightest hint of pressure. He falls apart and starts throwing you the ball. These QB's are fairly well-coached but they're not freakin' Peyton Manning. Sure they'll burn you from time to time, but if you put pressure on them I'm willing to bet you'll see them fold more often than not.

If I see us blitz a guy from his customary 10-12yd cushion again only to have him get caught up in traffic at the LOS I may not make it through another game. :mad:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Hell, at least we might make them actually have to think for a second. Look what happens to VT's QB at the slightest hint of pressure. He falls apart and starts throwing you the ball. These QB's are fairly well-coached but they're not freakin' Peyton Manning. Sure they'll burn you from time to time, but if you put pressure on them I'm willing to bet you'll see them fold more often than not.

If I see us blitz a guy from his customary 10-12yd cushion again only to have him get caught up in traffic at the LOS I may not make it through another game. :mad:
Those safety blitzes piss me off. We need to bring pressure so we decides to bring a guy that's not gonna get to the QB for 3 seconds anyways. Maybe our DB's are just bad at timing the snap count to get to the line by the time the ball is snapped.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Those safety blitzes piss me off. We need to bring pressure so we decides to bring a guy that's not gonna get to the QB for 3 seconds anyways. Maybe our DB's are just bad at timing the snap count to get to the line by the time the ball is snapped.

Tell me about it. 'Cause nobody could see our guy creeping up from 15yds away right? No way the QB and receiver can adjust to that slow-developing action.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
IMO, you show the same look every time. Show blitz every time. But drop back 40% of the time and actually blitz the other 60%.

If you show the same look the offense can't adjust as easily. SHOW BLITZ then mix it up.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ: "We need to be more creative in how we bring pressure."
"You have to bring enough guys to get pressure... if 4 ain't getting pressure, bring 5, if 5 ain't gettin' it, bring 6, if 6 ain't gettin' it, bring 7"
yes. yes. yes. PJ friggin' gets it!
How long will Roof disregard this advice? If we aren't strong enough to play bend-dont-break D, then let's play some Tenuta D and get after that QB.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm in Real Estate and folks have a place in the North GA mountains so just curious.
LOL...wasn't making fun of you or implying you would say it. Just being sarcastic because you know those inevitable trolls will come around when things aren't all rosey and make a crack like that.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If there is one thing we should have figured out by now it is that CPJ with every D coordinator expects and tries to let them completely run the unit. He makes sure that he is the public face and in charge of the program and points out that he listens in on the headset and will share his opinion so we end up thinking that he is also directly taking control of the D. But he really does try and let his D Coordinator run it. Remember how with both Wommack and Groh he would say "need to simplify" or "have to pick something and get good at it" repeatedly week to week? He was making it clear what he thought needed to be done to improve D but then game would come around and I didn't see those changes implemented. That was a clue that he didn't mind sending a message to the D coordinator in press conferences but he was not actually trying to micro-manage and make the decision for the Coordinator.

Since the preseason and every week he has stressed the idea of getting pressure and sending as many as it takes if you need that pressure. This is his refrain for what he thinks the D needs this year similar to years past where it was "simplify." However, I think in this presser in his answers he also was showing how elaborate the issues are for the D and so I don't get the sense that his "bring as many as it takes" is as big a warning message to Roof as many of his statements were in years past clearly messages to Wommack or Groh to make some changes.

This is exactly right. But its dumb. He runs the program and if he feels blitzing like hell would win he needs to walk up to ted. Say boitz 70 freaking percent of the time i dont care, and install more packages and get it done asap. Then literally the game right after this you would see that. Yet we havent. Sending messages via the press to your staff is almost like i dont want to be involved my o is fine the d sucks and i kept saying so. It just feels odd to me.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I wonder if he walked up to Ted after Georgia Southern and said, "We can't give up the big play." Regardless, they've got to find a way to light a fire under our D.