CPJ Press Conference Audio

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Posted this in the coaching changes thread but probably deserves its own spot. Lot of good nuggets in here - worth the 14 min to list.

One thing debated ad naseum on GTSwarm is whether CPJ critiques the offense and defense fairly... today CPJ said the offense was way worse than expected and defense was not as improved as you would have liked with all those guys coming back. He continued that the defense was better than the offense this year, though it "wasn't anything to write home about".

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Posted this in the coaching changes thread but probably deserves its own spot. Lot of good nuggets in here - worth the 14 min to list.

One thing debated ad naseum on GTSwarm is whether CPJ critiques the offense and defense fairly... today CPJ said the offense was way worse than expected and defense was not as improved as you would have liked with all those guys coming back. He continued that the defense was better than the offense this year, though it "wasn't anything to write home about".

I've yet to figure out why some folks thinks CPJ sugarcoats anything!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
His allusion to Mills in the B-Back depth chart was funny. I'm very excited for the deep nature of all the guys coming back at that position.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lots of good info to chew on until spring. Thanks, Cuse!

Christian Campbell will definitely be playing QB this spring, and CPJ not as definite on TaQuan at QB as he was in the fall...but it sounds like he will get snaps there. Taquan will stay at AB if he's not a factor at QB.

Marcus Marshall is definitely staying at BB, as is Marcus Allen it sounds like. CPJ thinks this will be the deepest position on the team.

Kinda sounded excited for the new cornerbacks...as much as CPJ can get excited. Singled out Lamont Simmons and "that kid from Mount Paran" (Dorian Walker)...lol.

Sounds like CPJ is high on Lynn Griffin staying at AB. Cottrell will be out for the Spring. AB position will also be deep.

OL position sounds a little beat up, and Burden will not be a factor this spring. Quite a few guys trying to get healthy.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
He sounds high on Cottrell. It's kinda crazy to think he will sit out of spring camp. Maybe he wants to protect him because he thinks he's a really good player, maybe he wants to preserve more players from injury, or maybe he is really still injured.. It's interesting to me though....makes me wonder how bad his injury really was. I mean damn didn't he get hurt in the spring. That's a whole year.

I like Taquon at QB a lot
Marshall will be a beast at BB.
AB will be studs if they don't get hurt.
Lynn Griifin has been working really hard so far..he's postimg a lot of workout videos on Instagram...dude is athletic as hell.

Go Jackets!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Too bad about Cotrell, but he has that thing you can't coach. His problem = getting up to speed on blocking.

As to who stays at BB: that'll depend. Since it's going to be such a deep position, I expect someone to switch to AB or WR sooner or later. Glad someone is getting paid to figure that out. The main thing here is the realization of how much offensive talent we had either hurt or out last year. The list goes on and on and on and on …

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds like this year's recruiting class is pretty much in the can too. Based on his tone and comments I wouldn't expect too many surprises.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
He sounds high on Cottrell. It's kinda crazy to think he will sit out of spring camp. Maybe he wants to protect him because he thinks he's a really good player, maybe he wants to preserve more players from injury, or maybe he is really still injured.. It's interesting to me though....makes me wonder how bad his injury really was. I mean damn didn't he get hurt in the spring. That's a whole year.

Lynn Griifin has been working really hard so far..he's postimg a lot of workout videos on Instagram...dude is athletic as hell.

Go Jackets!
I wouldn't expect Cottrell to get cleared before the end of May.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
With Cottrell missing so much yet coach being so high on him I'm predicting he'll be our next Orwin Smith. Just get him the dang ball.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
in reference to the OL pass pro issues paul says"

"you have to look at all of it, the scheme, the way we are teaching it, everything about it....its kinda a combination, the scheme, coaching, we need to take a good hard look at it"

at least he sees that its more than just. The players. Will be interesting to see what changes they make...if any.

I like paul...he is like...its not working lets throw it away. Glad to hear that.

alot of good nuggets in here that validate what many fans were saying through the year too.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Taquon at QB:

Look I get it. He is very quick and elusive.

But just me personally I'd like to see us have the 6'1 - 6'2 and 210-220 size QBs.

I'd take a slew of JNs and TBs. JMO though.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I would much rather have two OL coaches than a special teams coach. I would rather be great on one side of the ball and bad/mediocre in special teams, than to be mediocre in all three facets.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I would much rather have two OL coaches than a special teams coach. I would rather be great on one side of the ball and bad/mediocre in special teams, than to be mediocre in all three facets.
I just want special teams to attack downfield on kicks, I mean with an attitude, and stand their ground on blocking for all kicks. It seemed to me we were so intent on holding our lanes that we forgot to get after returners.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
With Cottrell missing so much yet coach being so high on him I'm predicting he'll be our next Orwin Smith. Just get him the dang ball.
Or better. I think that when Cotrell gets on the field, he'll be pretty much an instant star. A 190 lb. AB who cuts the forty in 4.32? Yikes. He could light things up every other play. Now, there's is that pesky blocking business …

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Go Jackets!

How is it crazy? Cottrell hurt himself (torn ACL) last August. Those injuries typically take a year to recover, not counting freaks like Adrian Peterson. Not surprising you'd sit out practice within a year of that kind of injury.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
in reference to the OL pass pro issues paul says"

"you have to look at all of it, the scheme, the way we are teaching it, everything about it....its kinda a combination, the scheme, coaching, we need to take a good hard look at it"

at least he sees that its more than just. The players. Will be interesting to see what changes they make...if any.

I like paul...he is like...its not working lets throw it away. Glad to hear that.

alot of good nuggets in here that validate what many fans were saying through the year too.

He actually said a lot more. GTAthletics cuts out some of the more "controversial" stuff.