CPJ post-practice audio

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Has it occurred to anyone that Campbell might not know his head from his *** in the offense yet?

Stop it...we all know messageboarders have a better knowledge of the players than the actual coaches. I mean, we have all seen the players high school highlights a zillion times and the coaches have only witnessed these guys in person everyday in practice. Don't be silly, man.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Stop it...we all know messageboarders have a better knowledge of the players than the actual coaches. I mean, we have all seen the players high school highlights a zillion times and the coaches have only witnessed these guys in person everyday in practice. Don't be silly, man.
Sorry, my bad. :)

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I guess we can put to bed the idea that he was moved to Aback because they had given up on him at qb.

Just because they're moving him back in an injury situation doesn't mean they see him being the future QB of the program. It's not a stretch to say he's the third best this year and still may be the third best next year even if TB leaves. He may be the second best now with TB injured, but I'm not convinced that they still don't think he will make his biggest contributions at AB.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
MJ was kinda stuck behind JT this year and next. I'm not sure if the move to ABack was because MJ couldn't cut it at QB or cause he was gonna waste away on the bench holding a clipboard.

The move to Aback was to get him on the field. Why waste one of the better athletes on the team holding a clipboard?
You can't judge MJ by the spring game b/c his O line was awful.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MJ has the tools to be a good QB. Having watched him a few times now, I wouldn't say he lacks a knowledge of the offense or ability to make reads. However, I would say he has yet to develop the pocket poise and ability to see the field that a good QB needs. Things were still way too fast for him the last time I saw him on the field. It may slow down for him soon or it may never slow down. It is just hard to say. I am curious to see him get some snaps, hopefully with us up 30 points.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
To me the key point right now is that CPJ thinks he should be #2 with Byerly out. That gives me some hope but there is so little history to go on. If we get to see him with the first string for at least a couple drives this weekend then we will know more.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I guess we can put to bed the idea that he was moved to Aback because they had given up on him at qb.
He looked good at A back. He looked a lot like Synjin, and just like Synjin is someone you want on the field.
I don't think his future is QB, but I'm glad we have him as an option there.

I think MJ was the heir to Perkins as our "physical" A back. Maybe MLD gets a shot now?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He looked good at A back. He looked a lot like Synjin, and just like Synjin is someone you want on the field.
I don't think his future is QB, but I'm glad we have him as an option there.

I think MJ was the heir to Perkins as our "physical" A back. Maybe MLD gets a shot now?
You may be right, but I think the move to Aback was more about getting the best athletes on the field rather than saying he's not a qb.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, I am rooting for a huge lead early so we can get MJ a ton of snaps. If he is going to be our back up until Timmy gets back, that could potentially carry over to next week and Notre Dunce. We need him more ready rather than less, especially getting snaps with the 1's and developing some timing.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
There are so many threads going on the backup QB topic that I don't know where to put this.

I loved MJ's high school film. At the time, knowing he was our #1 QB target, I was confident he would be our QB of the future. I have never seen him in action at all, so I have no idea how well he runs our offense. But I will say this: If his strengths are what others are saying they are, and what I saw in his h.s. film, I feel good about him moving to QB2. I think our team, as assembled right now, can very easily take on a power-run, grind-it-out approach, with or without JeT. TB, and BS (to a degree), ran this against Alcorn, and it is the approach that made us so dominant in the last few games of last season. As long as MJ can successfully hand the ball off on belly and trap plays, deliver a smooth rocket toss, and make the occasional 3O read, we'll be fine (Again, this statement applies to our current roster... In the past, maybe a backup like MJ wouldn't be able to slide in and keep us going). JeT obviously does things that nobody else can do, and opens up all facets of the offense, but with our current OL, thunder and lightning mix of Skov/Allen and MM, and apparently serviceable ABs/WRs, I have confidence we can continue moving the chains and putting the ball in the EZ.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There are so many threads going on the backup QB topic that I don't know where to put this.

I loved MJ's high school film. At the time, knowing he was our #1 QB target, I was confident he would be our QB of the future. I have never seen him in action at all, so I have no idea how well he runs our offense. But I will say this: If his strengths are what others are saying they are, and what I saw in his h.s. film, I feel good about him moving to QB2. I think our team, as assembled right now, can very easily take on a power-run, grind-it-out approach, with or without JeT. TB, and BS (to a degree), ran this against Alcorn, and it is the approach that made us so dominant in the last few games of last season. As long as MJ can successfully hand the ball off on belly and trap plays, deliver a smooth rocket toss, and make the occasional 3O read, we'll be fine (Again, this statement applies to our current roster... In the past, maybe a backup like MJ wouldn't be able to slide in and keep us going). JeT obviously does things that nobody else can do, and opens up all facets of the offense, but with our current OL, thunder and lightning mix of Skov/Allen and MM, and apparently serviceable ABs/WRs, I have confidence we can continue moving the chains and putting the ball in the EZ.
How dare you call our wr's "serviceable" with Brad Stewart in the fold. ;)