CPJ one of five OCs to have more the 5 ypp three yrs running

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Especially if we play more like we did against ugag
Oh man, I really hope we play better. If we still can't make option reads next year and have to hope Ds crash their safeties to open the passing game it will be a long season. Also, I hope our D can play two halves like they played the 1st qtr.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is a very impressive stat. There will be some who say we falsely inflate our average against the cupcakes and can't move the ball against better teams. I'm pretty sure every team plays cupcakes that factor into their average.

We need to get better on offense, but our offense has been far from a liability. For those who say Navy runs it better than we do, I wonder what their average per play has been over the last three years? Our execution has actually only been "fair" and we produced these numbers. If we could just tighten up some of the reads and timing a little, this thing could explode.

The amount of criticism that CPJ has taken about his offense over the years just doesn't jive with me. Numbers like these, for 3 years running, when supposedly we had a weak kneed, rubber armed, timid, no talent QB running things, aught to make his detractors take some pause. It is a very small group of coaches who have accomplished the feat. It surely isn't an indicator of weak scheme and bad play calling. When you combine the YPP numbers with our "top of the nation" RZ efficiency, you know you have something going good on that side of the ball.

There are some areas that I think CPJ has earned some criticism, but offensive ineptitude isn't one of them.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Only Baylor averaged over 6 ypp vsBCSAQ all 3 yrs. We were next closest with 5.89 this year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That is a pretty big stat there. I like eliminating the cup cakes for the sake of clarity.
Baylor did it with RGiii, and another NFL bound QB this year and next. We were doing it with Tevin and came close with Vad who can't make option reads. But our OL stinks, and our play caller is too stubborn, smh.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Oh man, I really hope we play better. If we still can't make option reads next year and have to hope Ds crash their safeties to open the passing game it will be a long season. Also, I hope our D can play two halves like they played the 1st qtr.
I think we play well since Lee will have more time with option.We really need defensively studs and soon but we have some good teams to work on..look for at least 7 wins next yr..

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess i mean that more in terms of the play calling

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I re-watched the Sun Bowl from last year. I watched it with a new critical eye. When Vad was in, I saw some zone reads, some called dives, some called QB keeps, rocket, etc. The full fake-bone package (all of the look, but no actual triple). And in spite of that, we beat USC...

I will be watching the Music City Bowl with a keen eye on whether Vad has made any improvement on the 3O reads since the Clemson/GA games.

Our offense is successful, and there is a lot of room for improvement. We should be excited about that.

/

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I re-watched the Sun Bowl from last year. I watched it with a new critical eye. When Vad was in, I saw some zone reads, some called dives, some called QB keeps, rocket, etc. The full fake-bone package (all of the look, but no actual triple). And in spite of that, we beat USC...

I will be watching the Music City Bowl with a keen eye on whether Vad has made any improvement on the 3O reads since the Clemson/GA games.

Our offense is successful, and there is a lot of room for improvement. We should be excited about that.

/
How do you know it's a called dive and not a read give on the triple?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
The whole offense in my opinion is on Vad.He must make the read and make it quickly.I think he is coming along but he is at times hesitant when it comes to the pitch.The offense is hard to run if you are not on your toes.Dodd ran the Belly and he said that the plays were called in the huddle rather than read the defensive lineman.Vad is coming but when you are a spread qb in HS and now under center ....I am sure it takes time.Ole Miss will be very active on defense but be in my opinion weak on the pass..Lets light it up.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Especially if we play more like we did against ugag
I hope PJ turns the pass loose in the bowl game .I am as I have publically said not a fan of the option for many reasons but will say when you pass most of the time somebody is open.I agree do it like we did at georgie and lets go after them.

zyang31

Georgia Tech Fan
It is a very impressive stat. There will be some who say we falsely inflate our average against the cupcakes and can't move the ball against better teams. I'm pretty sure every team plays cupcakes that factor into their average.
People like you are why the phrase "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" exists.

Other teams RUTS on patsies, but other teams don't RUTS on patsies to the extent that we do, which means are averages are more inflated against cupcakes than other teams' are.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
People like you are why the phrase "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" exists.

Other teams RUTS on patsies, but other teams don't RUTS on patsies to the extent that we do, which means are averages are more inflated against cupcakes than other teams' are.

Did you miss my follow-up? We averaged more than 6 ypp against bcsaq teams in 2011 and 2012 and 5.89 ypp this year.