CPJ Offense is great for Tech

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I think it's important to remember that we had 3 trFr starting on OL in that VPI game, the first start for at least Cooper.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ does a great job, overall. I would also like to choose a QB that has an arm but can make the correct option reads. I've always thought the run works better when the opposing D respects the pass. Matthew Jordan did a good job in a tough spot in Blacksburg but his throwing ability may be in question. If he gets the starting QB job and he does have trouble throwing, expect the D to put 8 in the box to shut down the run. I was impressed with the QBs that played in the spring game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They've gonna need more than 8.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
So, in the end, you take the good with the bad. I'm certainly a fan of CPJ and this offense. Part of me is pulling for Lucas Johnson to win the QB battle at some point so CPJ can make use of his arm, and possibly change the narrative of this offense. This offense is certainly capable of having a QB passing for 2000+ yards and 1000+ yards rushing.

Yep

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
There's certainly a give and take with CPJ's offense.

On the plus side, IMO, you get one of the best game day tacticians in college football. You also get an offense that's proven to make the most out of the talent. This offense works, and is at times devastating (See Orange Bowl 2014, FSU 2009). Despite "high school offense" connotations, this offense is proven that it's one of the most explosive offenses in college football today.

On the minus side, there's a certain stigma associated with this offense that does affect recruiting on the offensive side. For instance, the state of GA currently has the #1 ranked pro style QB (Trevor Lawrence), the #1 ranked Dual Threat QB (Justin Fields), and the #2 ranked Dual Threat QB (Emory Jones). None of whom considered GT. It's hard to recruit elite level skill players to play in this offense.

So, in the end, you take the good with the bad. I'm certainly a fan of CPJ and this offense. Part of me is pulling for Lucas Johnson to win the QB battle at some point so CPJ can make use of his arm, and possibly change the narrative of this offense. This offense is certainly capable of having a QB passing for 2000+ yards and 1000+ yards rushing.
Maybe others can help me out on our Ga QB recruitment since Bobby Dodd, but I only know possible Two QBs since his retirement that were top 3 in Ga. Charlie Dudish and Shaun Jones. I personally look at the issue as so much more complex. We have had that discussion many times though. Winning big would solve all problems.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Maybe others can help me out on our Ga QB recruitment since Bobby Dodd, but I only know possible Two QBs since his retirement that were top 3 in Ga. Charlie Dudish and Shaun Jones. I personally look at the issue as so much more complex. We have had that discussion many times though. Winning big would solve all problems.

Quincy Carter signed, but decided to play minor league baseball and take the money. Joe Hamilton was established by the time Carter realized he wasn't good at baseball and he ended up at UGA.

Josh Nesbitt was ranked the #9 dual threat QB in the nation, and he might have been #1 or #2 in GA that year.

Certainly there are other factors at play, but there hasn't been any issue on why elite GA QBs have not considered GT since CPJ has been here. Many have clearly said they did not want to play in this offense. It's purely an exercise in conjecture, but odds are GT would have signed one of the many QBs that GA has produced in the last 10 years had an offense like Fridge's been in place instead of the flex spread option. Josh Dobbs, who was a 4 star QB in HS and got drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers wanted to go to GT for our Aerospace program, but he did not want to play in our offense.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
In my humble opinion, Chan Gailey played "not to lose" games, relying on his Defense to put him in a position to win games, whereas Paul Johnson plays to win, which is reflected in him often-times going for it on 4th Down rather than punting and playing more aggressively on Offense.

It may have been true that Chan managed to win a few "big" games, however, the style was typically very boring to watch for the most part, even with Calvin Johnson on the field because Chan didn't have an Offense in place that utilized his skills most effectively (or have a passing QB who could make things easier on Calvin, which would have made him even more effective).

Some current opponents of ours think Paul Johnson's Offense is "boring" because they don't understand how explosive it can really be by any of the various RB's, WR's or our QB. When run correctly, our "flexbone" option can pick up huge chunks of yards on any given play, even going the distance, or we can get short yardage needed for a first down so we can maintain control of the ball to control the clock for our patented "marches of death". Keeping the ball away from opposing offenses also gives our defense a chance to rest and prepare for whatever the opposing offense may be doing, and if we score, it puts more pressure on opposing offenses so they tend to press to score, knowing they'll have limited touches in a game, which leads to mistakes on their part, giving our defense better chances for turnovers and sacks.

Finally, the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals recently said that "being a spread QB at the college level requires "no leadership". I think that speaks volumes about our QB's who line up under center...

Gailey always said that his game plan was to score & get 7 points up , then hold the other team. Talking about that Wake game, besides the weather, does anyone remember the punt we did with about 3 minutes left in the game with 3 pts. down? the fight that happened between our players on the bench after that punt? the little bastard in the endzone seats that had the "go dawgs" sign? Without a doubt, that game made me really think, "why in the hell do I subject me and my family to this BS?? I despised Chan Gailey!!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

I think Jack O'Neil (sp?), Mike Jolley, Mike Johnson, Tash Van Dora (great name!), Ted Peeple's (again sp?), Jeff Howard and some others were pretty highly rated.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Just thought of Steve Norris, although he technically may have signed just before Dodd retired.

Do not remember how Mike Kelley was rated.

Rated in top 3 for any of these guys do not remember.