CPJ Offense is great for Tech

So this weekend, waiting on the season, I have gone back and watched Georgia Tech in various games during the Chan years. We had some talented players such as Tony Hollings, Tashard Choice, Calvin, etc but man was it frustrating how bad the offense was. Yes against lesser opponents we won and sometimes scored in the 40s. But against Georgia, Clemson etc our defense played well but the offense was terrible. Every other play we threw the ball. It would seem we would be moving the ball running it and then Chan would call three pass plays in a row.

When people moan about the Flex attack and how we need a pro style offense, go back and watch the Chan years and then you will be very happy we have CPJ.

GTFLETCH

Banned
So this weekend, waiting on the season, I have gone back and watched Georgia Tech in various games during the Chan years. We had some talented players such as Tony Hollings, Tashard Choice, Calvin, etc but man was it frustrating how bad the offense was. Yes against lesser opponents we won and sometimes scored in the 40s. But against Georgia, Clemson etc our defense played well but the offense was terrible. Every other play we threw the ball. It would seem we would be moving the ball running it and then Chan would call three pass plays in a row.

When people moan about the Flex attack and how we need a pro style offense, go back and watch the Chan years and then you will be very happy we have CPJ.

YES it was a very frustrating time

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
I think that says more about Chan's inability to consistently call good plays as opposed to the offense that we were running at the time. While I feel CPJ's offense is a great fit for us here at Tech, the game has changed. And the rise of spread and hurry-up-offenes makes it possible for teams that don't have the same advantages as the factories to compete. Also having a good player caller, like CPJ, is a big factor.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

We needed an AD that would force Chan to hire a competent OC. Chan's recruiting ability and a good OC and we would have been in good shape. 2008 and 2009 showed that--those are still Johnson's best back to back seasons at GT.

The use of the pro style offense wasn't the problem. The problem was the coaches trying to install it and teach it. Patrick Nix was coaching HS ball the last time I checked.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Love CPJ's offense. It's actually extremely underrated, and probably one of the best offenses in the history of college football.

That said, Ralph Friedgen's offense was great for GT as well, and would probably appeal to a lot of offensive recruits in this day and age. It was ahead of its time with the vertical passing, and option concepts. Something that dual threat QBs and WRs would love to play in (don't forget, it was the offense that landed the #2 overall QB one year in Donnie Davis, and also landed Quincy Carter who was considered the top QB in GA that year...and we all know how Joe Hamilton exploded offensively in Fridge's offense).

I understand the concern about getting top level SAs to GT, and how CPJ's offense maximizes talent. I would argue that CPJ is just a plain good coach, and his system amplifies that. I also believe that other systems would do well here. Petrino's system (not the coach, but his offensive system), Chip Kelly's system, Mike Leach's system...and I'm sure a coach Bob Stitt and his system would do well here. Good coaches who know their system inside and out will do well at GT and any school that gives them the chance.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I'll never forget losing the AAC Championship game to Wake Forest in the Gator Bowl. Our total attack was to throw deep to Calvin. What did we score? Maybe a TD.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Ccg had a massive ego problem as regards his O. He paid for it.

Some thought, at first, CPJ may have suffered the same as regards D, but if he ever did I think he has come around as it were.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Losing to wake that day in Jacksonville was as disappointing as any loss to Georgia in recent memory. Choice, CJ and all we got was 6 points?
It was after losing at home to Georgia, maybe the next year, when buddy turns to me and says, "we need to get Paul Johnson," knowing PJ and I had known each other about 10 years at that point. I told him I think that will happen.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I know the day will come when PJ steps down. I really hope we retain his offense,but if we don't, the only offensive style I'd be happy with would be the Fridge offense. I don't know if any of Fridge's pupils are still running his O? Has it gone to die?
I do know PJ's guys are all in on his O. Maybe one of them will be ready to step up when the General steps done.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Near the end of the game I remember a receiver wiiiiide-assed open in the end zone jumping up and down waving for the ball, but Reggie was locked onto Calvin who was triple covered. Incomplete. ugh.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
In my humble opinion, Chan Gailey played "not to lose" games, relying on his Defense to put him in a position to win games, whereas Paul Johnson plays to win, which is reflected in him often-times going for it on 4th Down rather than punting and playing more aggressively on Offense.

It may have been true that Chan managed to win a few "big" games, however, the style was typically very boring to watch for the most part, even with Calvin Johnson on the field because Chan didn't have an Offense in place that utilized his skills most effectively (or have a passing QB who could make things easier on Calvin, which would have made him even more effective).

Some current opponents of ours think Paul Johnson's Offense is "boring" because they don't understand how explosive it can really be by any of the various RB's, WR's or our QB. When run correctly, our "flexbone" option can pick up huge chunks of yards on any given play, even going the distance, or we can get short yardage needed for a first down so we can maintain control of the ball to control the clock for our patented "marches of death". Keeping the ball away from opposing offenses also gives our defense a chance to rest and prepare for whatever the opposing offense may be doing, and if we score, it puts more pressure on opposing offenses so they tend to press to score, knowing they'll have limited touches in a game, which leads to mistakes on their part, giving our defense better chances for turnovers and sacks.

Finally, the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals recently said that "being a spread QB at the college level requires "no leadership". I think that speaks volumes about our QB's who line up under center...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
In my humble opinion, Chan Gailey played "not to lose" games, relying on his Defense to put him in a position to win games, whereas Paul Johnson plays to win, which is reflected in him often-times going for it on 4th Down rather than punting and playing more aggressively on Offense.

I have to agree playing not to lose drove me crazy. But then again driving me crazy is a real short drive.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone have any theories why Ross only stayed at any one head coach position 5 years and then moved on. If he had stayed with RF and GO'L as assistants no telling how good Davis and those teams would have been.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There's certainly a give and take with CPJ's offense.

On the plus side, IMO, you get one of the best game day tacticians in college football. You also get an offense that's proven to make the most out of the talent. This offense works, and is at times devastating (See Orange Bowl 2014, FSU 2009). Despite "high school offense" connotations, this offense is proven that it's one of the most explosive offenses in college football today.

On the minus side, there's a certain stigma associated with this offense that does affect recruiting on the offensive side. For instance, the state of GA currently has the #1 ranked pro style QB (Trevor Lawrence), the #1 ranked Dual Threat QB (Justin Fields), and the #2 ranked Dual Threat QB (Emory Jones). None of whom considered GT. It's hard to recruit elite level skill players to play in this offense.

So, in the end, you take the good with the bad. I'm certainly a fan of CPJ and this offense. Part of me is pulling for Lucas Johnson to win the QB battle at some point so CPJ can make use of his arm, and possibly change the narrative of this offense. This offense is certainly capable of having a QB passing for 2000+ yards and 1000+ yards rushing.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
There's certainly a give and take with CPJ's offense.

On the plus side, IMO, you get one of the best game day tacticians in college football. You also get an offense that's proven to make the most out of the talent. This offense works, and is at times devastating (See Orange Bowl 2014, FSU 2009). Despite "high school offense" connotations, this offense is proven that it's one of the most explosive offenses in college football today.

On the minus side, there's a certain stigma associated with this offense that does affect recruiting on the offensive side. For instance, the state of GA currently has the #1 ranked pro style QB (Trevor Lawrence), the #1 ranked Dual Threat QB (Justin Fields), and the #2 ranked Dual Threat QB (Emory Jones). None of whom considered GT. It's hard to recruit elite level skill players to play in this offense.

So, in the end, you take the good with the bad. I'm certainly a fan of CPJ and this offense. Part of me is pulling for Lucas Johnson to win the QB battle at some point so CPJ can make use of his arm, and possibly change the narrative of this offense. This offense is certainly capable of having a QB passing for 2000+ yards and 1000+ yards rushing.

I think CPJ does a great job, overall. I would also like to choose a QB that has an arm but can make the correct option reads. I've always thought the run works better when the opposing D respects the pass. Matthew Jordan did a good job in a tough spot in Blacksburg but his throwing ability may be in question. If he gets the starting QB job and he does have trouble throwing, expect the D to put 8 in the box to shut down the run. I was impressed with the QBs that played in the spring game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk