CPJ, former players and racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
There is no such thing as white privilege. There is no such thing as systemic racism. We have to work our tails off to get everything we have. Don't blame me because you spent your formative years skipping class, failing school, smoking weed, getting arrested, having illegitimate children with multiple baby mommas, going to prison, joining gangs, and being an overall loser and a social leech. Because I chose not to do those things does not mean I have privilege and you don't. You're just too lazy to work hard at an honest living. All this media manipulation going on right now is agenda-driven by the same people who have pushed the multicultural, blame-America, anti-white dogma for decades. It is Marxist at its core, and it aligns with the founders and funders of Black Lives Matter, all of which aim to destroy the very foundations of the American experiment. Some of you will be offended by this, but that is ok. I'm offended by what is going on around the country right now, and you are not more privileged than I am.

please Lord tell you’re not a real preacher, and you mean it ironically.

As if someone said, “I’m such an ******* and unchristian, it would be funny to call myself a ‘preacher’ on an anonymous message board”

TechPreacher

Banned
But it feels like a privilege to Black people who face extra challenges due to the color of their skin. No it’s not 24 hours a day in everything they do. But it’s there. Life can be hard for everyone, but white people have 1 less source of a challenge. Their lives matter too, but sometimes it feels like black peoples lives matter less.

Name one thing that is an extra challenge to black people due SOLELY to the color of their skin, not consequences from lifestyle choices, actions, mindsets, or associations. Color of skin only.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Name one thing that is an extra challenge to black people due SOLELY to the color of their skin, not consequences from lifestyle choices, actions, mindsets, or associations. Color of skin only.

https://www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-racial-discrimination

1. During the 2015–2016 school year, Black students represented only 15% of total US student enrollment, but they made up 35% of students suspended once, 44% of students suspended more than once, and 36% of students expelled. The US Department of Education concluded that this disparity is “not explained by more frequent or more serious misbehavior by students of color.”[1]

2. In New York City, 88% of police stops in 2018 involved Black and Latinx people, while 10% involved white people. (Of those stops, 70% were completely innocent.)[2]

3. In one US survey, 15.8% of students reported experiencing race-based bullying or harassment. Research has found significant associations between racial bullying and negative mental and physical health in students.[3]

4. From 2013 to 2017, white patients in the US received better quality health care than about 34% of Hispanic patients, 40% of Black patients, and 40% of Native American patients.[4]

5. Black women are 3 to 4 times more likely to experience a pregnancy-related death than white women, even at similar levels of income and education.[5]

6. Black Americans are more likely than white Americans to be arrested. Once arrested, they are more likely to be convicted, and once convicted, they are more likely to experience lengthy prison sentences.[6]

7. Black Americans and white Americans use drugs at similar rates, but Black Americans are 6 times more likely to be arrested for it.[7]

8. On average, Black men in the US receive sentences that are 19.1% longer than those of white men convicted for the same crimes.[8]

9. In the US, Black individuals are twice as likely to be unemployed than white individuals. Once employed, Black individuals earn nearly 25% less than their white counterparts.[9]

10. One US study found that job resumes with traditionally white-sounding names received 50% more callbacks than those with traditionally Black names.[10]

11. In the US, Black workers are less likely than white workers to be employed in a job that is consistent with their level of education.[11]

Deleted member 2897

There are all kinds of studies out there on this topic. One of them is a study on job applicants - people named John were significantly more likely to get called back than a person named Marcus, even with an exact copy of the resume. There are peer reviewed studies on police interactions that have been linked on this site - one was I think was Harvard, Which accounted for compliance and noncompliance and police interactions, and black people were significantly more likely to have adverse treatment by police officers. Again, even accounting for the same behavior in the interactions. I could go on for quite a long time.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No. I suggest you do some research on the movement to see color in individuals. We are no longer attempting to create a color blind society. When you hear terms such as racial justice thrown around that is a dead giveaway that what I am saying is correct. The BLM movement that is so prominent today is certainly not for a color blind society. They view skin color as something that should be seen and concessions granted to those who have been historically oppressed. For example, the Governor of Kentucky has said he will ensure free health care to all black people. That is certainly not a color blind vision for his state. For those that oppose the Governor's agenda, cries of racists have been hurled at them consistently. I don't think you have a clear understanding of what social justice is. But don't worry. A majority of people lack a true understanding of the movement. As you learn more about it, I'm confident you will see it's evils and understand that justice needs no qualifier.

Yeah, right. We're talking about what CPJ said, and whether "many" people would see something which is obviously the antithesis of racism as racist. If that's so, lets see how "many" call him out for his "racism". What you said sounds like the kind of unexamined nonsense that people spout without thinking about what they're saying, all the while moving the goalposts to fit their narrative. As a reminder, here's what he said:

"I wanted to respond to my former players about my stance on racism. I detest racism and would hope that someday we can live in a world that doesn’t see color or ethnicity but that we could be judged as individuals. Unfortunately we aren’t there right now but I pray for that day!!" -= Paul Johnson

Milwaukee

Banned

1. During the 2015–2016 school year, Black students represented only 15% of total US student enrollment, but they made up 35% of students suspended once, 44% of students suspended more than once, and 36% of students expelled. The US Department of Education concluded that this disparity is “not explained by more frequent or more serious misbehavior by students of color.”[1]
    -don't act up in school
  2. In New York City, 88% of police stops in 2018 involved Black and Latinx people, while 10% involved white people. (Of those stops, 70% were completely innocent.)[2]
    -this has to stop
  3. In one US survey, 15.8% of students reported experiencing race-based bullying or harassment. Research has found significant associations between racial bullying and negative mental and physical health in students.[3]
    -this is absurd and useless data
  4. From 2013 to 2017, white patients in the US received better quality health care than about 34% of Hispanic patients, 40% of Black patients, and 40% of Native American patients.[4]
    -misleading stupid biased data point. If you work hard and are successful, you can afford to go to the best doctors. You're trying to imply some ridiculous scenario that almost sounds like one of those "2 guys walk into a bar" jokes but you're implying that 2 guys walk into the same doctor, and the white guy got the good treatment while the doctor half assed it on the black guy. Gtfoh with this bs
  5. Black women are 3 to 4 times more likely to experience a pregnancy-related death than white women, even at similar levels of income and education.[5]
    -that is unfortunate, but see above
  6. Black Americans are more likely than white Americans to be arrested. Once arrested, they are more likely to be convicted, and once convicted, they are more likely to experience lengthy prison sentences.[6]
    -why would you even use this as an argument in your defense
  7. Black Americans and white Americans use drugs at similar rates, but Black Americans are 6 times more likely to be arrested for it.[7]
    -be smart when you drink and do your drugs, like I do
  8. On average, Black men in the US receive sentences that are 19.1% longer than those of white men convicted for the same crimes.[8]
    -another incomplete data point (in some cases it's one person's 2nd offense meaning increased sentence)
  9. In the US, Black individuals are twice as likely to be unemployed than white individuals. Once employed, Black individuals earn nearly 25% less than their white counterparts.[9]
    -why would you even use this as an argument in your defense
  10. One US study found that job resumes with traditionally white-sounding names received 50% more callbacks than those with traditionally Black names.[10]
    -another doozy. And in 48 "other US studies" they claimed this was completely ridiculous and fabricated
  11. In the US, Black workers are less likely than white workers to be employed in a job that is consistent with their level of education.[11]
- why would you even use this as an argument in your defense

See notes above. If that was supposed to be some sort of influential list then oh boy. That was probably the worst display of someone trying to make a case for something that I've ever witnessed here.

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned
I think since we've completely veered off course from anything relating to PJ we can probably lock this up. But Bobongo should have the opportunity to have the last word if he wishes to reply since I just destroyed his list above, but after that I say we lock it.

What say you guys?

Deleted member 2897

See notes above. If that was supposed to be some sort of influential list then oh boy. That was probably the worst display of someone trying to make a case for something that I've ever witnessed here.

I love how when you can’t refuse something, you just make up an argument. Like the one about job applicants – you just made up they were 48 studies that contradicted it. Of course that’s completely false. I’d settle for just one single study contradicting it if you could post a link.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We’ve got 2 basic sides here:

A. One wants to manage outcomes regardless of how we get there. If white homelessness was 10x of black homelessness instead of figuring out how to solve the problem, ie maybe it’s joblessness & drug addiction causing the homelessness they’d just as soon leave the individual jobless and a crack head as long as they provided him a flop house at government expense. They want government to be responsible for the outcome & the individual.

B. The other side wants effective use of government resources and would prefer keeping jobs in the US, eliminating drug dealers from communities, etc so people would not become crack heads incapable of holding a job. They want policies preventing or at a minimum not incentivizing business to move their jobs overseas, the Mexico, etc. That way the individuals that would fall into trouble, ie drug addiction followed by joblessness would have opportunity not to be homeless. At that point it’s a personal decision.

It’s about this simple. One path has an end result where people have opportunity, maintain their dignity, etc. They’re frequently referred to as racists by the race baiters. The other side wants the disadvantaged continually beat down, utterly dependent on government that’s telling them they’re not really good enough to compete in America. They foment violence using the people they’re supporting as pawns in a cruel game trying to score political points, let schools rot & take all the money to do studies that yield the same pitiful results, want the druggies out on the street cultivating more druggies so they can run & profit from another failed government program, etc. Sad lot those people are.

TechPreacher

Banned

1. During the 2015–2016 school year, Black students represented only 15% of total US student enrollment, but they made up 35% of students suspended once, 44% of students suspended more than once, and 36% of students expelled. The US Department of Education concluded that this disparity is “not explained by more frequent or more serious misbehavior by students of color.”[1] Actions, not skin color. The US Department of Education wasn't in the classrooms to witness what the students were doing to be suspended. And of that 15% of total US student enrollment, most of the times they are in mostly black schools with mostly black teachers and administrators. So, are black teachers doing injustice when they contribute to those percentages of suspensions? Not a single one of those students got suspended for being too quiet in class, coming to school everyday, studying too hard, or making too many good grades.

2. In New York City, 88% of police stops in 2018 involved Black and Latinx people, while 10% involved white people. (Of those stops, 70% were completely innocent.)[2] Actions and associations, not skin color. Big cities have to appropriate most of their resources into high-crime areas, as is reasonable. Therefore, there are going to be more interactions with the police when there is more crime. Also, the police force in NYC is very diverse, so how are the non-white policemen being unfair in this?

3. In one US survey, 15.8% of students reported experiencing race-based bullying or harassment. Research has found significant associations between racial bullying and negative mental and physical health in students.[3] Did the survey mention which races were being bullied? Isn't it possible that all races reported bullying by other races?

4. From 2013 to 2017, white patients in the US received better quality health care than about 34% of Hispanic patients, 40% of Black patients, and 40% of Native American patients.[4] Choices and actions, not skin color. If I have worked hard, gotten a high-paying job, live in a good area with better hospitals, and have good insurance benefits, of course I will receive better care than someone who lives in poverty and must go to a local, government-run clinic. Hispanics, blacks, and native americans could have done the same thing as their white counterparts. How do I know? Because many of them do.

5. Black women are 3 to 4 times more likely to experience a pregnancy-related death than white women, even at similar levels of income and education.[5] So are you saying it's biological, related to skin color? If not, it's choices and actions, because if a person has the opportunity (ie. income and education, and everything that comes with it) to go to a better facility, they do. Doctors and nurses don't discriminate from room to room, depending on what color skin is in there. So I don't know what this even means.

6. Black Americans are more likely than white Americans to be arrested. Once arrested, they are more likely to be convicted, and once convicted, they are more likely to experience lengthy prison sentences.[6] Choices, actions, mindsets, and associations, not skin color. This is nothing more than a numbers phenomenon. When a group commits a disproportionate amount of crimes, namely violent crimes, then the effect will be more arrests, more convictions, and lengthier prison sentences. If that same group decided to stop committing those crimes by changing their choices, actions, mindsets, and associations, all those numbers would decrease, and another group would have the higher percentage. Again, nobody gets arrested, convicted, and sentenced for singing too loud in Sunday school or studying too hard for math finals.

7. Black Americans and white Americans use drugs at similar rates, but Black Americans are 6 times more likely to be arrested for it.[7] These stats are wrong, but I'll let you find the real ones. Again, it's actions and associations, not skin color. Most drug arrests are not instigated by using drugs; they are for other unlawful activities that police then find drugs on the criminal. So, I've already explained the connections in above points. But the most important thing to take away is that this is a crime that is 100% preventable by any person of any skin color. Just don't do drugs, and don't associate with people that do drugs, and you will never be arrested for drugs.

8. On average, Black men in the US receive sentences that are 19.1% longer than those of white men convicted for the same crimes.[8] Already explained.

9. In the US, Black individuals are twice as likely to be unemployed than white individuals. Once employed, Black individuals earn nearly 25% less than their white counterparts.[9] Actions, mindsets, choices, and associations, not skin color. Employment is not a right; it must be earned. Businesses want the best and brightest to help them succeed. A person that is employable will be employed. Some people are just not employable. Anyone can work hard and be employable, regardless of skin color.

10. One US study found that job resumes with traditionally white-sounding names received 50% more callbacks than those with traditionally Black names.[10] Well, duh. Who didn't know that? Names have meaning. I would never name my daughter Jezebel, because it has a bad connotation. If all you have is a name on a resume, who are you going to call first? Sharon or Sheneneh? John Smith or Osama bin Laden? Choices have consequences, and so do names.

11. In the US, Black workers are less likely than white workers to be employed in a job that is consistent with their level of education.[11] Actions, not skin color. Level of education is only one variable in the formula. If I say it will be 75 degrees tomorrow, most people think of a nice sunny day, but it could be raining and gray. Level of education. In what field? All bachelor's degrees are not equal. Then, how hard have you worked since you achieved that level of education? Again, business owners want the best and brightest. Why? Because the business owner has only one goal in mind -- to make more money for himself. And if you can help him do that, then he rewards you, if not, then he doesn't. It's that simple.

Replies in red.

TechPreacher

Banned
You can’t actually be ignorant enough to not see the faults in what you’re saying, can you? Because if so.... yikes, especially for a preacher.

I feel the same way about you. People that believe as I do on these issues tend to follow an upward trajectory in life. People that believe that long list of excuses tend to wallow in victimhood and nonachievement in life. Of course, there are exceptions in both camps, but overall, it's an accurate statement. Excuses are tools of the incompetent. Red, yellow, black, or white, a man is responsible for his own actions. No excuses.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You can’t actually be ignorant enough to not see the faults in what you’re saying, can you? Because if so.... yikes, especially for a preacher.
It’s hard to read but some of his responses are no worse than than what’s being suggested. Here’s a couple of examples:

A. Black students are expelled at 2.5x of what should be expected on percentage of school populations.

Black students primarily attend schools in Liberal school districts, littered with Liberal principals and teachers, dominated by Liberal School Boards wouldn’t you agree? Who exactly is committing this racist behavior if that’s what you’re ascribing the unexpected outcome to?

B. In NYC blacks comprise 25% of the population but are accosted by police greater than 3x the expected rate. Did Conservatives recently invade NYC and take over the Mayor’s Office, the Borough Presidents, City Council, etc. Last I checked NYC was heavily Liberal. Are all these people fake Liberals that talk about being soft on crime but tell their people behind closed doors to pull over every black guy they see driving a car?

C. His comments about healthcare are self-explanatory. They went on Obamacare, lost their doctors if they had them & being lower income in general they ended up having to subsist off of poorly run Liberal government programs. No wonder their outcomes were poorer. Nanny State failure, classic example.

D. I’m not even sure what kind of racist claim could be made to erroneously rationalize why black women who are pregnant die at a higher rate than white women. Again, it’s possible it’s they go to hospitals in Liberal run cities at a greater percentage & it’s another example of Liberal incompetence.

I could go on but the common thread here is outcomes across a wide variety of metrics are poorer for black people than any other demographic. It’s sad our nation has been able to identify the root cause across 3-4+ generations of Americans & but completely unwilling to execute corrective action. The nation’s current & past leadership responsible for this should be embarrassed. You wouldn’t know it because scumbags like Cuomo, Schumer & Pelosi get incessently praised in the media for their disgusting, damaging, destructive policies. What should of happened is the incompetent politicians get voted out of office & people capable of fixing the problem get voted in. Nope, we rinse & repeat & expect different results. Isn’t that the definition of insanity? Will our nation ever wake up? Or is that get woked?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I feel the same way about you. People that believe as I do on these issues tend to follow an upward trajectory in life. People that believe that long list of excuses tend to wallow in victimhood and nonachievement in life. Of course, there are exceptions in both camps, but overall, it's an accurate statement. Excuses are tools of the incompetent. Red, yellow, black, or white, a man is responsible for his own actions. No excuses.
It has nothing to do with excuses. The Equal Housing Act didn’t go into effect until 1968. We’re barely even 1 generation passed that. It didn’t really start being put to use until the 80s, and some cities still have “redlines.” You say black people should just go to better schools, and make better grades, and make more money. But you don’t realize how truly ignorant that is. Black people are “forced” to go to worse schools because those are the way the redlined districts were drawn. Going to underfunded schools sets you up for a much harder path in everything you do for the rest of your life. And no, it’s not just black people or minorities who are “forced” into these underfunded schools, it happens to whites too. But, black people are disproportionately affected by the issue, because 1 generation ago, their parents and grandparent literally COULDN’T go to a properly funded “white” school.

White privilege doesn’t mean white people’s lives aren’t hard, or white people don't face hardships. It means black people and other minorities are affected by those hardships at a much high, and a disproportionate rate. I’m sure if you looked at the rate at which whites got out of those underfunded schools and ended up with much better lives for themselves, and compared it to the minorities that do the same, those rates would look similar. But because more minorities are in those schools, it creates larger populations of minorities who are disadvantaged compared to the whites in the same situations.

You keep talking about choices, and how they affect people’s lives. Well no sh*t. But if you take 1 person who is born into a poor family, attends a poor school, has to get a job in high school just to help make ends meet, and can’t afford to go to college. Then take somebody who is born to a middle class family, attends a very average school system, works part time over the summers to earn some spending money, goes to a decent college on student loans. Then, compare those 2 to a kid that grows up in a rich family, goes to an elite school, doesn’t have to work at all, goes to an elite college with no student loans. Who do you think will end up with the “best” life? Do you not understand that there are tons more minorities in that first group than either of the second 2? Why is that, you might say? Because that’s how the system was developed.

We’re literally 1 generation removed from the Civil Rights era. I graduated in 2018, and my parents were born in the 60s. You truly expect racism, and systemic racism to just end over 1 generation? My grandparents went to segregated schools. I’m sure there are people on this board who attended segregated schools. But you think since that doesn’t happen anymore that black people were just given a clean slate full of the same opportunities that white people had denied them since this country was founded? If you do, then you’re ignorant. And there’s no other option.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

This was my personal favorite, TechPreacher's answer to #10:

Well, duh. Who didn't know that? Names have meaning. I would never name my daughter Jezebel, because it has a bad connotation. If all you have is a name on a resume, who are you going to call first? Sharon or Sheneneh? John Smith or Osama bin Laden? Choices have consequences, and so do names.

I mean, talk about your built-in ethnic bias. "Sharon or Sheneneh"? Who cares?

"Jezebel"? LOL

Osama bin Laden? WTF?

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think @JacketOff gets it. Fix the poorly run schools, make neighborhoods safe from violent criminals and druggies, quit running jobs to China & stop perpetuating anti-family policies, etc. We all know who’s on the wrong side of these basic elements blocking progress. There’s an election in November. Don’t make dumb choices and you got a chance of electing positive change. Sadly, my money’s on we’ll elect more of what’s damaged us.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

They're not excuses - they're reasons borne of systemic discrimination. To deny that this discrimination, much of which has continued until the present, should have no effect is to deny reality. It's like running a 200 meter sprint against the other guy who has to run the 200 meter hurdles, and calling it an even race. "No excuses" - sarcasm off.

TechPreacher

Banned
It has nothing to do with excuses. The Equal Housing Act didn’t go into effect until 1968. We’re barely even 1 generation passed that. It didn’t really start being put to use until the 80s, and some cities still have “redlines.” You say black people should just go to better schools, and make better grades, and make more money. But you don’t realize how truly ignorant that is. Black people are “forced” to go to worse schools because those are the way the redlined districts were drawn. Going to underfunded schools sets you up for a much harder path in everything you do for the rest of your life. And no, it’s not just black people or minorities who are “forced” into these underfunded schools, it happens to whites too. But, black people are disproportionately affected by the issue, because 1 generation ago, their parents and grandparent literally COULDN’T go to a properly funded “white” school.

White privilege doesn’t mean white people’s lives aren’t hard, or white people don't face hardships. It means black people and other minorities are affected by those hardships at a much high, and a disproportionate rate. I’m sure if you looked at the rate at which whites got out of those underfunded schools and ended up with much better lives for themselves, and compared it to the minorities that do the same, those rates would look similar. But because more minorities are in those schools, it creates larger populations of minorities who are disadvantaged compared to the whites in the same situations.

You keep talking about choices, and how they affect people’s lives. Well no sh*t. But if you take 1 person who is born into a poor family, attends a poor school, has to get a job in high school just to help make ends meet, and can’t afford to go to college. Then take somebody who is born to a middle class family, attends a very average school system, works part time over the summers to earn some spending money, goes to a decent college on student loans. Then, compare those 2 to a kid that grows up in a rich family, goes to an elite school, doesn’t have to work at all, goes to an elite college with no student loans. Who do you think will end up with the “best” life? Do you not understand that there are tons more minorities in that first group than either of the second 2? Why is that, you might say? Because that’s how the system was developed.

We’re literally 1 generation removed from the Civil Rights era. I graduated in 2018, and my parents were born in the 60s. You truly expect racism, and systemic racism to just end over 1 generation? My grandparents went to segregated schools. I’m sure there are people on this board who attended segregated schools. But you think since that doesn’t happen anymore that black people were just given a clean slate full of the same opportunities that white people had denied them since this country was founded? If you do, then you’re ignorant. And there’s no other option.

Keep believing that way and you will wonder in 50 years why things never got better.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Keep believing that way and you will wonder in 50 years why things never got better.
Keep believing that way!?!? Jesus Christ man. Aren’t preachers supposed to be compassionate and understanding? A lot of the black kids that have played sports at GT since integration have been the first in their families to go to college, much less a PWI.

“Just get good grades, and then get a good job.” Dog, how do you expect somebody living in poverty to focus on getting good grades. Over 27% of black people live in poverty, compared to around 10% of whites. Once again, why? Because it’s literally been ONE generation since segregation ended. Living in poverty means just about any able bodied kid that’s 16 has to get a job just to help their family survive. Considering how many black kids live with only 1 parent, that makes it infinitely harder. Do you honestly believe 1 generation is enough to completely turn a family’s financial status around? Plus, you even said it yourself that YOU would discriminate against somebody because of their NAME. That’s literally racist.

It’s unbelievable people still think like this, much less somebody that associates themselves with Georgia Tech, AND the Lord. It’s f**king ridiculous actually.

Milwaukee

Banned
Keep believing that way!?!? Jesus Christ man. Aren’t preachers supposed to be compassionate and understanding? A lot of the black kids that have played sports at GT since integration have been the first in their families to go to college, much less a PWI.

“Just get good grades, and then get a good job.” Dog, how do you expect somebody living in poverty to focus on getting good grades. Over 27% of black people live in poverty, compared to around 10% of whites. Once again, why? Because it’s literally been ONE generation since segregation ended. Living in poverty means just about any able bodied kid that’s 16 has to get a job just to help their family survive. Considering how many black kids live with only 1 parent, that makes it infinitely harder. Do you honestly believe 1 generation is enough to completely turn a family’s financial status around? Plus, you even said it yourself that YOU would discriminate against somebody because of their NAME. That’s literally racist.

It’s unbelievable people still think like this, much less somebody that associates themselves with Georgia Tech, AND the Lord. It’s f**king ridiculous actually.

“How does someone living in poverty focus on working hard and getting good grades to become successful?”

Dude you should stop, you’re obviously worked up and not making any sense whatsoever. Look at what you just said above and try not to laugh. Growing up in poverty is the exact motivation for people to work hard and rise out of that bad situation like millions of African Americans have done. That’s one of the dumbest statements I’ve ever seen here. It’s unbelievable people still think like this, much less somebody that associates themselves with Georgia Tech.

See what I did there.

Status
Not open for further replies.