CPJ, former players and racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Would it be fair to say that most everything on social media doesn't mean sh*t?
(especially if it comes from celebrities,politicians or athletes)
Just a question. Why did you feel the need to single out famous people when saying their social media posts don’t mean sh*t? In that case do you believe regular people’s posts mean more than celebrities? I personally think using social media as some sort of political board is dumb. I cringe every time I see a politician tweet to try to get Internet points. But I do the same when regular people do as well.

I believe some don’t want celebrities to speak out on political issues because their views don’t align with each other. Most of them time, the same people who tell athletes to “stick to sports” when they don’t agree with their opinion are the first to praise athletes who speak out in support of their opinions.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I can be a real *** too, I hope you have never gotten racist vibes form me.

Edit: I was a real fan of yours while you were on the field. I'm happy you're here to give a players' perspective on certain stances, and haven't been chased away.

I agree with this post.

I resemble the first remark, and agree wholeheartedly with the second comment!

GT_EE78

Banned
Just a question. Why did you feel the need to single out famous people when saying their social media posts don’t mean sh*t? In that case do you believe regular people’s posts mean more than celebrities? I personally think using social media as some sort of political board is dumb. I cringe every time I see a politician tweet to try to get Internet points. But I do the same when regular people do as well.

I believe some don’t want celebrities to speak out on political issues because their views don’t align with each other. Most of them time, the same people who tell athletes to “stick to sports” when they don’t agree with their opinion are the first to praise athletes who speak out in support of their opinions.
I think it's just that famous people are harder to ignore because news media covers what they say on social media. maybe the news media should give social media less coverage.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said the same thing i would have said. But unfortunately, many believe that is racism these days. Crazy world we are living in.

I assume this is in reference to the idea that the statement "all lives matter" is racist? Seems some explanation might help you gain a better understanding of why that is. In a vacuum, nobody thinks the idea that all races should be treated as equals is racist or offensive. Of course, absolutely everyone agrees that all lives matter. Literally everyone. But the statement "all lives matter" did not come about in a vacuum. That statement was developed as a direct response -- and intentional contrast to -- the statement that "black lives matter." The statement "all lives matter" is considered offensive, not because it has an inherently racist message, but because it either misunderstands the meaning of "black lives matter" and/or because it inherently seeks to dismiss or deny the underlying meaning of "black lives matter."

The phrase "black lives matter" came about to raise awareness that, historically and still today, institutional policies, structures, and racism have led to a situation in this country where black lives are treated to matter less than other lives. The statement doesn't in any way mean that only black lives matter, it is just an acknowledgment that black lives in many ways have been treated in this country as mattering less and seeking to rectify that inequity.

The response "all lives matter" either fails to understand that meaning (by wrongly assuming it means only black lives matter) or seeks to deny the underlying intent of the phrase that points out the inequity for black people in our country. And, yes, if that is the intent of the speaker, to deny that black people are in any way treated worse than white people, that intent and use of "all lives matters" is considered racist.

An analogy that has circulated illustrates the point pretty clearly. It is as if some people have their houses on fire and cry "houses on fire matter" in an attempt to get the fire department to come help them. Only to have their neighbors without their houses on fire cry back, no, "all houses matter," in an attempt to either deny that there is a problem with the houses on fire or prevent the fire department from coming to aid the houses that need help.

To sum up. In a vacuum, it is absolutely not racist at all to feel that all races should matter equally. On the other hand, it is considered racist by many to use rhetoric to undermine a minority group's struggle for equality or to use rhetoric that dismisses that inequity exists in the first place.

Hope that helps. If still confused, check out this LINK.

(Edited to say that I don't mean to say CPJ's words were racist. Just helping to clear up a misunderstanding that seemed inherent in your response.)

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I assume this is in reference to the idea that the statement "all lives matter" is racist? Seems some explanation might help you gain a better understanding of why that is. In a vacuum, nobody thinks the idea that all races should be treated as equals is racist or offensive. Of course, absolutely everyone agrees that all lives matter. Literally everyone. But the statement "all lives matter" did not come about in a vacuum. That statement was developed as a direct response -- and intentional contrast to -- the statement that "black lives matter." The statement "all lives matter" is considered offensive, not because it has an inherently racist message, but because it either misunderstands the meaning of "black lives matter" and/or because it inherently seeks to dismiss or deny the underlying meaning of "black lives matter."

The phrase "black lives matter" came about to raise awareness that, historically and still today, institutional policies, structures, and racism have led to a situation in this country where black lives are treated to matter less than other lives. The statement doesn't in any way mean that only black lives matter, it is just an acknowledgment that black lives in many ways have been treated in this country as mattering less and seeking to rectify that inequity.

The response "all lives matter" either fails to understand that meaning (by wrongly assuming it means only black lives matter) or seeks to deny the underlying intent of the phrase that points out the inequity for black people in our country. And, yes, if that is the intent of the speaker, to deny that black people are in any way treated worse than white people, that intent and use of "all lives matters" is considered racist.

An analogy that has circulated illustrates the point pretty clearly. It is as if some people have their houses on fire and cry "houses on fire matter" in an attempt to get the fire department to come help them. Only to have their neighbors without their houses on fire cry back, no, "all houses matter," in an attempt to either deny that there is a problem with the houses on fire or prevent the fire department from coming to aid the houses that need help.

To sum up. In a vacuum, it is absolutely not racist at all to feel that all races should matter equally. On the other hand, it is considered racist by many to use rhetoric to undermine a minority group's struggle for equality or to use rhetoric that dismisses that inequity exists in the first place.

Hope that helps. If still confused, check out this LINK.

(Edited to say that I don't mean to say CPJ's words were racist. Just helping to clear up a misunderstanding that seemed inherent in your response.)

Yep, that's the new thinking. Racism is this era's communism. It reminds me of the era when even asking the question if a person's association with someone who once read Marx really makes them a communist implicates the asker of the question as a communist. I'm sure some people reading this will assume that since I'm daring to poke at the prevailing mentality of "100% with us or 100% against us" must mean that I'm a racist. :( Here's some news...I'm rarely 100% with anyone but myself, and often not even that. Call me an old coot, but there it is.

That's the conundrum these public figures face, you must actively and vocally support whatever the current group-think is on the topic, say all the right words and have this topic as your personal number-one goal or else you are a reprehensible human being. I'm sure CPJ, like me, is very supportive of a movement that continues to make progress in social equality, continues to work against abusive police, and continues to make us a better version of ourselves. But in the world of social media, just like middle school, if you don't pick on the uncool kids you run the risk of being labeled as one yourself.

It makes me very sad to see us back here.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
to deny that black people are in any way treated worse than white people, that intent and use of "all lives matters" is considered racist
This is crap. To make this statement is not racist. Racism is either treating all people of different races differently based on their race (which is a new definition of racism) or acting on the belief that one race is superior to another (the original meaning of racism). To make this statement may be unpopular or perceived as trying to minimize the movement, but that doesn't make it racist. That word is thrown around way too much.

I do believe there is institutional racism and it needs to be addressed. I think it should be addressed as part of the National Discussion (I don't know how to fix it), but we need to stop flinging that word at anything that resembles a disagreement regarding racial equality and equity. We need to stop calling each other racists just because we see things differently. The dialog will never occur when there is name-calling.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
This is crap. To make this statement is not racist. Racism is either treating all people of different races differently based on their race (which is a new definition of racism) or acting on the belief that one race is superior to another (the original meaning of racism). To make this statement may be unpopular or perceived as trying to minimize the movement, but that doesn't make it racist. That word is thrown around way too much.

I do believe there is institutional racism and it needs to be addressed. I think it should be addressed as part of the National Discussion (I don't know how to fix it), but we need to stop flinging that word at anything that resembles a disagreement regarding racial equality and equity. We need to stop calling each other racists just because we see things differently. The dialog will never occur when there is name-calling.

Agree that the word gets thrown around way too much, but I strongly disagree that there is institutional racism. Curious where you see it?

Milwaukee

Banned
Agree that the word gets thrown around way too much, but I strongly disagree that there is institutional racism. Curious where you see it?

It doesn’t actually exist. It’s something that weak people and apologists talk about because of their inner demons and inadequacies.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
It doesn’t actually exist. It’s something that weak people and apologists talk about because of their inner demons and inadequacies.

My mom grew up in Alabama, and at the time, black people couldn't go into the same bathrooms, schools, drink from the same water fountain.

You're telling me that my mom (who's still alive) grew up in legalized racism, but then it just disappeared? Like it just went away **POOF** when southern states got their asses handed to them by the federal government for being unconstitutional, un-American little bitches? My daughter (who is 10) can ask her Gigi what its like to be separated by color. Think about that....how ****ed up is that? Why we pretend like legal racism, state mandated prejudice is somehow some distant memory, some far off historical event, is beyond me. How naive do you have to be to think institutional racism doesn't exist.

Deleted member 2897

My mom grew up in Alabama, and at the time, black people couldn't go into the same bathrooms, schools, drink from the same water fountain.

You're telling me that my mom (who's still alive) grew up in legalized racism, but then it just disappeared? Like it just went away **POOF** when southern states got their asses handed to them by the federal government for being unconstitutional, un-American little bitches? My daughter (who is 10) can ask her Gigi what its like to be separated by color. Think about that....how ****ed up is that? Why we pretend like legal racism, state mandated prejudice is somehow some distant memory, some far off historical event, is beyond me. How naive do you have to be to think institutional racism doesn't exist.

The only part you’re wrong about is that it’s limited to southern states. In many ways it’s worse outside the south.

Milwaukee

Banned

Yes, it disappeared long long long ago. I, as well, grew up in Anniston, Alabama so try that card with someone else. You obviously picked the wrong person for that attempt of an analogy. You’re part of the problem thinking you’re being some “woke” captain and in your head you are fully convinced, unfortunately. Every single African American friend, colleague, love interest, etc in my life disagrees with your bs take 100%. Keep being inadequate but don’t push your issues on the real people. I’m not trying to come down on you but I know I kinda am and I apologize for that, but the rhetoric you’re spewing about racism is extremely minute. Of course it exists in outlier situations. Murder, rape, racism, theft, etc none of that will ever go away. But to act like it’s everywhere is part of the problem and why nobody will take you seriously coming at people with that bs take.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, it disappeared long long long ago. I, as well, grew up in Anniston, Alabama so try that card with someone else. You obviously picked the wrong person for that attempt of an analogy. You’re part of the problem thinking you’re being some “woke” captain and in your head you are fully convinced, unfortunately. Every single African American friend, colleague, love interest, etc in my life disagrees with your bs take 100%. Keep being inadequate but don’t push your issues on the real people. I’m not trying to come down on you but I know I kinda am and I apologize for that, but the rhetoric you’re spewing about racism is extremely minute. Of course it exists in outlier situations. Murder, rape, racism, theft, etc none of that will ever go away. But to act like it’s everywhere is part of the problem and why nobody will take you seriously coming at people with that bs take.

It literally didn't disappear "long long long ago". How old are you? Like what's your definition of "long long long ago"? Seriously?

I'm not woke, I'm practical. Like how stupid would I have to be to say something that was ingrained in our country, and legal, for 100s of years just disappeared in a generation? Like, I have no "white guilt" about it, its just obvious....I'm just not an idiot.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

Also, Anniston LMAO. The home of "annexit", but yes, institutional racism doesn't exist! EL OH EL

You act like saying the word implies...what exactly? I'm just acknowledging that it exists. All sorts of bull**** exists. .01% of the American population as far as wealth also have great advantages built in. Everyone, everywhere as some folks that are better positioned and some that are not...How is that "woke"? That's capitalism.

Milwaukee

Banned
Also, Anniston LMAO. The home of "annexit", but yes, institutional racism doesn't exist! EL OH EL

You act like saying the word implies...what exactly? I'm just acknowledging that it exists. All sorts of bull**** exists. .01% of the American population as far as wealth also have great advantages built in. Everyone, everywhere as some folks that are better positioned and some that are not...How is that "woke"? That's capitalism.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm still curious, you said institutional racism "disappeared long long long ago". The civil rights act was signed in '64. It outlawed discrimination in public accommodations (privately owned restaurants, hotels, and stores, and in private schools and workplaces). That's 56 years. That's not "long long long ago" by anyone's understanding of time who is older than, say, 16?

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

ohhhhhhhhhhh, the I "have a black friend" line....

Dang, you got me! Look everyone, this guy knows BLACK PEOPLE and he says on this anonymous internet board that institutional racism doesn't exist and all of his BLACK FRIENDS agree too....

Status
Not open for further replies.